i'm thinking of dropping my strat

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
and just adding a mid pickup to my tele and wiring it for.

neck
neck middle
neck bridge
middle
bridge

if that's possible.

i'll stick with the duncan stacks that are in the tele now and just add another strat stack in the mid position.

it's time to cut down on my excess i think but perhaps someone should talk me out of this.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    and just adding a mid pickup to my tele and wiring it for.

neck
    neck middle
    neck bridge
    middle
    bridge

if that's possible.

i'll stick with the duncan stacks that are in the tele now and just add another strat stack in the mid position.

it's time to cut down on my excess i think but perhaps someone should talk me out of this.

It's nice to have a true strat around sometimes. But I'm a strat guy. It's not a horrible Idea. I'd see if I could get a schematic of the S-1 switching though, tons of options.

The trouble with you selling is the kid. when are you going to have the spare scrilla to pick up a strat if you want it? If you're gonna sell, sell the Ric. It dosen't get played, and it's a pain in the ass even if it does sound good. Just kidding, don't sell the ric.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    It's nice to have a true strat around sometimes. But I'm a strat guy. It's not a horrible Idea. I'd see if I could get a schematic of the S-1 switching though, tons of options.

The trouble with you selling is the kid. when are you going to have the spare scrilla to pick up a strat if you want it? If you're gonna sell, sell the Ric. It dosen't get played, and it's a pain in the ass even if it does sound good.

this is the thing, i'm wondering if i should just box the stuff i don't play up. then that stuff can go to the bean when they're old enough. ie, don't touch my SG!!! here, try the strat.

i tried selling my ric a while back. the guy talked me out of it, again because of the fact that i'll never have the cash for another one even if i find another one.

it's just that i think my heavy music making days are winding down (not kid related) so i feel like a tool for having this stuff. i've not even picked up my paul for months and that's just dumb.
    exhausted wrote:
    this is the thing, i'm wondering if i should just box the stuff i don't play up. then that stuff can go to the bean when they're old enough. ie, don't touch my SG!!! here, try the strat.

i tried selling my ric a while back. the guy talked me out of it, again because of the fact that i'll never have the cash for another one even if i find another one.

it's just that i think my heavy music making days are winding down (not kid related) so i feel like a tool for having this stuff. i've not even picked up my paul for months and that's just dumb.

Yeah, but the kid might be musically inclined, If you keep that stuff, it'll be around later. I know several guys who ended up in bands later in life, with their kids playing guitar alongside them. Then again what are the chances the kid will be left handed eh.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah, but the kid might be musically inclined, If you keep that stuff, it'll be around later. I know several guys who ended up in bands later in life, with their kids playing guitar alongside them. Then again what are the chances the kid will be left handed eh.

shit, even i forget that the guitars are backwards sometimes.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'll sell you my Tex-Mex Strat pup from my Nashville. And you could get one of those mini-Strat pups from Harmonic Design to put in the neck. And then you'd almost have my Nashville Tele the way I'm building it...

Hell, I'm all for turning a Tele into anything but a Tele. You know that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I put together a Tele to try to make it a strat once, it sounded good, but it wasn't a strat. you won't get that strat bell tone if you want that. You need springs and loose metal to get that, I think.
    You're going to be sitting a lot more, too and the strat cord jack is better for being tired and sitting on the couch! :)

And when your right handed kid is old enough to play, just reverse the left handed strat strings and give it to him/ her upside down. I heard of another guitarist that was pretty good like that! :D

Jimmie/ Jeannie Exhaustedrix!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I think it's as valid an idea as putting a humbucker in the neck of a tele. Tele's are so deceptively versatile :)
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    When I read the title I instantly thought "Don't drop it on the sidewalk, you'll scratch it."
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    i'm going to poke around today to see if i can find a microkorg synthesizer. that would be a fun addition to replace a guitar.
    enharmonic wrote:
    That was a big thing to do in Nashvegas for a while...so much so that Fender actually had a "Nashville" tele out for a while.

Oh, shit. Is someone dissin' my Nashville? 'Cause that's what it sounds like.
    Oh, shit. Is someone dissin' my Nashville? 'Cause that's what it sounds like.

they've got a used nashville at the shop right now. they're nifty.

anyway, can't get enough for the strat to make it worthwhile so i'm keeping it for now. i may ebay it at some point. i don't know.

however, the microkorg is way fun so i need to get one of those some day.
    exhausted wrote:
    they've got a used nashville at the shop right now. they're nifty.

anyway, can't get enough for the strat to make it worthwhile so i'm keeping it for now. i may ebay it at some point. i don't know.

however, the microkorg is way fun so i need to get one of those some day.

To be perfectly honest, the Nashville stock is completely useless to me. I've got high hopes for my modifications, though. Warmoth already shipped the pickguard, and HD has recieved my order. It'll probably be 3 or 4 weeks before I get everything and install it, but I'm getting antsy.

Is the MicroKorg similar to the Micro Moog? Or is it more like a little Triton?
    sort of like the micromoog, yes. but with a vocoder etc.

http://korg.com/gear/images/products/enlarge/lrg_microKORG.jpg
    exhausted wrote:
    sort of like the micromoog, yes. but with a vocoder etc.

http://korg.com/gear/images/products/enlarge/lrg_microKORG.jpg

Yeah, I played with one of those once. In Manny's Music in NYC, in fact. Pretty cool little keyboards... I'd still rather have a Triton, but the price difference makes it worth considering. Besides, with the midi sync, it would be really easy to utilize it as a hardcore studio tool.

I thought one of the Mini Moog's had a vocoder?
    Yeah, I played with one of those once. In Manny's Music in NYC, in fact. Pretty cool little keyboards... I'd still rather have a Triton, but the price difference makes it worth considering. Besides, with the midi sync, it would be really easy to utilize it as a hardcore studio tool.

I thought one of the Mini Moog's had a vocoder?

not sure, i don't see moogs around here so i've not looked into them. i generally don't like vocoder sounds anyway.

alesis has a tiny synth too but the price is higher and it's more menu driven and it's not as ergonomic as far as access to the pitch wheel etc.

i'd rather have a ful-blown synth too but this is just for fun and would let me capatilize on all the soft-synths i have kicking around on my computer that i haven't explored much yet because i don't have a controller.

i have a korg SP300 for "normal" keyboard sounds so i'm looking for noisemakers now.
    Why can't you just use your Korg board as a controller?

A friend of mine is in bad need of a Triton, and we've discussed it at length a few times. He's really interested in getting the Triton Rack and using his old keyboard as a controller. I think that would be a great option... then down the road he could get a dedicated controller and really go to town. The Triton Rack has a lot better options for expansion and playing compared to the keyboard version.

I do like the analog-style interface for that MiniKorg. It's really intuitive and easy to adjust on the fly in real-time.
    Why can't you just use your Korg board as a controller?

good point. why didn't i think of my piano having the capability. forest for the trees i guess.

i wonder if i have the right cables. i'll have to go look. i have a MIDI to serial cable i think. unless i sold it when i sold my old POD.

i may look at just getting an m-audio O2 controller if i can't get anything else to work.
    nah, don't have the right cables. the MIDI to serial cable i have worked on my old computer but i'll need a MIDI/USB for this one to use my keyobard (or a micro for that matter) as a controller.

i'll look into it next time i'm in there.
    i've decided it's gone. i'm going to use the money to buy a microkorg and something nice for my wife.
    exhausted wrote:
    i've decided it's gone. i'm going to use the money to buy a microkorg and something nice for my wife.

cool, sounds good anyway, those synths are really fun and it's always good to keep the wife happy.
    augh. i don't know if i can do it.

i'm trying the microkorg for a few days but i may end up just dumping some pedals to pay for it.

you're right. i won't have the cash for a new strat any time soon but pedals come and go.