got my SCNs and noiseless jazz bass stuff

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
got the SCNs last night and dropped them in. very nice. way quieter than the grails (and even quieter than the 59) and maybe a touch fuller to my ears however that might be due to the huge output. holy shit these things are hot compared to the grails. the 59 in the bridge barely keeps up and i've got the SCNs lowered quiet a bit.

i was even able to put them in "backwards" so the stagger is correct for left-handed.

also got the fender noiseless jazz bass pickups last friday. dead quiet and sound way better than the mexicans (not surprising). interested quirk though. if you wired them up as you'd think they should be, they're out of phase with eachother. had to reverse the wires on one. that was weird. the output seems to be pretty close to the stock pickups. the stagger is right handed but again i was able to install them "upside down". last thing i may do is upgrade the bridge. the low E seems pretty dead to me.

and finally, because i've changed wiring so many times, the pots are a mess in all three of my fenders. so everyone's getting brand new linear pots and spragues next week. linears because, honestly, i hate log pots.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sweet, spragues and brand new pots for all.

You should be able to find a badass bridge for that bass pretty cheap on fleabay

One of the reasons I like the SCN's is how smooth and hot they are. It's a significant departure from the earlier Noisless design.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    they feel as hot as the classic stacks from last time around and the tone is similar but with more presence it seems. i'm pretty impressed anyway.

i may have to get a tele neck SCN too.
    My mexi strat is about to move along with my roommate. The les paul gets heavier by the minute.

I'm about to be stretched living by myself, and the 62 strat is still available.

I'm probably stupid not to by that RI right now, but I don't want to screw myself either.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if you're really played out on the paul, you could swing it and pay for a good portion of that 62.

but yeah, i understand.
    exhausted wrote:
    if you're really played out on the paul, you could swing it and pay for a good portion of that 62.

but yeah, i understand.

well, I think maybe I could sell it here, TGP or Ebay, for what I have in it, and probably swing something different and interesting. I played a refin 50's melody maker the other day with grovers and duncans that was awesome would have been even better with a thicker neck. The guy has an AC30 CC that is loud as hell with a filthy old rat, a Rust driver a black finger danecho and a chorus. I've come to the conclusion that too many people use way way too much modulation. I spent and hour and a half just tweaking the amp until I could get a decent thicker smoother sound out of it, Onne can definately tell where they made the cuts to get it to a grand. The speakers are unimpressive, nice clean tone though.

I still have dreams of the Pacocaster, a thinline with a P-90 at the neck a Voodoo 59 at the bridge and a fatish neck. That might be a while down the road. I wonder what blueshawks go for on ebay......