Comments

• i love that finish. is that the one you are going to hell for? if it plays half as well as my blue/teal i think we'll be taking the trip together.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Ah congrats man, she's beautiful, great finish. I'd almost take that over Teal. :)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    playing it last night was kind of like shock and awe. i knew it was going to be good but i had no idea it would be that good.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My dear lord, that's even better than the e-bay picks. Worth the wait.

That is one beautiful matching of wood, the burst looks perfect and it's all even. I haven't seen very many that look that good.

contented mahogany.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    exhausted wrote:
    playing it last night was kind of like shock and awe. i knew it was going to be good but i had no idea it would be that good.

She's a beauty.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • wow..... she's nice....
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    it still had the plastic on the control cavity cover. it came set up with 11s on it already so i don't have to do anything. it's heaven.
  • samicksamick Posts: 373
    *gets a huge erection just looking at it*
  • that is totally sweet!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Lotsa bite, and a neck unlike any other...

Hell, I could even string that upside down and play it myself!

Someday, among all the guitars I want to own, an SG is waiting for me.

How're the tuners holding up?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Lotsa bite, and a neck unlike any other...

Hell, I could even string that upside down and play it myself!

Someday, among all the guitars I want to own, an SG is waiting for me.

How're the tuners holding up?

the tuners are fine. the only issue is this crack at the headstock that appeared. depending on the tech you ask, it's either just a lacquer check or the beginning of the end. mind you, the tech that thinks it's doomed is an asshole so who knows.
  • exhausted wrote:
    the tuners are fine. the only issue is this crack at the headstock that appeared. depending on the tech you ask, it's either just a lacquer check or the beginning of the end. mind you, the tech that thinks it's doomed is an asshole so who knows.

Yeah, I caught that on the other threads...

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear, he eats you.

It can't be as bad as the Ibanez ArtCore I recently sold, shipped, got broke, and returned. Headstock was completely gone when I got it back. I have a profound hatred for FedEx after that...

It's the only thing that makes me hesitant about SG's. They look like an instrument of death, but they're fragile as hell.
    it'll break. or it won't break. either way i'll play the shit out of it.
  • exhausted wrote:
    it'll break. or it won't break. either way i'll play the shit out of it.

I like the sound of that...

Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll ain't gonna die
    Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll it will survive...
    I like the sound of that...

Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll ain't gonna die
    Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll it will survive...

i played the absolute shit out of it this weekend and it stayed solidly in tune and intact.

my guitars don't see a lot of travel or high risk activity so i really can't see it slipping any further.

and if it breaks, well, lots of techs are skilled enough to do a headstock repair.
  • exhausted wrote:
    and if it breaks, well, lots of techs are skilled enough to do a headstock repair.

It's not a REAL SG until it's been spliced...
    It's not a REAL SG until it's been spliced...

i understand now why ed's shattered like crystal when he smashed it.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i understand now why ed's shattered like crystal when he smashed it.

In the last week, two of my friends aquired SG's. One even got two of 'em. Another has a '62 reissue in gorgeous shape. I love all of them (even if the neck is from frickin' Mars). But I just keep waiting for one of them to slip... it's gonna happen...

My Tele could bash it's way through cinderblocks, and remain unharmed. My Cort is technically defined by the Department of Defense as "armor-piercing."
    but the sound..... the sound....
  • exhausted wrote:
    but the sound..... the sound....

It's amazing how much a Tele with the proper pickups will sound like an SG...
    It's amazing how much a Tele with the proper pickups will sound like an SG...

oh fuck off. ;)
  • exhausted wrote:
    oh fuck off. ;)

I still need a rosewood neck to complete the sound...
  • exhausted wrote:

That's a great guitar, man!
    Mine never fell, never broke since 1968. (Knock wood) It has lacquer cracks all over. Where's the crack? They do tend to get surface checking right around the headstock because it flexes there, so probably no worries.

You're right anyway, play on, if it goes, it's fixable. They're made to be played. I've fixed quite a few necks.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Mine never fell, never broke since 1968. (Knock wood) It has lacquer cracks all over. Where's the crack? They do tend to get surface checking right around the headstock because it flexes there, so probably no worries.

You're right anyway, play on, if it goes, it's fixable. They're made to be played. I've fixed quite a few necks.

it's on the bass side of the back of the headstock. sort of starts at the centre of the back and goes to the side where the main piece meets the side piece (that made no sense, you know how gibson headstocks are three piece though.) i can't even get it to show up in a picture but i'll try again tonight.

it looks like the beginning of a wood crack in shape *but* it disappears at certain angles and it's not one continous crack. it's one crack about an inch long and then a little 1/4" one beside it. i just don't know. when i go and pick up my dot and rickenbacker, i'm going to consult the tech again. not the asshole tech who has my reso right now, the other one who's not a dick.
    exhausted wrote:
    it's on the bass side of the back of the headstock. sort of starts at the centre of the back and goes to the side where the main piece meets the side piece (that made no sense, you know how gibson headstocks are three piece though.) i can't even get it to show up in a picture but i'll try again tonight.

it looks like the beginning of a wood crack in shape *but* it disappears at certain angles and it's not one continous crack. it's one crack about an inch long and then a little 1/4" one beside it. i just don't know. when i go and pick up my dot and rickenbacker, i'm going to consult the tech again. not the asshole tech who has my reso right now, the other one who's not a dick.

it's a laquer crack you sissy. you worry too much. if it were more than that how would the rest of the guitar look so good? That guitar has been well cared for, as long as you don't bang it against the wall or the floor you'll be fine, install straplocks, go crazy.

why is it so many luthiers are dicks?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    why is it so many luthiers are dicks?

good question. maybe it's an expert personality thing. the dude seems to think he's the only one in town which is really not the case. he was just rude and seemed to be *trying* to make me feel stupid about everything i said.

oh well. when i get my reso back (and i should have just walked out and taken my business with me but i was tired and flustered at that point) i'm going to rip him a new asshole in a letter..... in his online guestbook.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    SG's are so gnarly looking. For such an old guitar the shape still looks really up to date. Admitedly they have a few problems design-wise but over all great guitars. We have SG 71' Pro with mini humbuckers and a bigsby in the house. It was original trans red but the finish has disappeared on the front of the body and half way up the neck thanks to sunlight...so it has a weird have red have wooden thing going on. How small are the necks! It's so skinny at the nut. Even when I was 8 I found it really comfortable.
    mine's got the modern, rounded neck. i hate small necks.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    I thought I would prefer smaller necks but since trying the PRS wide fat carve which is pretty big I haven't found anything so comfortable which is funny as my fingers are pretty normal in length. I think a narrow neck suits an SG though quite a light and delicate guitar.
    Tav wrote:
    I thought I would prefer smaller necks but since trying the PRS wide fat carve which is pretty big I haven't found anything so comfortable which is funny as my fingers are pretty normal in length. I think a narrow neck suits an SG though quite a light and delicate guitar.

The radius is a big deal too, not just the size. The PRS wide fat is very nice for us medium finger folk. People with huge hands seem to like the flatter radii fingerboards.