i actually had a pedal die on me

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
and it wasn't even my fault. usually i kill them with bad mods. but not this time.

i bought an MXR blue box to try out tonight. it died within an hour. boo-urns. it sounded cool until then though.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• when that happens you're supposed to say that you were rocking way too hard. you have to take the blame!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.midfielectronics.com/

similar to the blue box.

I've always wanted to try that. or some kind of fuzz bomb with a POG.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.midfielectronics.com/

similar to the blue box.

I've always wanted to try that. or some kind of fuzz bomb with a POG.

i had the boss OC-3 for a while. overall, i think it's a better pedal than the blue box. however, the blue box is more low-res synthy which is it's best feature. i checked out that mid-fi site after i found that wilco pedalboard.
    exhausted wrote:
    i had the boss OC-3 for a while. overall, i think it's a better pedal than the blue box. however, the blue box is more low-res synthy which is it's best feature. i checked out that mid-fi site after i found that wilco pedalboard.

yeah, first place I went too.

the blue box is intriguing. I can't remember but I think the new octron from Dave Fox can go up and down.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i'm going to give the whammy another go (found a cheap one) and one of the boss PS-2/3/5.

my POD has some synth patches but i don't like them much.
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm going to give the whammy another go (found a cheap one) and one of the boss PS-2/3/5.

my POD has some synth patches but i don't like them much.

the whammy has always been cool as hell it's just hard to justify it's use at 200 bucks.

if you found it cheap, go for it. it should be ridiculous with the FF.
    after i watched gomez's sound guy use the whammy at the desk to warp some channels i decided to try it again.

we'll see how it goes.

the foxrox octron looks cool but more than i want to spend on a niche effect. i only like octave down too so the one and two octave down is what i'm interested in.

my POD has such an effect but for whatever reason, it sounds like absolutely shit.
    exhausted wrote:
    after i watched gomez's sound guy use the whammy at the desk to warp some channels i decided to try it again.

we'll see how it goes.

the foxrox octron looks cool but more than i want to spend on a niche effect. i only like octave down too so the one and two octave down is what i'm interested in.

my POD has such an effect but for whatever reason, it sounds like absolutely shit.

well it is pretty difficult to get a good octave sound up or down. It's hard to control. I spent half an hour with an Octane 3 and decided that spending 200+ for an octave fuzz was just silly, at least for me anyway. The whammy is at least flexible.

I'd like to ab a new one with an old one to be able to tell the real differences.
    i should have kept my old OC-2. blah. it was fun to run my toy keyboard through.

the POD's octavia patch is decent enough for the rare times i'd use it (once so far). and the fuzz factory has a certain setting that can create an subtle octave up.

other than that, octave up just makes my brain cry.
    exhausted wrote:
    i should have kept my old OC-2. blah. it was fun to run my toy keyboard through.

the POD's octavia patch is decent enough for the rare times i'd use it (once so far). and the fuzz factory has a certain setting that can create an subtle octave up.

other than that, octave up just makes my brain cry.

yeah, that's what makes hendrix that much more impressive. Rare is the guitarist that can actually pull off the octave up and make it special.
    i opened it up. it appears the battery clip may have been shorting out the board. i'll have to test it tonight at the shop before i return it. maybe i'll be playing "fool in the rain" all weekend after all.

why didn't i open it up last night? good question. i was trying out all sorts of things last night and didn't think of it.

i'm tired.
    exhausted wrote:
    i opened it up. it appears the battery clip may have been shorting out the board. i'll have to test it tonight at the shop before i return it. maybe i'll be playing "fool in the rain" all weekend after all.

why didn't i open it up last night? good question. i was trying out all sorts of things last night and didn't think of it.

i'm tired.

little hands make for tight stitching and crappy soldiering.
    the board looks solid. my phase 90 is great. it just didn't have a battery in it so the clip was dangling over the solder side, metal side down.

now the issue is whether the short damaged anything. unlikely but you never know.
    exhausted wrote:
    the board looks solid. my phase 90 is great. it just didn't have a battery in it so the clip was dangling over the solder side, metal side down.

now the issue is whether the short damaged anything. unlikely but you never know.

yeah, I usually put a battery in all my pedals for stability. I hope it's ok.

Where did you find a blue box?
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, I usually put a battery in all my pedals for stability. I hope it's ok.

Where did you find a blue box?

at the long & macquade i buy everything local at. all of a sudden they have a bunch of MXR. usually they just have phase 90s and dynacomps. i'd never seen one before so i jumped on it.
  • did it die or the batteriesss?

if the latter..

you should get some kind of hookup to a wall outlet. by boss dd6 used to go through batteries one or two every couple weeks.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    the battery clip shorted out, as it turns out, only the LED. so i just replaced that and it's all good now.

i generally don't use batteries at all and just run off a pedal power.

this was just a freak short circuit.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    at the long & macquade i buy everything local at. all of a sudden they have a bunch of MXR. usually they just have phase 90s and dynacomps. i'd never seen one before so i jumped on it.

Brand new, or vintage?

I know a guy here who lucked upon a vintage model a few years ago. I wanna steal it.

Then again, the new ones are script logo... nobody has to know...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    reissue. but the general consensus is they didn't screw this one up too bad. soundsgreat on my toy keyboard.

i would like to mod a couple things on it but there's no room for switches in the box unfortunately.... unless you fill up the battery compartment.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    reissue. but the general consensus is they didn't screw this one up too bad. soundsgreat on my toy keyboard.

i would like to mod a couple things on it but there's no room for switches in the box unfortunately.... unless you fill up the battery compartment.

From what I hear, it's about identical to the original. As funky an effect as it is, it would be frightening to try to make factory alterations.

What would you mod?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    put C11 on a switch to increase some treble.

and apparently you can jumper between a couple pins on one of the ICs to select between one and two octaves down.

but i took a good look in there and decided against all of it.

it's actually a pretty nifty fuzz with the octaves blended out. but i like about 25% octave 75% fuzz right now.