anyone ever just stopped playing for a while... or longer

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
since we're trying to sell our house, all my stuff is packed up and i haven't played in quite a while. thinking of not even touching anything again until next year.

and i don't really miss it. i'm kinda worried. i love music so much but hate it when i try to create anything.

i've been playing for 11 years and a really don't feel like it anymore.

anyone taken a great for a length of time and come back to it, refreshed...

i look at this pile of gear i have and i just feel stupid about it at this point.

almost sold one of my SGs yesterday except i was offered an insultingly low amount for it. but i don't really care about the guitar itself anymore.

blah.

i think it probably has to do with the fact that i've lost my drive and confidence in writing anything and having kept developing my playing skills as real life kind of sucked me in.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    you're just in a rut, it happens, take a break, don't sell your gear. Sit back enjoy music again and just listen. Your playing is not bad, you're just bored with it. I struggle with it too with so much else going on. I'm going to actually get some lessons sometime soon because of the same need for improvement. What I really need, is a freaking band, to play with, force me to practice, and finish, and to just enjoy it again like I do when I jam Hendrix licks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'll give you $7.34 and a bag of grapes for all your gear... ;)

Paco is spot on... you'll just be in a rut!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Yup! I've put the guitar away for long stretches.
    I think that happens to a lot of players. I played relentlessly through the 70's 80's, toured around with bands, practiced and practiced and practiced when a new band hired me, then one day I said, "bleaugh" (Check the spelling on that one!) I barely played for a while, then one day, the SG as a matter of fact, came out and my ol' Fender Deluxe and it was amazing.
    I was rusty, but it came back pretty fast.

You have a lot going on, and it looks like GOOD stuff going on, so music will take the back burner for a while, but it'll creep back in someday because you DO have it in you and you ARE talented.
    Try keeping an acoustic somewhat handy so if you DO get inspired, it's easy to dig out of the pile!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • andychandych Posts: 130
    i go through phases too and always get stuck in ruts (which is a great thing remember).i hung it on the wall for 6 months and when i went back to it i felt refreshed.
    happens to everyone.
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Save your stuff. You'll come back to it. I think sometimes your outside life can sap your energy, but you'll want to play again after a while. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • You have a lot going on, and it looks like GOOD stuff going on, so music will take the back burner for a while, but it'll creep back in someday because you DO have it in you and you ARE talented.
    Try keeping an acoustic somewhat handy so if you DO get inspired, it's easy to dig out of the pile!

What Bob said (Hiya Bob! ;) )

And no, don't sell the gear - not the essentials anyway, not just yet.
  • sandozsandoz Posts: 166
    yep , for me, from 99 to 2003 passion is gone, i don't know why, but when envy be back you are happy to not have sold too much things, maybe you could just sell the gear that you don't really need ...
    for me now, if i can not play one day , sometimes just 1/2 hour, i feel like i miss something ... blabla
    pj is my drug, guitar is my passion... when i think pj i think guitar !!

don't leave us !!
  • i find i play very little unless with my band because its boring, unless im on a writing spree or something i seldom ever play alone. if i do i usually play acoustic at home, electric at the jam lab, just to keep things fresh.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • find a drug u haven't done before and then throw your guitar on and have a nice evening. you'll be back at it in no time ;)

seriously though, i took a break for awhile but i got back into it. just like things in life change the time may come around again when you get the urge to pick and grin a bit. just keep listening to music like they said and maybe something will inspire you.
  • i haven't played in a little over a year, for much of the same reasons. but i still tell myself i'll get back to it soon. stupid school and work getting in the way....