the townshend les paul deluxe

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like the idea but not the looks. I think the 2 nickel covered Pups combined witht he open humbucker make it look ugly. All open or all covered I say.

5k retail, insane.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I like the idea but not the looks. I think the 2 nickel covered Pups combined witht he open humbucker make it look ugly. All open or all covered I say.

5k retail, insane.

it's ugly but true (close) to the original.

5K isn't nuts considering the value will go up pretty much instantly. like the custom shop townshend SG, it's not for players.
  • The sound sample that they provide for the slash model, which I think is gorgeous, is absurd. Give it a listen.

When I think of slash I think of the bell like sound of sweet child o mine or any other slash riff or solo.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I like the idea but not the looks. I think the 2 nickel covered Pups combined witht he open humbucker make it look ugly. All open or all covered I say.

Jimmy Page and I take offense to that...

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/page/JimmyPage.html

My new Tele is going to end up with an open-coil HB in the bridge and a nickel-covered HB in the neck.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Jimmy Page and I take offense to that...

My new Tele is going to end up with an open-coil HB in the bridge and a nickel-covered HB in the neck.

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious. Do you have any Tele's that are just stock? I don't read every post around here, but I've seem to read more than one where you state different pick-ups etc... in a Tele. I think everything has coolness for sure, just wondering you theory of guitar/ tone.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Not trying to pick a fight, just curious. Do you have any Tele's that are just stock? I don't read every post around here, but I've seem to read more than one where you state different pick-ups etc... in a Tele. I think everything has coolness for sure, just wondering you theory of guitar/ tone.

Well, I've owned five Tele's over the course of my playing, although I only have two currently.

First one was a Peavey, I think the model name was Raptor. Stock everything, didn't keep it long. Replaced it with a USA Fender Strat.

Second was a Tele Sonic, the funky hollow mahogany Tele with DeArmond 2K pickups. Loved it to death, it was the closest thing (at the time) to a Tele with P-90's. Finally sold it to a good friend who fits the guitar perfectly.

Third was a MIM Standard that I turned into a hotrod Esquire. Removed the neck pup, and put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge. It was a hot guitar, great tone, played well, but it was just a tad to phat for me. eBay.

Fourth is my beloved Tele Deluxe with Fralin P-90's. What a great guitar. A Pete Townshend SG in Tele clothing.

And the fifth is my new Custom Tele Special. I think I've figured it out: Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge, zebra coils, and a Gibson Classic '57 nickel in the neck. A goldtop LP in Tele clothing.

The next one will be a Nashville Tele with some form of Strat pups in the neck and middle position, and a hotter pup in the bridge, like a S-90 or a Lil '59. A Power Strat in Tele clothing.

Down the line, I'll probably get another Tele Sonic and a stock Tele... a Tele Sonic because I miss it so much, and a standard just because.

My thing is, I love the Tele look and feel, how it plays, how it fits my hands and body, etc. And they're tough as nails. But I hate the standard Tele sound, that twangy bridge sound or the muddy neck sound. It has it's place, just not for me. So I get Tele's and I make them sound like something else. And it's not exact, because of wood type and neck construction and fretboard and headstock and everything else, but it kinda makes for a unique middle ground between feel and sound that I really like so far.
  • Well, I've owned five Tele's over the course of my playing, although I only have two currently.

First one was a Peavey, I think the model name was Raptor. Stock everything, didn't keep it long. Replaced it with a USA Fender Strat.

Second was a Tele Sonic, the funky hollow mahogany Tele with DeArmond 2K pickups. Loved it to death, it was the closest thing (at the time) to a Tele with P-90's. Finally sold it to a good friend who fits the guitar perfectly.

Third was a MIM Standard that I turned into a hotrod Esquire. Removed the neck pup, and put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in the bridge. It was a hot guitar, great tone, played well, but it was just a tad to phat for me. eBay.

Fourth is my beloved Tele Deluxe with Fralin P-90's. What a great guitar. A Pete Townshend SG in Tele clothing.

And the fifth is my new Custom Tele Special. I think I've figured it out: Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge, zebra coils, and a Gibson Classic '57 nickel in the neck. A goldtop LP in Tele clothing.

The next one will be a Nashville Tele with some form of Strat pups in the neck and middle position, and a hotter pup in the bridge, like a S-90 or a Lil '59. A Power Strat in Tele clothing.

Down the line, I'll probably get another Tele Sonic and a stock Tele... a Tele Sonic because I miss it so much, and a standard just because.

My thing is, I love the Tele look and feel, how it plays, how it fits my hands and body, etc. And they're tough as nails. But I hate the standard Tele sound, that twangy bridge sound or the muddy neck sound. It has it's place, just not for me. So I get Tele's and I make them sound like something else. And it's not exact, because of wood type and neck construction and fretboard and headstock and everything else, but it kinda makes for a unique middle ground between feel and sound that I really like so far.

Thats all great! I love the 2K's, my Dearmond I think its a MT-75 (its late and I've never been able to remember it), les paul shaped body, and a bigsby. Pretty cool I think. I two agree with the tele shape, its one of my favorites. I'm a huge fan to single coils tones and thin sounding guitars, even though I'm mainly a bass player I still have the love for good guitar tone. And I love multiple thing guitar tracks playing a riff.

Very cool.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Jimmy Page and I take offense to that...

you sending it to Tom Murphy too? :D

Bill Nash would do it for $450
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • So mig, it is clear that we now have to fight to the death to settle this difference. Jimmy Page can be your cheerleader :)

Seriously though, do you like the nickel covered Pup in the neck to give you a smoother lead tone? And then the bridge to have a little more bite?
    while this is reall cool to me, 5 K is just silly to pay for a modded deluxe.

You can get an early 80's LP deluxe for $1200.

The townsend SG is a steal for the money.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276

But I hate the standard Tele sound, that twangy bridge sound or the muddy neck sound.

Excuse me? you just haven't played the right tele through the right amp... the bridge does much more than "twangy" and the neck is far from "muddy"

My tele with a Duncan '54 bridge pup and a Alnico II Pro neck pup is nothing like your description.

Current production teles do have weaker pups and different wood setups that might contribute to your perception.

A true tele has an ash body, maple neck and f/b, and two single coils. adjust the volume and tone knobs accordingly and it has a great range.

It plays even better in E flat tuning... makes it more slinky and bends are more fluid.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    you sending it to Tom Murphy too?

Oh, hell no. I'm aging this guitar myself. And it won't cost me anything. Although it'll take me 20 or 30 years to finish the job.

Seriously though, do you like the nickel covered Pup in the neck to give you a smoother lead tone? And then the bridge to have a little more bite?

Exactly. I like the fat, round tone of a covered pup in the neck and I like that bright, punchy hi-mid and treble of an open-coil pup in the bridge. Cosmetics have always been less important than sound...

House53 wrote:
    Excuse me? you just haven't played the right tele through the right amp... the bridge does much more than "twangy" and the neck is far from "muddy"

Hey, I made some generalized statements that gave a short answer as to why I don't care for the tone of a Standard Tele. Truth be told, I think a standard can do some pretty cool things, and I've enjoyed the Tele tone a lot over the years. However, it's just not the tone that I want 99% of the time. I like chunky rhythm tones, and a Tele needs a lot of help to get it. The neck pup tends to be too smooth and the bridge pup is too thin. A Tele is great for riffs, leads, thinner or smoother rhythm, and it's the absolute best for chickin-pickin'. Plug a Standard Tele straight into a Twin Reverb, select the bridge pup, and play the riff to "Lay Down Sally" and disagree with me!

Ultimately, the fact that Gibson is charging sooo much for an LP or SG or anything else has developed my appreciation for Fender as a manufacturer. I just got my gorgeous, well-built, well-appointed Fender Tele for $500. The only guitar that could've come close to the Fender was a Gibson '57 Goldtop Les Paul reissue, which streets for around $2700. That means I can spend $2200 on mods and upgrades. And never mind the fact that the Les Paul would need new tuners and a proper set-up. So, THAT is the reason I started building Frankentelecasters.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I understand... just kidding with you.
    There's No Code.
    Oh, hell no. I'm aging this guitar myself. And it won't cost me anything. Although it'll take me 20 or 30 years to finish the job.

Exactly. I like the fat, round tone of a covered pup in the neck and I like that bright, punchy hi-mid and treble of an open-coil pup in the bridge. Cosmetics have always been less important than sound...

Hey, I made some generalized statements that gave a short answer as to why I don't care for the tone of a Standard Tele. Truth be told, I think a standard can do some pretty cool things, and I've enjoyed the Tele tone a lot over the years. However, it's just not the tone that I want 99% of the time. I like chunky rhythm tones, and a Tele needs a lot of help to get it. The neck pup tends to be too smooth and the bridge pup is too thin. A Tele is great for riffs, leads, thinner or smoother rhythm, and it's the absolute best for chickin-pickin'. Plug a Standard Tele straight into a Twin Reverb, select the bridge pup, and play the riff to "Lay Down Sally" and disagree with me!

Ultimately, the fact that Gibson is charging sooo much for an LP or SG or anything else has developed my appreciation for Fender as a manufacturer. I just got my gorgeous, well-built, well-appointed Fender Tele for $500. The only guitar that could've come close to the Fender was a Gibson '57 Goldtop Les Paul reissue, which streets for around $2700. That means I can spend $2200 on mods and upgrades. And never mind the fact that the Les Paul would need new tuners and a proper set-up. So, THAT is the reason I started building Frankentelecasters.

Is your Tele equipped with a carved top? I think it may be time for me to sell the LP for a lighter tele like that or a Schecter PT.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Is your Tele equipped with a carved top? I think it may be time for me to sell the LP for a lighter tele like that or a Schecter PT.

carved top and set neck. they're fucking sweet.
  • ya its cool i guess. not for 5k. you could mod one yourself for at the most 2000.
  • Bart138Bart138 Posts: 37
    Glad to see Tele's getting some love (in an LP thread of all places.)
    exhausted wrote:
    carved top and set neck. they're fucking sweet.

Yes, and yes, and yes. Fucking sweet, indeed. I just sent it into the shop this week for a full set-up from my tech, since it came right out of the box. I can't wait to get it back... and I used some down time to rebuild my pedal board, so I'm finally completely ready to rock. At least, until I scare up funds to get a tremolo and swap the pups in the new Tele.

Oh, who am I kidding... I'll never be completely done...

Anyways, for $500, it's a screaming deal, Pac. Carved top, light-weight, all the joys of an LP with all the convenience and value of a Tele. And the lower mass makes it kinda halfway between an SG and an LP. You'd be pleased with it at twice the price, I'm sure.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The Townsend SG's can be had for 1300 bucks if you know where to look :)

As for this guitar...cool eye candy...but for 5k, you could buy an old Deluxe, and have the mods done by a good tech, and still have money for a sick amp. You have to decide how important the whole "Pete Townsend Signature" thing is ;)
    Yes, and yes, and yes. Fucking sweet, indeed. I just sent it into the shop this week for a full set-up from my tech, since it came right out of the box. I can't wait to get it back... and I used some down time to rebuild my pedal board, so I'm finally completely ready to rock. At least, until I scare up funds to get a tremolo and swap the pups in the new Tele.

Oh, who am I kidding... I'll never be completely done...

Anyways, for $500, it's a screaming deal, Pac. Carved top, light-weight, all the joys of an LP with all the convenience and value of a Tele. And the lower mass makes it kinda halfway between an SG and an LP. You'd be pleased with it at twice the price, I'm sure.

Checked it out this weekend, funny thing is, despite the obvious pickup differences and minor cosmetics, the neck spec is damn near exactly the same as the Korean Built Schecter PT. It's uncanny. The sound is excellent it's a phenominal guitar for the money especially and damn really nice infront of a 4x12 half stack especially overdriven hard. I just don't have that instant comfort feeling on that flat of a fingerboard radius. I like a fatter C it's too shallow for my liking. I'd love to put one toegther from warmoth parts I think with neck specs to my liking but I could probably just have USA customs build me a neck and then swap it for cheaper.

In the end, I think I'd rather have a hollowbody, I need more resonance, which is really my deal with the LP in the first place. I'd like more harmonics true which would come from better P/U's. and I'd like less weight, but ultimately the sound I want is from a hollowbody.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Checked it out this weekend, funny thing is, despite the obvious pickup differences and minor cosmetics, the neck spec is damn near exactly the same as the Korean Built Schecter PT. It's uncanny.

I have half a feeling that this Tele was built as Fender's answer to the Schecter. Anyways, I love mine, and it's worth every penny.

So, are you interested in a semi-hollow, like a Nighthawk or Thinline Tele? Or a full-bodied Gibson ES? And dare I plug the Tele Sonic, which has hollow tone chambers that add a lot of natural resonance...
    I have half a feeling that this Tele was built as Fender's answer to the Schecter. Anyways, I love mine, and it's worth every penny.

So, are you interested in a semi-hollow, like a Nighthawk or Thinline Tele? Or a full-bodied Gibson ES? And dare I plug the Tele Sonic, which has hollow tone chambers that add a lot of natural resonance...

likely a gibson ES, but you guys have me on these hollow teles lately, much more manageble. you know how I roll though this could take years.

Actually I like telesonic's drop top tele Idea. tummy cut double buckers, eventually get one like yours with two P-90's.

The PRS hollowbody 2's are some of my favorite but 5 g's is kind of ridiculous.

same with that new gorgeous Don Grosh creation.
    Yeah, a full-bodied ES is pretty big. I'd rather have something a little smaller, and less fragile. Hollow Tele's are pretty frickin' sweet...

At least your Strat is on it's way.

My Strat-o-Tele is probably going to happen this summer... I'm thinking an S-90 in the bridge, so somebody around here will know if it's any good... still undecided on neck and bridge, maybe Fralin or Fender. My tech really recommends the '69s, but I'm more interested in the '54s or Fat 50's or Vintage Noiseless. Fralin is probably the way to go, just since I'm familiar with his stuff and they'd be the most accurate.
  • It would be sweet to build a mike strat. I mean take an american sunburst strat and put his pickups in it. What does he have. Some sort of stacked humbuckers? Do stacked humbuckers perfectly fit into a single coil spot?
    It would be sweet to build a mike strat. I mean take an american sunburst strat and put his pickups in it. What does he have. Some sort of stacked humbuckers? Do stacked humbuckers perfectly fit into a single coil spot?

Bone Stock, 1959 Stratocaster. The only think changed is the 3 or 4 different fret jobs from wear.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Bone Stock, 1959 Stratocaster. The only think changed is the 3 or 4 different fret jobs from wear.

switch, pots, shielding. that's about it. mind you, you'd think those pickups would be due for a rewind.
    exhausted wrote:
    switch, pots, shielding. that's about it. mind you, you'd think those pickups would be due for a rewind.

If they haven't been already.

Mike isn't really a custom-pickup kinda guy, and you better not ever take original '59 pickups and replace them with anything.
    exhausted wrote:

yeah but at the same time Kinman in Australia is making a killing replicating the sound of "aged" pickups without noise.

maybe I'm wierd but I hate the 69 hendrix (unaged) stuff and the Fender version of the same pickups. Too bright for me. Even listening to hendrix whom I love obviously, his tone is brighter (on tape) than I prefer for myself.

I can't imagine the earliest ones in the ash before they were broken in a little. Give me a couple more turns and some fatness over that bright stuff any day. I still want the highs, just not the brittle shrill highs.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I can't imagine the earliest ones in the ash before they were broken in a little. Give me a couple more turns and some fatness over that bright stuff any day. I still want the highs, just not the brittle shrill highs.

try a duncan classic stack. i mean i haven't tried a lot of pickups but your description of what you like fits them perfectly.
    exhausted wrote:
    try a duncan classic stack. i mean i haven't tried a lot of pickups but your description of what you like fits them perfectly.

I think that's what I'll get to play with in my Peavy. They do sound like my cup of tea.

I've already got a lace sensor but I'll get a classic stack and maybe a Quarter pound too just to install and play around with. There's a mexican strat around the house now I could play with too.