anyone have experience with duncan cool or vintage rails?

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm looking at them for neck and middle positions. the bridge is going to be a lil 59.

looking for thicking mids/lo mids, with presence but without harsh treble. i don't like like too much sparkle at all.

i've read tons of reviews and i honestly can't decide.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I put Cool Rails in my Fender Strat in all the positions. It sounds best in the bridge position though. It gives a great tone.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've added lace holy grails to the list of candidates.

however, it's the same problem i had with the duncan stacks in my last strat in that the stagger is right-handed. hmmm. i had a goofy pickup height setup to compensate for it.

thus the interest in rails, duckbuckers etc.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Ex, sorry, not a great deal of experience, especially lefty, but

the reference section at http://www.projectguitar.com might help.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    there's a set of grails i found for $135. they're new. hmmmm. the HC reviews are pretty positive.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    there's a set of grails i found for $135. they're new. hmmmm. the HC reviews are pretty positive.

should be prety decent for what you want.

If you want cheaper Carvin has some pretty cool stratbuckers.

actually I'm remembering John Felty of Jupiter Coyote uses those cool rails in his Dodson (strat) I think. he plays a lot of Allman style slide work, so you get the picture of the tone, warm, smooth, mids.

The 59 is a 59. Ballsy tone.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i love the 59 i put in my tele so that's why that choice was pretty easy. i don't like the bridge position at all normally.

the duncan stack helped that quite a bit but the 59 is perfect for me. probably since i'm used to the SG/LP bridge sound.