Ticketmaster’s deceptive practices - legal?

13»

Comments

• JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    This fan club bullshit is a waste of money.  10 years I’ve been paying into and the few times I “won” tickets the seats sucked so bad I couldn’t even get face value for them.  This will be my last tour. Last album sucks anyway.  Just sorry I paid my dues last month.
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    JZ280705 said:
    This fan club bullshit is a waste of money.  10 years I’ve been paying into and the few times I “won” tickets the seats sucked so bad I couldn’t even get face value for them.  This will be my last tour. Last album sucks anyway.  Just sorry I paid my dues last month.
    Really? I downgraded to digital after they stopped the vinyl. And I think $20 per year is an absolute bargain compared to some other bands, especially considering they've always hooked me up with really good seats. Been paying $35 per year to dmb for 20 years and they often give me some of the shittiest seats in the house if I don't score pit.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,787
    JZ280705 said:
    Look how all of sudden tons of cheap tickets - BETTER SEATS - opened for Oakland after fucking people showing only minimal tickets left with prices at 5X.  I’m done with this shit.  Fuck you Ticketmaster and Fuck you Pearl Jam.  

Amazing, $150 for the best seats in the house. Why would you complain about that? 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    JZ280705 said:
    Look how all of sudden tons of cheap tickets - BETTER SEATS - opened for Oakland after fucking people showing only minimal tickets left with prices at 5X.  I’m done with this shit.  Fuck you Ticketmaster and Fuck you Pearl Jam.  
    I guess I'm not outrage by this because it was predicted by everybody who's been paying attention. I mean, it was clear from the lottery that these shows - especially Fresno and Sacto - didn't have high demand. Ed's shows in LA had trouble selling. When the "Premium" tickets were released, everyone knew that the prices were ludicrous and would come down.

All that said, I respect this response. Send 10 Club/Pearl Jam letters. Don't buy tickets, refuse to buy merch. Find a media outlet willing to listen and run a story. It's more likely to get a response than the "I'm pissed about this but I'm still going to give the band and TicketMaster my money!" crowd.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

Amazing, $150 for the best seats in the house. Why would you complain about that? 
    I wouldn’t.  It’s having paid $500 for worse seats.  The message is, you can’t trust Ticketmaster so either wait till a day before or prepare to get badly fucked.  I never buy premium tickets.  The only reason I did for this show is I assumed since Pearl Jam put restrictions on reselling, they would have addressed the more egregious price manipulation TM does. Obviously I was wrong.   Look at shows now where the premium seats are over a thousand.  Are they do the same shit there? Not MSG because that show will have no empty seats but Toronto?  Ok City? St. Louis? 
    JZ280705 said:
    Really? I downgraded to digital after they stopped the vinyl. And I think $20 per year is an absolute bargain compared to some other bands, especially considering they've always hooked me up with really good seats. Been paying $35 per year to dmb for 20 years and they often give me some of the shittiest seats in the house if I don't score pit.
    I’ve never once gotten a good seat and never for MSG.  Never once got a seat that I didn’t lose money on reselling because the seat sucked. Fenway was the worst.  Couldn’t even get field.
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

I wouldn’t.  It’s having paid $500 for worse seats.  The message is, you can’t trust Ticketmaster so either wait till a day before or prepare to get badly fucked.  I never buy premium tickets.  The only reason I did for this show is I assumed since Pearl Jam put restrictions on reselling, they would have addressed the more egregious price manipulation TM does. Obviously I was wrong.   Look at shows now where the premium seats are over a thousand.  Are they do the same shit there? Not MSG because that show will have no empty seats but Toronto?  Ok City? St. Louis? 
    Why would you assume this when there was no indication of it? Platinum (or "PJ Premium") is a known entity. Why would you assume it would work differently for Pearl Jam?

One of the more underrated perks of Ten Club membership is this very Forum. It is a great repository of information, chock full of people willing to help fellow fans get into shows at the lowest cost possible and prevent them from buying "Premium" tickets the day they go on sale to a show that isn't going to sell out. If you're only coming here after the fact to bitch about seat locations, TicketMaster, and the secondary market, you're not fully utilizing your membership benefits.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

mpedone said:
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

Why would you assume this when there was no indication of it? Platinum (or "PJ Premium") is a known entity. Why would you assume it would work differently for Pearl Jam?

One of the more underrated perks of Ten Club membership is this very Forum. It is a great repository of information, chock full of people willing to help fellow fans get into shows at the lowest cost possible and prevent them from buying "Premium" tickets the day they go on sale to a show that isn't going to sell out. If you're only coming here after the fact to bitch about seat locations, TicketMaster, and the secondary market, you're not fully utilizing your membership benefits.
    The main reason is the unique face value exchange.  I assumed (incorrectly obviously) that they were looking to protect fans from scalping.  The face value exchange has only helped Ticketmaster by restricting fans from selling at a lower price.   All they’ve done is make it worse. Instead of selling 15% (or whatever the % is) of tickets to a small group of fan club members and screwing 85%, just sell them all at market value from the start and keep the face value exchange.   
    JZ280705 said:
    mpedone said:
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

The main reason is the unique face value exchange.  I assumed (incorrectly obviously) that they were looking to protect fans from scalping.  The face value exchange has only helped Ticketmaster by restricting fans from selling at a lower price.   All they’ve done is make it worse. Instead of selling 15% (or whatever the % is) of tickets to a small group of fan club members and screwing 85%, just sell them all at market value from the start and keep the face value exchange.   
    Another assumption you're making is that the options were "Face Value Exchange" or "Name Your Price Below Face Exchange", when really the options were "Face Value Exchange" and "NO TRANSFERS". What you're angry about isn't lack of protection from scalping, because it HAS prevented scalping. Again, this is semantics, but it's true.

Also, what would selling all the tickets at market value and restricting resale to face value solve? Again, "face value" is the price you paid TicketMaster. You'd still have people who bought when demand was high unable to sell those tickets when demand dropped.

• PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    This thread is about wakting up yesterday to find out it is today.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 90
    What happens to box office walk-ups on the day of the show? Can they buy the F2F tix? Or will the box office only sell the TM official tix, and if those are gone, will they say the show is "sold out", despite 100s of tix being available on F2F?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Wolf359 said:
    What happens to box office walk-ups on the day of the show? Can they buy the F2F tix? Or will the box office only sell the TM official tix, and if those are gone, will they say the show is "sold out", despite 100s of tix being available on F2F?
    Box office is only going to sell unsold tickets, but they may let people know about fan to fan. Probably depends on their interest in customer service. Anyone can buy fan to fan tickets anywhere from the app, right up until showtime. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

Unfortunately, that is how most of us learned.  I do not have MSG tickets and am in NY.  I will wait until close to the show and if prices are really high, then I know I need to bite the bullet.
    PB11041 said:
    This thread is about wakting up yesterday to find out it is today.

That is funny!
  • Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

Unfortunately, that is how most of us learned.  I do not have MSG tickets and am in NY.  I will wait until close to the show and if prices are really high, then I know I need to bite the bullet.
    I've NEVER won 10c tix to any NYC show (MSG or BK). Fortunately, I'm using a pair from a friend who won (and is sitting with her ticket buddy in better seats) It used to be so much easier to get tix closer to day of show, but this dynamic pricing / premium bs has changed the game. Premium seats may come down in price, but since it's a hot ticket, once they drop to what many people consider "acceptable", they'll go fast. I haven't even looked on stubhub, but I'm sure there are a ton for ridiculous prices. It's become a waiting game, NYC just has a few extra crappy rules. 

2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

I lived in NYC.  MSG is a VERY hard ticket to get.  I often flew to other cities to see shows and even with plane fare, car service, and hotel it was a lot cheaper.  In 2016 I flew to Salt Lake to see McCartney.  6th row center $450.  That ticket at MSG easily $3K
    Wolf359 said:
    I wasn’t aware box offices even sold tix anymore.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    JZ280705 said:
    Wolf359 said:
    I wasn’t aware box offices even sold tix anymore.
    The box office in Baltimore is how we learned of that show's cancellation weeks before any official word from 10c or TM. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited May 2022
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:
    Get_Right said:
    JZ280705 said:

I lived in NYC.  MSG is a VERY hard ticket to get.  I often flew to other cities to see shows and even with plane fare, car service, and hotel it was a lot cheaper.  In 2016 I flew to Salt Lake to see McCartney.  6th row center $450.  That ticket at MSG easily $3K

Been going to MSG since 98.  The last time they played MSG was the first time I could not get a ticket through friends, connections etc.  Cost me $400 for 200s in the corner but in front of the stage.  I am guessing $800-$1000 to get into the 9/11 show. Not sure if I will pull the trigger on that.