Ranking your Openers and Closers

merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
edited May 2022 in The Porch
With the new tour starting and excitement brewing I just looked back over my concert excel sheet with my first show in 4 years coming up.  Figured I'd rank all the openers and closers I've seen (songs, not performances).  Each category ranked from 'worst' to first

CLOSERS:

4:  Baba O'Riley (x2):  This is fine and a really great song obviously but its not their song.  Not the closer I'd prefer.  Just a good old school rocker tribute.

3. Indifference (x4):  Its a great song.  Feels a bit too slow and introspective though.  It winds down the energy like YL does but there's not enough room for joy to creep through, and concerts are joyful things.  I prefer this song as a first of two encore type.

2. Rockin in the Free World (x2):  This has a fun party atmosphere to it.  It extends off into a great jam and its just a good time overall.  Not a Pearl Jam song though and doesn't feel like it winds down the concert.

1: Yellow Ledbetter (x11):  I feel like this is the perfect energy for closing a concert.  You feel the energy winding down but keep the familiarity of a classic and a general positivity.  McCready's tags at the end are always fun.  I love the song, its a great sing along.  I wouldn't complain if this is the only closer I ever got again

OPENERS:  (much more interesting diversity here)

13. Gonna See My Friend (1x):  Just don't like the song.  Ironically it headed up what might be the finest concert I've seen

12. Pendulum (1x):  Didn't find this all too compelling; just wanted to get to the next song essentially.  Crowd doesn't get into this.

11. Severed Hand (2x):  Kind of a middle of the road song.  I feel there's two types of openers:  easing into the set introspectively or going all-out-balls-to-the-wall.  This one kind of splits the difference with the slow song intro into a real rocker but a slower bridge.  But even as a rocker more people know other 'classics' better so those work better in that regard anyway. 

10. Sometimes (x3):  I like this as an opener.  I feel that is an appropriate place for this song and it sets a thoughtful tone.  I just feel Pearl Jam has written better songs at the end of the day. 

9: Why Go (1x):  Love the song.  Definitely gets the crowd into it early.  Still like it later in the set

8:  Animal (1x):  Same thing as above ^  Getting ready for the concert and its like "oh shit, I've got to be at PEAK intensity RIGHT NOW!"  Love the song.  I like it more the later it gets played.  That said, its pretty cool to get off to this rocking of a start!

7:  Hard to Imagine (1x):  My personal bias is to a slower start, or at least some element of ramping up in intensity.  This song is awesome and beautiful but perhaps it is a little bit too long of a ramp?  I like it better opening up encore #1 (if its going to be a slower sit-down start to the set).  Very reflective

6:  Release (1x):  Obviously an amazing song.  However, Release to me feels like a climax, not an intro.  Still hearing this first makes me perk my head up and think this could be a special concert already, and its a great moment.  But I think its greater elsewhere when the concert has been going for some time. 

5:  Corduroy (1x):  Love the song.  Those first few chords get EVERYONE up and going.  Even though its a rocker I still feel you roll into the concert nicely.  Great choice for sure!  Only (snobby) demerit is obviously its a very commonly played song so setlist-wise it might not 'excite' the veteran concert goer in the same way as others but I think its a great opener regardless

4:  Once (x2):  Almost the same comments as I had for Corduroy.  Awesome singalong.  Awesome energy.  Even a little more buildup from the first few bars of this one which last a bit longer before the song explodes with energy.  Extra credit when it is the first of 11 straight Ten songs ;)

3:  Wasted Reprise --> Life Wasted (1x):  I was surprised how much I liked this to open the set.  The reprise sets a nice tone, telling us what's coming while still allowing us to settle in and feel the excitement of the new concert and builds anticipation.  Life Wasted, despite being new, is fairly well known and crowd friendly.  Almost a best-of-both-worlds opener (I wish I could see it again, but it seems like its a relic of that album tour only)

2:  Of the Girl (1x):  I just love the song.  Like I said, I love the slower intro songs and this particular song has such a unique feel for a Pearl Jam song.  Bonus nostalgia points of being the first Pearl Jam song I've ever seen performed live. 

1:  Wash (3x):  This ticks off all the boxes for me.  I love the slow moody start.  Its a song with absolutely fantastic ATMOSPHERE, and I feel like I'm basking in the anticipation the entire song.  While slow it still ends with intensity.  Its a rarity so you get that "is this gonna be an epic show' tingle when you hear it.  Bizarre that I heard this one to open 3 of my first 8 concerts but I loved it every time. 

Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
Post edited by merlin401 on

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,985
    Nice thoughtful post.
    Wash kicked off a couple of great shows!
    Crazy Mary was interesting to open. Set kind of a campfire mood to me.

HTI. Just instant heart squeeze.

Release. Damn good.

When pendulum was opening all shows I didn't really count that as an opener.