ideas for my epi biscuit.....

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i have this epi biscuit. for a cheap guitar, i quite like it. however, it has no pickups and this must be rectified....

so i'm thinking a dogear P90 up by the neck with volume and tone control and then some sort of resonator pickup to handle the more acoustic type sound....

so this for the neck:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/antiquitydescr.shtml#p90

it doesn't appear that there is a stacked p90 with the dogear cover.

and i haven't found a resonator pup yet.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    screw humbucking, you want big fat dogear single coil madness for the Epi biscuit hums be damned.

Sounds cool. Very blues. Speaking of which.

I went to a blues club this past friday and the lead player had 2 Custom Shop Fender Strat's a 1960 3 color sunburst (exactly like Mike's 59 with a little less wear) and a 54. Fender Vibro King Amp into a real tube echoplex (yeah I was on the line 6 tweaking it all day after getting that tone right) The frontman had an original ES-346 into an old Ampeg. Then I go to my sisters church on sunday because she's singing and her director pulls out an ORIGINAL 1952 J-200 Gibson. All 10 grand worth. It was his grandfathers. I may never sell a guitar again.

If I were you I'd research the pups on the original Gibson ES - 125's or see if you can't find some on Ebay as they would sound amazing in that application. By the way Harmonic Design makes a brilliant dog ear P-90 you should check out for it. http://www.harmonicdesign.net
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'll have a look. since i can't play slide (yet), it'll be less blues and more controlled feedback generation. think thom's old ES on radiohead's "there, there".
    exhausted wrote:
    i'll have a look. since i can't play slide (yet), it'll be less blues and more controlled feedback generation. think thom's old ES on radiohead's "there, there".

De tune. Tune try DADGAD and try Open E. I can't remember. Even if you don't use the slide that tuning is just awesome, so harmonic.

Open tunings make for fun slide work then it's all in the palm muting.

Did I hear you say you've been messing about with noise generators?

I've been intrigued with Death by Audio and I desperately want to play with a harmonic transformer as well as a Sound Saw and Total Sonic Anihilation.

Also the Smart People Factory Red Threat seems like a richer more harmonic Big Muff. I'm getting into harmonic distortion and wierd synth stuff especially for the bass guitar. It just seems very fun.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    don't buy a total sonic annihilation. it's a total sonic ripoff. it's just four jacks and a pot. they're easy to make.
    Oh?

It seemed like some kind of a boost with LFO's or something. Strait out of 4ms.
    http://guitargeek.com/reviews/dba_total_sonic.php

there's nothing in it. i made one.
    exhausted wrote:
    http://guitargeek.com/reviews/dba_total_sonic.php

there's nothing in it. i made one.

so it's just a feedback loop? wow. that'd be a cool unit to install on a guitar I think.
    perhaps. but it really needs another effect in the loop to work. and the controls on the effect have a huge impact on the sound. i can change pitch with the tone knob on the DS-1.

matt bellamy from muse has fuzz factories built into his guitars. it's set so that it self-oscillates and he uses his guitars volume knob to simulate a theremin.
    exhausted wrote:
    perhaps. but it really needs another effect in the loop to work. and the controls on the effect have a huge impact on the sound. i can change pitch with the tone knob on the DS-1.

matt bellamy from muse has fuzz factories built into his guitars. it's set so that it self-oscillates and he uses his guitars volume knob to simulate a theremin.

I saw Matt Bellamy last night and was blown away. The guy plays piano pretty well too. He definately gets some cool sounds out of his guitar, I was thinking that it was him who had the FF's built in, that would explain the extra knobs. Crazy sounds.
    awesome. you got to see them live. i did in october. he's pretty much self-taught on both instruments.

the guitars have phase 90s in them too (some of them anyway).
    exhausted wrote:
    awesome. you got to see them live. i did in october. he's pretty much self-taught on both instruments.

the guitars have phase 90s in them too (some of them anyway).

you realize if we ever went to a concert toegther we'd spend the majority of the time trying to figure out what made what sounds.

He definately had loads of phase engaged the majority of the time
    Muse stole that show easily. Clearly the best musicians of the evening by far because the Bass player is no slouch himself. Makes me want to go buy a wall of bass amps and a synth. I'm really glad I have the DL-4 now because all of those effects are rooted on delay so I can keep myself occupied that way.
    i found a fishman resonator pickup. it's about $110US. $90 for the P90. $30 for pots, knobs etc.

so now at least i know how much i'm looking at. the only thing i'd need to get done professionally is the cutting of the body for the P90. i don't have the tools or nerve.

i don't think i'd bother with onboard switching or blending. i'll just have two output jacks and do the blending in the mix.
    exhausted wrote:
    i found a fishman resonator pickup. it's about $110US. $90 for the P90. $30 for pots, knobs etc.

so now at least i know how much i'm looking at. the only thing i'd need to get done professionally is the cutting of the body for the P90. i don't have the tools or nerve.

i don't think i'd bother with onboard switching or blending. i'll just have two output jacks and do the blending in the mix.

yeah sounds like a good idea. I definately wouldn't want to do the cutting. If you were doing lots of live stuff you might want a blend knob but screw it that can be added later anyhow.
    i'm not sure how i'd do it since one would be a passive signal and one would be an active signal. best bet would be volume control on each i guess and retain the two outputs. that could work. normal 250K pots for the P90 and a 25K for the fishman.

i really don't need to do this. it's purely just because i can.
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm not sure how i'd do it since one would be a passive signal and one would be an active signal. best bet would be volume control on each i guess and retain the two outputs. that could work. normal 250K pots for the P90 and a 25K for the fishman.

i really don't need to do this. it's purely just because i can.

well you have to install a battery too and there ain't no battery box on it so that'd be another hole. not good. I'd just install 2 little volume pots. Maybe tone if you're feeling saucy.
    i think i would just have to deal with using the entire pie plate as a battery door. not a big deal since batteries in those pickups last so long.

i would want a tone control on the p90 so we're looking a three knobs total.
    exhausted wrote:
    i think i would just have to deal with using the entire pie plate as a battery door. not a big deal since batteries in those pickups last so long.

i would want a tone control on the p90 so we're looking a three knobs total.

yeah that sounds good. I think I'm still on my first 9v from my acoustic (Fishman) and it's been 6 years now.

where are you mounting the knobs?
    pretty much like this but with three maybe:

http://images.misupply.com/products/original/Fender/109051.jpg

i have to measure the area for the electric pickup tonight. i may decide to put a silver mounting ring and a humbucker in there instead.
    sweet. better idea even than the jazz bastard.
    i wonder what a PAF would sound like in there. it's too bad i sold the stock pickups from my dot already. i could have just put one of them in there temporarily and saved a bunch of money off the bat. and looking more at it, i don't think i could put a volume knob in between the pickup and preamp of the reso pup.

i'll have to talk to the shop.
    exhausted wrote:
    i wonder what a PAF would sound like in there. it's too bad i sold the stock pickups from my dot already. i could have just put one of them in there temporarily and saved a bunch of money off the bat. and looking more at it, i don't think i could put a volume knob in between the pickup and preamp of the reso pup.

i'll have to talk to the shop.

I don't know, but once you get the hole dug for the P-90 shop e-bay for a cheap mini PAF humbucker from old Les Paul Specials or Epiphone's or what have you. Likely a filtertron would fit as well. I would guess a little more subdued, much more mids less highs more output. I personally think the P-90 is perfect for that application but hey that's just me too much gain and you're getting massive unuseable feedback through the body
    i think you're right. that's the classic sound.

i can do this in two stages as i find the parts since the acoustic and electric will be fully independant.