Matt Cameron drumming!

Okay, so one gripe iv always had about Matt is that on live shows he tends to make the band play songs faster than their original pace (for example Even flow, Jermey and Alive to a certain extent)

Anyway, shows are still great 👍 Now, with that being said, I saw some videos from last nights show and I couldn't help but notice the songs were slowed down to the  original sounding pace! That's awesome 👏 hopefully they'll continue playing the songs that way, maybe it's taking away a song or 2 from being played, time wise,  but there's nothing like how the songs sound in the original sounding pace. Just my 2 cents 

Comments

• https://youtu.be/oSB8CdKsl_U

Exhibit A

Sounds so refreshing not sped up!
  • https://youtu.be/xDlGNIclKP0

Exhibit B 

Beautiful! 
  • Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 136

• Yep - I dig the slower pace. Always thought he was a tremendous drummer, but they can play these lightning speed sometimes...
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Yep - I dig the slower pace. Always thought he was a tremendous drummer, but they can play these lightning speed sometimes..

Yes! I hope they keep playing this way. I had noticed how much I missed that style of sound when I heard Dave Krusen drum on Alive at the rock and roll hall of fame 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,311
    Just to be clear, you know MC can play at any tempo or any odd meter right? He’s a world class drummer and a machine. There’s no chance he solely makes the decision at how fast or slow they play songs. There’s 4 other guys that have to keep up and have a say. 
  • ClownofThornsClownofThorns Posts: 165
    nicknyr15 said:
    Just to be clear, you know MC can play at any tempo or any odd meter right? He’s a world class drummer and a machine. There’s no chance he solely makes the decision at how fast or slow they play songs. There’s 4 other guys that have to keep up and have a say. 
    We all know there's a large metronome secreted under the stage for every show. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    nicknyr15 said:

Exactly!  I've been saying that for years. 
    I'm also assuming that by show #20 or so, it'll probably be faster again as they all just want to get through those songs they've played 1000 times.  They were all probably having fun playing it again last night.
  • nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:
    I think these are bs responses. Yes Matt is world renowned, a machine, one of the greatest drummers in the world BUT sometimes its safe to say when styles clash on some songs. Dave Navarro is a great guitarist for Jane's but stylisticly clashed w the chili peppers. The fact os , Ever since Matt became PJs drummer, for one reason or the other, certain songs  sped up, period. As an example,  why was Alive played at its original pace at the Rock and roll HOF w Dave? Different style. 

Anyway, not bashing Matt, just wanted to point out that  it sounded refreshing hearing some  songs at their original pace last night , don't get your panties up on a bunch. BTW , If some fans mention that aspect of Matt, there's a reason for it, you don't have to like EVERYTHING PJ does 
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:
    I think these are bs responses. Yes Matt is world renowned, a machine, one of the greatest drummers in the world BUT sometimes its safe to say when styles clash on some songs. Dave Navarro is a great guitarist for Jane's but stylisticly clashed w the chili peppers. The fact os , Ever since Matt became PJs drummer, for one reason or the other, certain songs  sped up, period. As an example,  why was Alive played at its original pace at the Rock and roll HOF w Dave? Different style. 

Anyway, not bashing Matt, just wanted to point out that  it sounded refreshing hearing some  songs at their original pace last night , don't get your panties up on a bunch. BTW , If some fans mention that aspect of Matt, there's a reason for it, you don't have to like EVERYTHING PJ does 
    Haha. Ok 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Haha. Ok 
    Les Claypool is one of the greatest bassist alive, a "machine". Metallica didn't want anything to do with him because they knew styles would clash for the most part. Those responses of "It's all 5 band members blah blah"  are whack. Truth is, I'm glad Matt has blended in w PJ over the last decade, he's good w new material, now glad/hope,  old material is sounding original again 👌 😀 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Haha. Ok 
    Les Claypool is one of the greatest bassist alive, a "machine". Metallica didn't want anything to do with him because they knew styles would clash for the most part. Those responses of "It's all 5 band members blah blah"  are whack. Truth is, I'm glad Matt has blended in w PJ over the last decade, he's good w new material, now glad/hope,  old material is sounding original again 👌 😀 
    I just can’t believe EV put up with Matt playing all those songs so fast for so long. Glad he finally stood up to him and put his foot down. 

Comparing primus and Metallica? Cmon. Not even the same sport. Even the way the bass is mixed. Not a fair comparison at all. Agree to disagree. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Haha. Ok 
    I just can’t believe EV put up with Matt playing all those songs so fast for so long. Glad he finally stood up to him and put his foot down. 

Comparing primus and Metallica? Cmon. Not even the same sport. Even the way the bass is mixed. Not a fair comparison at all. Agree to disagree. 
    Let's be honest, Matt is their Boi, they love each other. Ed respects the hell out of Matt. I think its fair to say the boys made some tweaks to make sure Matt fit in musically. Just a guess. As far as the comparison, I mean, you pretty much said that Matt I'd a master drummer , can play anything regardless of styles. Or didni misunderstand
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,187
    I’ve seen all their drummers live with the band and Irons by far is my favorite faze! Love the others but something about Jack that just sounded different! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    SpeedyFlow, how many BPMs, I don’t know. Who gives a fuck, enjoy the show. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited May 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Haha. Ok 

Let's be honest, Matt is their Boi, they love each other. Ed respects the hell out of Matt. I think its fair to say the boys made some tweaks to make sure Matt fit in musically. Just a guess. As far as the comparison, I mean, you pretty much said that Matt I'd a master drummer , can play anything regardless of styles. Or didni misunderstand
    Tempo isnt a style. It’s tempo. You saying he can’t keep tempo is laughable to me. That’s it. Who knows. It’s all speculation. I can’t understand what tweaks would need to be made. Matt came from another grunge/rock band that actually had waaayyy harder songs to play on drums. I play drums and I just laugh when people think it’s all on Matt. Like he’s incapable of playing in time. Has he played older songs stylistically different? Yes. He doesn’t hit every cymbal under the sun like Dave A. His  STYLE isnt quite as tribal as Irons on certain songs. But all that is not tempo. Which was the original argument. Agree to disagree. We’ll never know. 

Not here to argue. We feel different about this. No big deal. Hope I’m not coming off disrespectful 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Haha. Ok 

Tempo isnt a style. It’s tempo. You saying he can’t keep tempo is laughable to me. That’s it. Who knows. It’s all speculation. I can’t understand what tweaks would need to be made. Matt came from another grunge/rock band that actually had waaayyy harder songs to play on drums. I play drums and I just laugh when people think it’s all on Matt. Like he’s incapable of playing in time. Has he played older songs stylistically different? Yes. He doesn’t hit every cymbal under the sun like Dave A. His  STYLE isnt quite as tribal as Irons on certain songs. But all that is not tempo. Which was the original argument. Agree to disagree. We’ll never know. 

Not here to argue. We feel different about this. No big deal. Hope I’m not coming off disrespectful 
    Same here 😆 🤣  I get what your saying, maybe I'm wrong or just coming across a certain way. For Whatever the reason is, I guess I just liked hearing Jeremy at its original pace, that's all lol last 10 years iv always been kinda annoyed when they play Jeremy or even flow all fast.i was just surprised, but  That's just me lol 
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Haha. Ok 

Same here 😆 🤣  I get what your saying, maybe I'm wrong or just coming across a certain way. For Whatever the reason is, I guess I just liked hearing Jeremy at its original pace, that's all lol last 10 years iv always been kinda annoyed when they play Jeremy or even flow all fast.i was just surprised, but  That's just me lol 
    Oh I agree on that! I do think they sound way better at normal speed. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,101
    I like my Pearl Jam all sped up, playing as fast as they can, like a group of 🐆 chasing down animals in the wild
    https://youtu.be/U1W7deoP-Ww
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • adamg5adamg5 Posts: 802
    Abbruzzese: Absolute beast and loved his raw sounding power/stage presence
    Jack: So so Funky, loved it!!  Also loved his stage presence. 
    Matt: thanks for keeping the bad together.

• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,471
    https://youtu.be/oSB8CdKsl_U

Exhibit A

Sounds so refreshing not sped up!
    It sounds great at that tempo, but...

There are only about half a dozen people dancing/jumping around in a sea of cell phones. That's a pretty sad sight to see, especially at a first gig
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    adamg5 said:
    Jack: So so Funky, loved it!! 
    Prob not a coincidence that No Code is my favorite album.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

nicknyr15 said:

Haha. Ok 

This.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane