DL4 gone. digidelay bought. digiverb..

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey paco, you still like your digiverb? i think mig's happy with his.

i figure i'm going to grab one for the sovtek (and for those huge buckley verbs on everything) if i can find one floating around on ebay for cheap. there's one right now i'm eyeballing.

picked up a digidelay too. not bad. pretty basic but works well with my acoustics.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhausted wrote:

i figure i'm going to grab one for the sovtek (and for those huge buckley verbs on everything) if i can find one floating around on ebay for cheap. there's one right now i'm eyeballing.

picked up a digidelay too. not bad. pretty basic but works well with my acoustics.

you can do crazy shit with the DD-3
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah, the digidelay does all that sample stuff too. the DD-3 is just *too* clean for me though. i used to have a DD-5 ages ago.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:

yeah I love it. For the money 50 bucks employee cost, but (GC got me back because I put it on thier card and they sent it to me a day before the due date so the phone check cost me 15 bucks) bastards.

It's great, if you remember I began the epic search for verb with a shiny green Little Lanilei from songworks, the drive stage was pathetically inadequate you couldn't even hear the reverb. I have no qualms with digital verb. That's a great uber versatile little pedal. If you audition it, try the hall and the plate especially. The spring is good but you need to turn it down to sound really natural, eventually I'll have a fender with a real spring and tube drive and I'll use this thing on other stuff. I also like that delay.

You can get a gigantic amount of verb with the digiverb if you so choose.

One of my other favorites is that Alesis Digiverb IV it's a lot more than just delay though and more expensive. For the cash, the digiverb is quality.

You can even get a bit of slap back with the room echo.

Reliability conserns kept me out of the E-H version even though it is purportedly good.

I get tons more depth exactly what I wanted in the Orange.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i used to have a midiverb that i used as the reverb unit with my 4-track recorder back in the day. i wish i'd never let that thing go.

thanks for the feedback on the digiverb. the grail was the other option but i've heard noise complaints and it doesn't have as much flexibility.

mind you, the verbs in my pod and protools are great for recording.

the other option is to buy a shortboard for my pod and program a bunch of different effect only programs but i'm hestitant to put the pod in front of my amps for whatever reason.
    It's worth 70 bucks or whatever they are going for to have a digiverb since you have a power supply anyway. You'll be pleased. It's solid. If you don't like it I doubt you'll lose anything on it. If you have a loop you can put it in that. I think short boards are still pretty pricey.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    yeah, they did come down in price somewhat but still as much as the pod itself and the ebay demand is high so deals are scarce.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd eventually love to compare my DigiVerb side by side with a Boss reverb (RV-3? can't remember the model name, it's verb and delay). But ultimately, I think the DigiVerb is the best option below Fender tube-driven spring reverb. And verb in post (POD or ProTools) isn't terrible, but I like having it before my power tubes and speakers. It's a nuance I can't explain, but I know it immediately.

The great thing about the DigiVerb is that you can get a predictable reverb out of it, especially with a subtle Hall or Plate, or the Spring (if you can withstand the emulated "spring noise"). But you can also get immense, huge, long-delay reverbs out of it, very lush sounds, AND a reverse and gated delay. I love the way it adds life to things like "Dead Man" or "Little Wing". Just makes it sound... big...

The great thing is, you can use your Deluxe Reverb for the authentic thing, and emulate that on the Sovtek using the DigiVerb, and then you can take it totally over the top if you want a different character. And maybe utilize the Room reverb for just a little life in a dry guitar track. It's got a lot of options, and they're all (surprisingly) good.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    So why'd you ditch the DL-4? I thought you loved that thing to death?
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
    pariah wrote:
    So why'd you ditch the DL-4? I thought you loved that thing to death?

purely the need for change.
    I'd eventually love to compare my DigiVerb side by side with a Boss reverb (RV-3? can't remember the model name, it's verb and delay). But ultimately, I think the DigiVerb is the best option below Fender tube-driven spring reverb. And verb in post (POD or ProTools) isn't terrible, but I like having it before my power tubes and speakers. It's a nuance I can't explain, but I know it immediately.

The great thing about the DigiVerb is that you can get a predictable reverb out of it, especially with a subtle Hall or Plate, or the Spring (if you can withstand the emulated "spring noise"). But you can also get immense, huge, long-delay reverbs out of it, very lush sounds, AND a reverse and gated delay. I love the way it adds life to things like "Dead Man" or "Little Wing". Just makes it sound... big...

The great thing is, you can use your Deluxe Reverb for the authentic thing, and emulate that on the Sovtek using the DigiVerb, and then you can take it totally over the top if you want a different character. And maybe utilize the Room reverb for just a little life in a dry guitar track. It's got a lot of options, and they're all (surprisingly) good.

yeah, I agree, I detested the noise on the spring for a while but tweaking it and pulling the output way down helped the clanging sound a lot. you're right, it's suprisingly good.
    well, that didn't last long..... took the digidelay back. picked up another DL4 after trying the DD-20 as well. i missed the versatility too much.

luckily they had a few used but practically new modelers from the rental department so i got some $$ off. picked up an MM4 too. last time i tried it, a couple years back, i wasn't impressed but this time around my ears liked it. got nice rotary, opto trem, CE-1 and phase 90 patches set up.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    exhausted wrote:
    well, that didn't last long..... took the digidelay back. picked up another DL4 after trying the DD-20 as well. i missed the versatility too much.

Why am I not surprised? What didn't you like about the DD-20 compared to the DL-4?
    exhausted wrote:
    picked up an MM4 too. last time i tried it, a couple years back, i wasn't impressed but this time around my ears liked it. got nice rotary, opto trem, CE-1 and phase 90 patches set up.

Can those cascade, i.e. phase into tremolo, etc? I really like my Tap Tremolo, so I imagine the trem is pretty good on that. It has tap tempo too, right?

Didja ever give a DigiVerb a try?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Why am I not surprised? What didn't you like about the DD-20 compared to the DL-4?

primarily the operations for storing and calling up programs etc. and the lacl of true bypass. but i think the DL4 allows a little more digging into each model as well. and sweep echo. honestly, my favourite delay ever.

Can those cascade, i.e. phase into tremolo, etc? I really like my Tap Tremolo, so I imagine the trem is pretty good on that. It has tap tempo too, right?

Didja ever give a DigiVerb a try?

sadly, no. they can't cascade, that would be a brilliant feature though. the trem's have the reputation of being the best models in the MM4 and that's probably true. they're very good. no tap tempo though.

they didn't have a digiverb on hand.
    turns out Tripps is a genius no matter whether it's analog or digital.

http://www.wayhuge.com/index.html