tidbit from keeley.

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Pearl Jam is using our TS9 and BD2 on tour this summer! Now they're going to rock even harder than ever! There's nothing like the sound of awesome tone to make you perform at your best. Eddie Vedder will be using the Frampton Three Banger to switch between his Tweed Fender Deluxes. Look for Eddie to be playing a LOT more guitar than usual this summer. Awesome new approach to fronting one of the coolest bands on the road!

three fender deluxes. that's a big change.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Damn. I wonder what their tone will sound like on the new album.
  • wow, this will be interesting!

no more Hiwatt?! Ed has a pedal?! Ed has multiple amps?!

what happened with simplicity :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you know what this means? They fuckin pay attention. :D

Hey Ed, if you need a keeley rat, come an see me my friend.

The hiwatt just needs rest probably. How can you fault a man playing through 3 tweeds? Outstanding.

Look for a more woody bluesy tone from center stage. Man I can't wait. Hey Stone, back to the blitz ok or a Germino if you're feeling saucy.

Mike.........carry on :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • i definitely am looking forward to hearing Ed's tone come September. Man, it's just weird that he's using 3 amps...never would have thought!
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I concur that it seems weird ed is using 3 amps. For such a punk guy, seems awfully complicated. But I am excited to hear it for sure. What's also interesting is I just ate a wicked lemon pepper chicken breast for dinner.

I am pretty sure the reason for the switch is that too many people found out ed was ripping my sweet tone.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    it's pretty much still simple. The Framptone switcher is just splitting it up for him. I'm pretty sure it's probably tuner, switcher, amps.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    will be interesting to hear the new tone, but i dont like the fact he will be playing a lot more guitar. I always seem to like the songs ed just focuses on singing.... oh well i'm sure it will be cool
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    It was time for his Neil Young influence to shine through a bit more... Maybe this signals a return to No Code/Merkinball style song writing as well.

If Ed comes out with a P-90 Les Paul, everyone here knows I bought it first!! :D

Curious that he will be playing more guitar. Maybe more acoustic from Stone? Maybe some pedal steel or slide guitar? That could add a cool dimension to some songs. I know some fans would roll their eyes, but I like when they add new textures and layers to things.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    It was time for his Neil Young influence to shine through a bit more... Maybe this signals a return to No Code/Merkinball style song writing as well.

If Ed comes out with a P-90 Les Paul, everyone here knows I bought it first!! :D

Curious that he will be playing more guitar. Maybe more acoustic from Stone? Maybe some pedal steel or slide guitar? That could add a cool dimension to some songs. I know some fans would roll their eyes, but I like when they add new textures and layers to things.

If stone comes out with an acoustic that is as f-ing bright as it has been lately, I will be somewhat annoyed. His Strat and LP sounds have been huge and Fat, then the change to the thin tinny acoustic sound. No Piezo's Stone.

Gibson J160, magnetic. Yes.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    If stone comes out with an acoustic that is as f-ing bright as it has been lately, I will be somewhat annoyed. His Strat and LP sounds have been huge and Fat, then the change to the thin tinny acoustic sound. No Piezo's Stone.

Gibson J160, magnetic. Yes.

I agree it has been bright. I think it is an effort to find a place in the busy mix they have going. With two guitars and and organ in the midrange... maybe he wants to fill out the sound up top a bit more?

I am just curious how it all fits together. A tweed deluxe is a lot fatter and aggressive in the mids than a Hiwatt. A Hiwatt Custom 50 is a pretty bright amp, you can hear it on Betterman when Ed hits those big chords on: "She lies and says... etc."
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I agree it has been bright. I think it is an effort to find a place in the busy mix they have going. With two guitars and and organ in the midrange... maybe he wants to fill out the sound up top a bit more?

I am just curious how it all fits together. A tweed deluxe is a lot fatter and aggressive in the mids than a Hiwatt. A Hiwatt Custom 50 is a pretty bright amp, you can hear it on Betterman when Ed hits those big chords on: "She lies and says... etc."

Mike and the Organ do that quite well. I think this will mean Ed will fill the bottom and Mike and Stone (on the electric stuff) will trade licks. We all need to hear more big fat stone solos. How cool is DTE with him playing the charlie brown strat?
    I also dig the Not For You solo... good stuff.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    I also dig the Not For You solo... good stuff.

I miss the outro solo at the end of that song on the album. I usually have to pull the geetar out and play along.
  • Not for You is a song I am dying to hear live.

Sounds so dark and bluesy.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I miss the outro solo at the end of that song on the album. I usually have to pull the geetar out and play along.

Agreed... that is a solo I can keep up with. :) Vitalogy is a great album to play along with... Immortality, Satans Bed, Corduroy, the whole album is thick with good stuff.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    Agreed... that is a solo I can keep up with. :) Vitalogy is a great album to play along with... Immortality, Satans Bed, Corduroy, the whole album is thick with good stuff.

That is sonically thier best overall album. The guitar sound is just right.
    note, I think it's 2 tweed deluxes. AB and Both.

He probably needs 2 in order to set them differently
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the "three banger", i think, means you can have all three one at once even. you just turn each on/off individually. like the voodoo labs amp switcher.
    exhausted wrote:
    the "three banger", i think, means you can have all three one at once even. you just turn each on/off individually. like the voodoo labs amp switcher.

ah, good call. I bet Frampton uses it to go between the Marshalls and the Leslie and the Talkbox.

here it is for peeps to drool over.

http://www.framptone.com/
    i just don't know how ed will use it. i guess i'll see in a month or so :D

the normal frantone is A/B/both.
    exhausted wrote:
    i just don't know how ed will use it. i guess i'll see in a month or so :D

the normal frantone is A/B/both.

could even be A Deluxe B deluxe and C Massive wall of 48 marshall 4x12's borrowed from Yngwie.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with that hypothesis and say that Ed is probably dressed like DLR circa 1980. :D
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    could even be A Deluxe B deluxe and C Massive wall of 48 marshall 4x12's borrowed from Yngwie.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with that hypothesis and say that Ed is probably dressed like DLR circa 1980. :D

I think this is a strong hypothesis. Although I think you should be sure to include that he will be playing a pink charvel... more shredding on this album for sure... likely some flanger and chorus on his tone too.

Stone will play key-tar. Mike will be on a floyd equipped jackson... amps, a wall of Marshall JCM 900s.

Matt will have digital drums and Jeff will be sporting some new "enhancements" ala the bass player in Spinal Tap.

It's going to be a good tour.
    There's No Code.
    whoah. i'm glad i'll be near the front.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    this is exciting as shit! Totally pumped to have a change in eds sound. his clean tone has always been great, but his overdrive sounds like shit on songs like lukin, rvm,etc...

And hey, if ed's gotten better on guitar....im all for it. afterall, a man that writes riffs such as "sad" "corduroy" "RVM", Grievance, insignificance...

is alright in my book and i think this improved tone, or at least attempt at some change up and more options for him may benefit greatly...

im just excited for a new kind of pearl jam....
    62strat wrote:
    this is exciting as shit! Totally pumped to have a change in eds sound. his clean tone has always been great, but his overdrive sounds like shit on songs like lukin, rvm,etc...

And hey, if ed's gotten better on guitar....im all for it. afterall, a man that writes riffs such as "sad" "corduroy" "RVM", Grievance, insignificance...

is alright in my book and i think this improved tone, or at least attempt at some change up and more options for him may benefit greatly...

im just excited for a new kind of pearl jam....

It makes more sense and fits into the grand scheme of the band better, not to mention, anyone that doubts this move should go into a local guitar establishment, pick up a P90 equipped guitar plug into a tweed and crank it to just over half way. If you aren't in sonic bliss in less than a second, you have no soul.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    It makes more sense and fits into the grand scheme of the band better, not to mention, anyone that doubts this move should go into a local guitar establishment, pick up a P90 equipped guitar plug into a tweed and crank it to just over half way. If you aren't in sonic bliss in less than a second, you have no soul.

pearl jam is too good of a band/unit, too good of musicians to not attempt to be great...

which i think now they are finally going to try for.

im excited for the change up, didnt he use channel switching in 95? i thought so....
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    :)
    Is it possible that they are using the multpile amp set up to pan phaser and chrous into stero sound?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board