exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i spent a couple hours this morning testing:

the ibanez TS9
the ibanez TS808 reissue
the maxon OD9
the diamond drive
the diamond drive SE

it ended up between the two diamonds because they were the only ones with the balls and clarity at the low end. the way they have their EQ circuit setup is much better than a regular hi/lo cut.

the SE was a little more vintage and for whatever reason, i liked the regular diamond more. and hey, they're canadian. the 808 reissue was my least favourite. ick. the TS9 was a bit better but still miles off from the OD9.

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/drive.html

i'll give a bit of a review after i spent some time with it in my own rig.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    how much mileage can we get from the JRC/TI4558D chips?

They should have thier own room at the music hall of fame.

Is it wierd that I find this sexy? http://www.diamondpedals.com/build_quality.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the diamonds use something else i believe... which is probably why i like it.

take a look at the inside. i love engineers. reminds me of barber's stuff.

edit: haha you already found it.

the battery clip is a solid metal bracket that will never break.
    exhausted wrote:
    the diamonds use something else i believe... which is probably why i like it.

take a look at the inside. i love engineers. reminds me of barber's stuff.

edit: haha you already found it.

the battery clip is a solid metal bracket that will never break.

yeah slightly innovative. Probably why I like my DD so much. That thing is cool. If I sell both my keeleys and my compressor I can probably get one.

You canucks seem to be quite astute at this audio thing, the guy over at London (Canada) Power is a very smart guy indeed.

The funny thing is I've seen the insides of so much crap now I don't even need to hear it to have an approximation of what it will sound like. I bet it's really cool.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    No Shannon in the lineup?

The JRC4558 is really best suited for mid-boost stuff, so if you want full bottom, it's no surprise you liked something else. And I really feel the new TS-808 is a lemon in every way except cosmetics.

Of course, there's something to say for effects that are lo-fi, gritty, and rude. I'm still toying with the thought of a Ruskie Big Muff for moments of sonic insanity. Besides, I already have the Sovtek...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    No Shannon in the lineup?

The JRC4558 is really best suited for mid-boost stuff, so if you want full bottom, it's no surprise you liked something else. And I really feel the new TS-808 is a lemon in every way except cosmetics.

Of course, there's something to say for effects that are lo-fi, gritty, and rude. I'm still toying with the thought of a Ruskie Big Muff for moments of sonic insanity. Besides, I already have the Sovtek...

go ahead and go with the ruskie big muff, the sound is really cool actually I like it better than the USA version, but make sure you purchase a couple of switchcraft jacks, along with it so you can fix it after the inevitable breakage of the plastic crap jacks when you plug in the first time.

eventually I'm going to get that Tube Miget away from my buddy.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    go ahead and go with the ruskie big muff, the sound is really cool actually I like it better than the USA version, but make sure you purchase a couple of switchcraft jacks, along with it so you can fix it after the inevitable breakage of the plastic crap jacks when you plug in the first time.

I prefer the Russian as well, the NYC version tries to be something it's not. Besides, the Russian just looks cooler.

My Sovtek has plastic on/off switches, so I'm familiar with the concept. When I take it in to retube and bias next, I'll probably pay a few extra bucks to have the switches on that replaced.
  • sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    I prefer the Russian as well, the NYC version tries to be something it's not. Besides, the Russian just looks cooler.

My Sovtek has plastic on/off switches, so I'm familiar with the concept. When I take it in to retube and bias next, I'll probably pay a few extra bucks to have the switches on that replaced.

on your sovtek amp, what Amp rating are the two fuses?
  • YossarianYossarian Posts: 7
    I love my Maxon OD-9... best of the bunch IMHO
    ...that what you fear the most could meet you half way...
    on your sovtek amp, what Amp rating are the two fuses?

Well, I went and looked...

Mine has a paper fuse in the mains rated at 3.15 amps. The valve fuse is a Russian fuse, so I can't tell what the amperage is... it's either 1 or 3 amps. I used to have a schematic I found on the web for the Mig... lemme see if I can dig it up...

EDIT:
    Here's the schematic I've been using. It's not a manufacturer's schematic, but it's been verified as accurate by the Mig literati.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/sovtek/mig-50.pdf
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Yossarian wrote:
    I love my Maxon OD-9... best of the bunch IMHO

it was a close third in the group i tried and lost only on the characteristics of the EQ control. it was nice though.