Ticketmaster Fan Manipulation

Anyone notice how better “sold out” seats (no resale) pop up cheaper than tickets that were on sale days before?  Except this “fan exchange” doesn’t even let you sell for less than what you paid to mitigate your loss.  How is that even legal?

Pearl Jam has done no service for its fans with this system.  They prevent people from buying and reselling at a profit, but the rest of Ticketmaster’s price manipulation and games on showing seats as sold only to release them later penalizing the fans that bought early in place.

Comments

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    yeah its fucked up!  I just pulled the trigger on Mccartney tix for this Monday in Seattle for 299 "standard admission".  I had been scouting for weeks.  Tix in this section had been "platinum" and going for 800-900  until now.  Saved about a thousand bucks by just being patient.  Platinum and primium is a total scam.  This strategy has worked for me for other big shows like U2, Stones, Tool.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    I’ve noticed 4 days before the show is the sweet spot for pricing. This is the new F5 game.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,520
    Yah, this happened on the EV tour.   They held so many back for platinum, that by the time you got within a few weeks of the show the platinums were uncutting regular priced tickets.   If you bought platinum tickets and can't go, there's almost no way to get rid of them (not even at a loss).

It feels like the fan2fan and platinum don't gel well at all together.   Not sure if that's intentional as PJ is really the only band I've seen try to lockdown resells to face, but it's a nasty combo for fans.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    Prohibiting scalping is one thing, but I can't see how preventing resale for lower than face is good for the fans. 
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    Zod said:
    If you bought platinum tickets and can't go, there's almost no way to get rid of them (not even at a loss).
    Yep, but it's really just a lesson that you should never buy artificially inflated tickets. It's just sanctioned scalping
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • burnsy6burnsy6 Posts: 40
    SHZA said:
    Prohibiting scalping is one thing, but I can't see how preventing resale for lower than face is good for the fans. 
    It's not. It removes seller competition by allowing the promoter/artist to adjust according to market rate but forces the fan to keep a high price for their ticket which almost assures that the promoter/artist tickets will sell first.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Feels like something that was negotiated in good faith by band management only to have Ticketmaster identity and take advantage of its flaw. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    Ticket limit prices are set by the artist according to TM.
  • I'm not defending the system in place, but if the goal is "don't buy tickets for shows you can't attend," they're making progress. 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,934
    I'm not defending the system in place, but if the goal is "don't buy tickets for shows you can't attend," they're making progress. 
    Agreed on this. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Zod said:
    If you bought platinum tickets and can't go, there's almost no way to get rid of them (not even at a loss).
    Yep, but it's really just a lesson that you should never buy artificially inflated tickets. It's just sanctioned scalping

It's not scalping.  Scalping is buying a thing, then reselling the thing for a lot more money.   Selling your own thing you created for a higher price, is just charging more for your thing.

I also wouldn't say don't buy inflated tickets.  I would say don't buy inflated tickets to shows with lower demand, and don't buy them right away.   The goal of the system isn't to sell all the plat. tickets right away, it's to spread it out so they're always available.    From what we're seeing on both the EV and PJ tours is patience pays off (which sucks if you need to plan things like days off work, flights, hotels etc..).

Hopefully PJ learns from the unintended consequences of running fan2fan at the same time as platinum.   Not sure if they will, or how much they pay attention to the details.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    Cmon, how is live nation supposed to recover their investment for some of these lesser selling shows?
  • JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    I normally don’t buy Platinum but I assumed since PJ was changing the rules to prevent guaging, the game of playing with prices and releasing better seats at lower prices was off the table.  Ticketmaster is the shiftiest company there is.  They need to be broken up.  Check out John Oliver’s bit on them.

https://youtu.be/-_Y7uqqEFnY
  • JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    mr bungle said:
    yeah its fucked up!  I just pulled the trigger on Mccartney tix for this Monday in Seattle for 299 "standard admission".  I had been scouting for weeks.  Tix in this section had been "platinum" and going for 800-900  until now.  Saved about a thousand bucks by just being patient.  Platinum and primium is a total scam.  This strategy has worked for me for other big shows like U2, Stones, Tool.
    Yep - I’m sure it helps them curtail resellers but it also alienates those who paid what was available believing that was the only choice, only to see not only better but cheaper tickets materialize the next day.  
  • Eddie Trunk has said for years that Concert Tickets through Ticketmaster are like "airline pricing". If the demand is high, tickets go up. On the flip side, you can save a ton of money playing the system and waiting till the day of the show and scoop up great seats at a discounted price. Last summer I saw The Black Crows. I paid $40 bucks a ticket and sat in the 12th row.
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    SHZA said:
    This happened to me with Ohana last year. Show was sold out (before encore weekend announced) and they wouldn't allow me to list for less than the face value price I paid. 
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 312
    I can understand that they prevent you from selling for more than face value, but not letting you sell at a discount is fucked up. Is that just a US rule? I've not heard of that over in the UK/Europe.
    I can understand that they prevent you from selling for more than face value, but not letting you sell at a discount is fucked up. Is that just a US rule? I've not heard of that over in the UK/Europe.

I think it's form lack of imagination.   As far as I know PJ was the only band that ever request to have a face value exchange.   So TM made it, which is just they're regular resale platform locked to the original ticket prices, and it doesn't charge extra fees.   PJ probably never thought there would be a reason their fans would need to take a hit on tickets, and ergo no one thought to make it so tickets could be sold for less.
  • JE224127JE224127 Posts: 444
    This happened to me with my tickets to TPC Sawgrass. I just wanted to resell for what I put into them. I got an error message that I had to list them for more than face. I did the bare minimum and when I acted like I was purchasing tix again, of course the standard TM tix were less than mine-frustrating. Luckily I could transfer these particular ones so I sold them on Craigslist. Definitely not cool on TM’s part. 
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    I'm really not a fan of all these changes compared to what it was a few tours ago. Before they locked down the lower bowl from resale because they were mostly 10 club seats, and that was great. Now they've locked down the entire arena.

As a result, if you miss out in the initial sale, and you're at a show somewhat in demand like Nashville - you're screwed. Unless you're willing to drop $1800 for a pair of mediocre seats, which just about none of us can do.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Sarava said:
    I'm really not a fan of all these changes compared to what it was a few tours ago. Before they locked down the lower bowl from resale because they were mostly 10 club seats, and that was great. Now they've locked down the entire arena.

As a result, if you miss out in the initial sale, and you're at a show somewhat in demand like Nashville - you're screwed. Unless you're willing to drop $1800 for a pair of mediocre seats, which just about none of us can do.
    There will be more tickets for the fall shows as they get closer. People will have conflicts, travel plans will fall through, etc. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • chukdotcomchukdotcom Posts: 709
    Maybe they can put up a "donate" option where you can sell them for $0. Better than just eating the ticket...