bought the computer

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
three cheers for supportive wives.

dell has a bunch of free upgrades and shit so.....

i ordered a dell 4600 2.8GHz P4 with 1gigRAM and a 160gig drive. 17" monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. if they work well, i'll use them, otherwise they'll go on the present computer.

it should be here sometime within the next month which is fine since i'll be out of town anyway.

now i just have to sell some pedals etc. in order to buy the software and interface of my choice. the steinberg MI4/cubasis SL is still winning. the fact that it has preamps in the interface box means i can dump my bluetube preamp as well. i'm keeping the rack compressor though.

this should be a really good system.

and once i'm used to the software and have suitably moved over all my work, i'll dump the 788. despite my emotional attachment. i made 3 cds on that thing.

so, if anyone wants some of this come fall, keep it in mind:

-presonus bluetube preamp.
-tascam 788 (w/ 10gig drive)
-harman-kardon CDR20 dual deck cd-r audio burner.
-pedals that will go up include:
boss GE-7 (japanese)
DOD vibrothang
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    DigiDesign MBox has FOCUSRITE mic pre's. FOCUSRITE.

The computer sounds pretty sweet... especially the gig of RAM. You'll need it...

I'd be interested in the Tascam if I wasn't going to do the same thing pretty soon.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i just revisited the specs on both. i think you're right about the MBOX. the only advantage on the MI4 is a really high sample rate when recording a single channel (96kHz).

am i really going to notice that? probably not i suppose.

i thought the MI4 had more I/O options too but apparently they aren't that different. steinberg's got MIDI though. i don't use MIDI though but i might since i can use my korg as a controller and play VST instruments.

i'm going to check out both software packages in person though because that will be the deciding factor i guess.
    I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other, I just wanted to point that out... Focusrite preamps are a pretty big plus, though.
    i trust your input though because you've got the background in this.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    three cheers for supportive wives.

dell has a bunch of free upgrades and shit so.....

i ordered a dell 4600 2.8GHz P4 with 1gigRAM and a 160gig drive. 17" monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. if they work well, i'll use them, otherwise they'll go on the present computer.

it should be here sometime within the next month which is fine since i'll be out of town anyway.

now i just have to sell some pedals etc. in order to buy the software and interface of my choice. the steinberg MI4/cubasis SL is still winning. the fact that it has preamps in the interface box means i can dump my bluetube preamp as well. i'm keeping the rack compressor though.

this should be a really good system.

and once i'm used to the software and have suitably moved over all my work, i'll dump the 788. despite my emotional attachment. i made 3 cds on that thing.

so, if anyone wants some of this come fall, keep it in mind:

-presonus bluetube preamp.
    -tascam 788 (w/ 10gig drive)
    -harman-kardon CDR20 dual deck cd-r audio burner.
    -pedals that will go up include:
    boss GE-7 (japanese)
    DOD vibrothang

Hey man I'm buying almost exactly the same computer. My roommate had the 4600 you should be very happy with it and the 1 gig of memory.

I'm probably going to get just 512 for now. Hopefully this will get me off my ass so I can share some with you guys.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    the only reason i was able to go with a gig right away was the free upgrades. otherwise, i'd be at 512 too.

this lets me dive right into the recording.

once i get back from my work assignment, i'm pretty much just going to whole up for a year and make a cd out of the best of the songs i've written thus far in my life. i'll pretty much just rerecord everything. it'll probably take me a while to get fully comfortable with the software too.

i plan on getting fruity loops for drum tracks/looping and renting a bass from time to time to round things out.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the only reason i was able to go with a gig right away was the free upgrades. otherwise, i'd be at 512 too.

this lets me dive right into the recording.

once i get back from my work assignment, i'm pretty much just going to whole up for a year and make a cd out of the best of the songs i've written thus far in my life. i'll pretty much just rerecord everything. it'll probably take me a while to get fully comfortable with the software too.

i plan on getting fruity loops for drum tracks/looping and renting a bass from time to time to round things out.

just for fun check out the rogue violin bass from musicians friend.

I know they don't ship to canada, but it's damn cool on sale for $199 Hollowbody bass is hollobody bass. I might get one.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    those are kinda funky.

i could do bass within fruity loops but i am hestitant. that's a little too mechanical for me.

when i had a bass, i played it so little it's not worth the investment. renting is so cheap. i'll just rent a nice j-bass and a bass pod and go.
    just spent a while talking to the folks at the music store and told them what i had for hardware etc.

i'm going with the mbox factory with all the joemeek plug-ins and shit. it wasn't that much more for some fun extra toys including a moogerfooger delay model.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I know this isn't fair, but I thought you were still looking around. Have you seen this. Like the mbox.

Lexicon Omega Studio USB Audio Interface Hardware and Software Package (Macintosh and Windows)
    The Lexicon® Omega™ is the way to start recording TODAY - whether you are a guitarist, keyboard player, vocalist, instrumentalist or an audio engineer. Omega supports 6 audio channels, up to 4 at one time, as well as MIDI and S/PDIF, so, you get all the connections you need to start recording your own music quickly. Once everything is connected, you have up to 32 stereo tracks to get it just right. Lexicon’s 30-year legacy of excellence in reverb can be found in the Pantheon™ reverb plug-in. With 35 presets and 6 different reverb types, Pantheon gives your mix that professional Lexicon sound found in studios world-wide.

Features

* 6 channels of 24-bit streaming audio via USB (4 record, 2 playback)
    * 7 analog audio inputs
    * 2 - XLR mic inputs with extremely low noise dbx® preamps
    * 20 dB Mic Pad
    * 4 - 1/4” analog RF filtered TRS active-balanced line inputs
    * 1 - 1/4” ultra-Hi-Z analog instrument input
    * 2 - 1/4” analog TRS servo-balanced, active line outputs
    * S/PDIF coaxial digital input and output
    * 1/4” TRS insert on each mic input
    * MIDI In and Out
    * +48V phantom power
    * 24-bit A/D and D/A converters, supporting sample rates of 44.1kHz and 48kHz
    * Zero-latency analog record monitoring with adjustable balance between input and playback
    * Stereo and Mono input source monitoring
    * Power supply included

OMEGA DESKTOP RECORDING STUDIO INCLUDES

* ProTracks™ Plus Multi-Track Recording Software: Your PC becomes the center-piece of your personal recording studio. 32 stereo tracks and unlimited takes per track as well as unlimited MIDI tracks, give you the flexibility to lay down your original performance as well as arrange and mix down your final creation.
    For the Mac, Omega ships with a special 64-track version of Bias Deck SE.
    * Lexicon Pantheon™ Reverb Plug-In: Infuse your mix with legendary Lexicon reverb. Designed by the same Lexicon engineers who created the signature Lexicon sound, Pantheon offers 35 factory presets featuring 6 reverb types (hall, chamber, plate, room, ambience and custom) controlled by an intuitive user interface with 16 editable parameters.
    * Omega Studio Hardware: Plug in with USB, and now your PC has all the connections to make it a true studio. Omega Studio offers one of the most extensive I/O selections available in its class. Complementing 6 channels of 24-bit streaming audio (4 out, 2 in) are MIDI IN/OUT and S/PDIF. And our Mic XLR inputs not only support +48V phantom power, they are driven by high-quality dbx® mic pre amps.

Omega Studio Hardware
    Differentiating itself from standard computer I/O boxes which are typically based on a patch-bay paradigm, the Omega 8x4x2 USB I/O mixer is based on a mixer paradigm and includes input, output and mixing functions that support a variety of tracking/monitoring applications while requiring no additional mixing hardware.

The Omega I/O mixer provides 8 inputs which are assignable in pairs to any of 4 simultaneous record channels featuring ultra-transparent, high-resolution analog to digital converters to capture your performance with pristine 24-bit quality. Two of the inputs feature extremely low-noise dbx® mic-preamps with 48 volt phantom power and TRS insert points. Four TRS active balanced line inputs accept up to +22dBu signals to allow interfacing to either unbalanced or professional high-output level balanced equipment. Included is an S/PDIF input combined with an additional DAC for zero-latency, direct monitoring of the S/PDIF source to allow simultaneous tracking of analog and digital sources. A high-impedance instrument input is conveniently accessible on the front panel. The Omega I/O mixer provides a peak indicator for each analog input as well as an assignable bar graph meter for signal level monitoring. By monitoring the signal at the A/D converters, it avoids the problems with software-only level monitoring that can miss clipping and ruin your track. The Omega I/O mixer also includes a fully opto-isolated MIDI input to ensure that there is no annoying ground loop hum or MIDI talk-through noise common with many I/O boxes and sound cards. MIDI output has rock-solid synchronization to USB frame rate to support applications requiring critical sync.

RECORDING STUDIO INCLUDES
    Pro Tracks Plus™ is an easy-to-use, comprehensive 32-track recording suite that includes all the modules you need to track, edit, process, sequence and mix your masterpiece. Not only does it include intuitive non-linear editing, plug-in support, and acidized looping features, it contains a full featured MIDI sequencer with outstanding event editing and powerful automation features as well as soft synth support.

Lexicon Pantheon™ Reverb Plug-In
    Designed entirely by Lexicon engineers, the Pantheon reverb plug-in offers 35 factory presets featuring 6 reverb types (hall, chamber, plate, room, ambience and custom) controlled by an intuitive user interface with 16 editable parameters. The Lexicon name is synonymous with ‘the world’s best reverb’. Pantheon continues this legacy by bringing “that Lexicon sound” to your projects. Pro Tracks™ Plus is a comprehensive suite of professional multitrack recording and editing tools developed in collaboration with industry leader Cakewalk®. Whether you are a guitarist, vocalist, acoustic or electronic musician, Pro Tracks Plus software turns your PC into a powerful digital recording workstation, ready to capture your music. With Pro Tracks, you have everything you need to record, edit, and mix professional quality projects on CD. It also includes encoding capabilities so you can deliver your masterpiece over the internet.

* Pro Tracks™ Plus Features Developed in collaboration with industry leader Cakewalk.
    * Integrated multi-track recording, editing, and mixing of audio and MIDI.
    * 32 stereo audio tracks
    * 32 Plug-ins at once time
    * Unlimited MIDI tracks
    * Professional 24-bit recording, mixing, processing
    * Full-featured editing capabilities
    * DXi soft synth support
    * Support for custom screen layouts and keyboard shortcuts.
    * Polish your products with the included suite of DirectX plug-ins.
    * Apply morphing effects to your mix with the included FXPad joystick controlled multi-effects module
    * Add analog synth color to your production with the included AAS Tassman SE analog synth module.
    * Produce and burn professional quality CDs from your projects using included project-management utilities.
    * Encode audio for internet delivery
    * Import general MIDI files
    * Unlimited real-time locate markers.

Lexicon® Pantheon™
    From the World's leader in reverb technology comes Pantheon™. Pantheon combines world-class Lexicon reverb with a simple, yet powerful user interface to create an indispensable tool for your recording studio.

Lexicon’s Pantheon features a wide range of reverb types including Hall, Chamber, Room, Plate, Ambience and Custom. A full compliment of user adjustable parameters is available, including: Room Size, RT 60 (decay time), Pre Delay, Damping, Diffusion, Spread, Bass Boost and Frequency, Delay and Regeneration, Independent Left and Right Echo Time and Level, Wet/Dry Mix and Output Level. Whether mixing for music, film/TV, or multimedia, the set of 35 factory presets in Pantheon will cover your needs. Presets ranging from Vocal, Instrument and Drums, to Live Sound and Special Effects make it easy to add that “Lexicon Sound” to your projects. For the first time PC recording studios have access to the classic Lexicon sound that's heard on the vast majority of the world's most successful albums and soundtracks. Lexicon’s Pantheon Reverb is an indispensable tool for any serious musician, engineer or post-production professional.

* Pantheon Features Classic Lexicon Reverb known throughout the recording world
    * 35 factory presets, plus a powerful editor for creating additional presets
    * 6 Reverb types including: Hall, Chamber, Plate, Room, Ambience and Custom
    * Sixteen user adjustable parameters for fine tuning the reverb
    * Advanced yet easy-to-use interface
    * Floating point DSP processing
    * Mono and Stereo Operation
    * 16 and 24 bit compatible
    * Efficient CPU Utilization
    * Sample Rates up to 96kHz
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    just watch out for fan noise when recording on pcs and noisy harddrives. also keep as many other processes off as you can when running vsti`s as they sure will eat ram but with the system your getting i doubt that`ll be a problem lucky git haha.....
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    thanks pure. i looked at the omega but rejected it based on the software limitations.

the extra I/O on the interface is nice though. that's the biggest thing i'm going to miss. right now i have 6 ins so i rarely have to juggle cable.
    Those additional plugins will be priceless...

The big problem with RAM is that Windows XP uses so much just by itself.
    i'll probably waste a week playing with cosmonaut voice.
    i'll probably waste a week playing with cosmonaut voice.

I love playing with harmonizors....
    i'm starting to worry about the fact that i only have one drive to work with. i'm going to try to partition it and dedicate one segment to the sessions but i don't know if it's going to fly all that well. i'll just have to see.

if it doesn't work out, i'll be stuck getting a firewire drive.
    if it doesn't work out, i'll be stuck getting a firewire drive.

You should be able to partition that drive, it sure as hell is big enough. I'd put a 20GB partition in for the OS and basic computer operation, and then a 140GB partition for music. Of course, you could get a 20 or 40 GB drive to use as your OS drive, and then use the entire 160GB drive for music. A 20 or 40 GB internal drive would be cheaper than an external firewire drive.

Then again, a firewire drive is good to have around, and would make for great portability.
    i'll see how it runs on a partitioned drive first but i will probably just stuff another hard drive into it. the prices on the firewire drives are still too high. i did some searching. another 80 or 120 gig internal doesn't cost much though.