compression is underrated

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i always think "i don't need a compressor" so i dump it.

then i get another one and think how did i ever get on without this?

i got my hands on a cheap, 8 year old dynacomp and damned if it doesn't sound really good. sparkle everywhere.

so i've gone from a really expensive keeley, to a moderately priced maxon to a cheap mxr. and yet i'm just as happy with the mxr as with the others.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love my Dynacomp. The only effect I don't really see that much of a need for is a chorus pedal...never been into them at all.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I use my Boss compressor/sustainer sparingly.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    i always think "i don't need a compressor" so i dump it.

then i get another one and think how did i ever get on without this?

i got my hands on a cheap, 8 year old dynacomp and damned if it doesn't sound really good. sparkle everywhere.

so i've gone from a really expensive keeley, to a moderately priced maxon to a cheap mxr. and yet i'm just as happy with the mxr as with the others.

+1 I liked my old dyna comp but my attack was too squashed for my liking and that was just not the best unit Eric's improvements helped immensly. It got sacrificed for the EGDM I'm either going to go with a Mr Squishy (because the damn name is so cool) or my first choice is a Tone Press for the parallel compression.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Funny, I was thinking about this over the weekend. It is one of those things that you really miss when you don't have it. I use the AM Bi Comp, it is just a dream, I prefer the OS side, but I have been getting some cool results using botht the ross and OS combined. I think Mike hit a homerun with this pedal and it is soooo worth the wait. With that being said I am looking forward to getting my hands on a Pale Green Comp, which is Bjorns take on a studio grade, rack unit in a stomp box.
    Another fantastic comp is the Janglebox, especially if you are a Petty, REM, Beatles fan.
    But for just an OS, get a AM juicer and call it a day ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • If someone will tell me how to make my Boss Compression/Sustainer CS-3 not suck, then I will consider using it.

If anyone actually knows how to do this, please let me know.
  • no way out, it really sucks.
    ThisIsNotAnExit
    JofZ wrote:
    Funny, I was thinking about this over the weekend. It is one of those things that you really miss when you don't have it. I use the AM Bi Comp, it is just a dream, I prefer the OS side, but I have been getting some cool results using botht the ross and OS combined. I think Mike hit a homerun with this pedal and it is soooo worth the wait. With that being said I am looking forward to getting my hands on a Pale Green Comp, which is Bjorns take on a studio grade, rack unit in a stomp box.
    Another fantastic comp is the Janglebox, especially if you are a Petty, REM, Beatles fan.
    But for just an OS, get a AM juicer and call it a day ;)

juicer is by far my fav.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • my problem is not being able to figure out what compressor goes with my guitar. Since it has a humbucker i mean.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    my problem is not being able to figure out what compressor goes with my guitar. Since it has a humbucker i mean.

The Tone Press is a good one to look into
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I use my Boss compressor/sustainer sparingly.
    i use mine quite a bit... but i have limited funds to buy effects with.

i use it almost as much as a suppressor too.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    i use mine quite a bit... but i have limited funds to buy effects with.

i use it almost as much as a suppressor too.

I, on the other hand, have WAY too many pedals.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    +1 I liked my old dyna comp but my attack was too squashed for my liking and that was just not the best unit Eric's improvements helped immensly. It got sacrificed for the EGDM I'm either going to go with a Mr Squishy (because the damn name is so cool) or my first choice is a Tone Press for the parallel compression.

i think i may, eventually, get it spiffed up.
  • BinFrog wrote:
    ill take a few off your hands
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    BinFrog wrote:

i had way too many... got rid of way too many... grubbed way too many more... got rid of way too many and now i'm grubbing again.

but i limit myself to 4 in the chain at anyone one time.
  • "I, on the other hand, have WAY too many pedals."

Well I believe no man should own more pairs of pants than he does pedals. You can have more pedals, thats fine, but less pants than pedals.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Have you listened to rock radio lately? Lotsa compression there....

My DynaComp is the one pedal I've owned the longest, and I have no intentions of getting rid of it. Instant phat.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    i compress virually all my tracks with plug-ins but nice squishy pedal compression is just a different beast as you know.
    exhausted wrote:
    i had way too many... got rid of way too many... grubbed way too many more... got rid of way too many and now i'm grubbing again.

but i limit myself to 4 in the chain at anyone one time.

I think my loop right now contains maybe 10 pedals, and I have 3-4 I don't use in the regular rotation.

I think the order I have now is:

Akai Shred-O-Matic --> Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer --> Boss DS1 Distortion --> Boss Phase Shifter --> Boss CH-1 Chorus --> Boss DD5 Digital Delay --> Boss PW10 V-Wah --> Zoom RFX-300 Effects Processor --> Akai Headrush Delay --> Boss RV2 Digital Reverb

Pedals I am not currently using:
    Boss Auto Wah
    Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
    Boss GE-7 Equalizer
    Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
    Ibanez Flanger Soundtank
    Akai P1 IntelliPhase
    BinFrog wrote:
    I think my loop right now contains maybe 10 pedals, and I have 3-4 I don't use in the regular rotation.

I think the order I have now is:

Akai Shred-O-Matic --> Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer --> Boss DS1 Distortion --> Boss Phase Shifter --> Boss CH-1 Chorus --> Boss DD5 Digital Delay --> Boss PW10 V-Wah --> Zoom RFX-300 Effects Processor --> Akai Headrush Delay --> Boss RV2 Digital Reverb

Pedals I am not currently using:
    Boss Auto Wah
    Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
    Boss GE-7 Equalizer
    Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
    Ibanez Flanger Soundtank
    Akai P1 IntelliPhase

All that Akai and no MPC 3000? :D You're a prime canidate for the Line 6 floor pod. I think you would dig it.

Currently All I have in the loop is a Morley Bad Horsie - Barber Direct Drive - BJFE -EGDM (in the mail) - Line 6 DL4 (which I'm thinking of trading for a vibe) strait to the amp.
    They are on the MPC4000 now :)
    BinFrog wrote:
    They are on the MPC4000 now :)

Like always, I'm a day late and a mil short. :D