i put a vintage 30 in my deluxe reverb

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
es muey bueno. even at the low volumes i play at. so much warmer and thicker than the eminence.

i'm having trouble finding the ideal mic'ing point but the sound in the air is brilliant.

that solo pressure overdrive and a vintage 30 is just honey. i'm very happy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    es muey bueno. even at the low volumes i play at. so much warmer and thicker than the eminence.

i'm having trouble finding the ideal mic'ing point but the sound in the air is brilliant.

that solo pressure overdrive and a vintage 30 is just honey. i'm very happy.

sweet. I love my vintage 30 too though everytime I play one of the new bassmans I think about trading. It'd only cost me about 200 bucks.

as soon as I get my RM to set us up a webpage I'll put up some clips so you can see what the orange + v30 sound like with my DD and Rat.

I wonder how a weber alnico would sound in your amp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • A Weber alnico would sound woody by comparison. Less treble, less presence.

If you're using a 57, point it on-axis straight into the center of the speaker. Put it so it's almost touching the grillcloth. Pull it back off the grill if it's too muddy or bass-y.

But if it was me, I'd put a large-diaphram condenser on it. I've been using a Rode NT1-A on this project I'm recording, and it sounds *AMAZING*.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes. i do need a better mic for the amp. right now it is a 57.
  • exhausted wrote:
    yes. i do need a better mic for the amp. right now it is a 57.

I'm telling you, this mic is worth it's weight in gold for a guitar amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/88744

I used it the last couple days on a stereo guitar rig, with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and my Vibro Champ. VERY nice results.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    A Weber alnico would sound woody by comparison. Less treble, less presence.

If you're using a 57, point it on-axis straight into the center of the speaker. Put it so it's almost touching the grillcloth. Pull it back off the grill if it's too muddy or bass-y.

But if it was me, I'd put a large-diaphram condenser on it. I've been using a Rode NT1-A on this project I'm recording, and it sounds *AMAZING*.

that's exactly what we used on the Marshall cabinets back in the basement recording GC days. nice mic.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    that's exactly what we used on the Marshall cabinets back in the basement recording GC days. nice mic.

If I remember right, I read once that PJ used the NT1 or NT1-A on Riot Act for guitar amps...