my fenders are going back to stock wiring

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i decided to rebuild them back to factory wiring as i was playing last night. i looked at the wiring for both of them last night and it's a freakin' mess so it's time to clean them up and do it right. i haven't been using the series/parallel switches anyway.

both are getting fresh parchment pickguards, pots, switches and orange drops.

the only "mod" per se will be the 4-way switch i'm going to use on the tele. well, and they'll both have graphtech nuts and saddles.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    i decided to rebuild them back to factory wiring as i was playing last night. i looked at the wiring for both of them last night and it's a freakin' mess so it's time to clean them up and do it right. i haven't been using the series/parallel switches anyway.

both are getting fresh parchment pickguards, pots, switches and orange drops.

the only "mod" per se will be the 4-way switch i'm going to use on the tele. well, and they'll both have graphtech nuts and saddles.

good idea to get a fresh start. I think while you're in there though you need to use one of those pots as a bridge tone control on the strat. It needs it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i know. i never use the bridge because of that. it's a bit better with the duncans but still pretty harsh.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    i know. i never use the bridge because of that. it's a bit better with the duncans but still pretty harsh.

dump that pickup. mini JB or little 59 you'd like, or the p-90 like super 90 from HD would help that position. You shouldn't abandon it completely, it's heaven with a compressor.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    yeah. i'll find something eventually. it's not a tone i use a lot anyway but it is worth improving.

i bought all the stuff here. $5.95 flat shipping = awesome.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm
  • It's funny how so many people start on a Fender, bastardize them, swap all kinds of ridiculous crap into them...

And then ten years later, they're back to stock.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    It's funny how so many people start on a Fender, bastardize them, swap all kinds of ridiculous crap into them...

And then ten years later, they're back to stock.

it wasn't ridiculous. it was an experiment. series/parallel is hardly ridiculous.
  • exhausted wrote:
    it wasn't ridiculous. it was an experiment. series/parallel is hardly ridiculous.

Easy, now, Canada...

I didn't necessarily mean you.

I was just remarking that a lot of folks customize the wiring on their Fenders, and then get out of that phase and go back to stock.

Me, I prefer my guitars to be as simple, with as few options, as possible.
    my big thing now is output. thus, the 4-way switch.
  • exhausted wrote:
    my big thing now is output. thus, the 4-way switch.

So long as you avoid going with a 9-volt boost...

I like the output of a standard Gibson humbucker (or my P-90's)... not TOO big, but with some oomph to hit an overdrive or preamp.
    So long as you avoid going with a 9-volt boost...

I like the output of a standard Gibson humbucker (or my P-90's)... not TOO big, but with some oomph to hit an overdrive or preamp.

nah. it's just the two in series at the 4th position. it's still all passive. there's no room for any other stuff.
  • exhausted wrote:
    nah. it's just the two in series at the 4th position. it's still all passive. there's no room for any other stuff.

Reverse-wound for hum cancelling?
    Reverse-wound for hum cancelling?

i'm still keeping the duncan stacks in both guitars so it's not an issue. i love those pickups.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i'm still keeping the duncan stacks in both guitars so it's not an issue. i love those pickups.

Ah...

Cool beans.