i've misjudged you, jim dunlop...

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm on a cheap pedal binge (got a raise).

so i played a ton of MXR reissues etc. yesterday since i love my phase90 and dynacomp so much.

came home with a distortion+ and a crybaby QZone (since i don't like wah but love parked wah and my homemade one is gone).

there, i said it, i think the dunlop MXR reissues are good for the price. :o

you know why everyone thinks the D+ sucks? because they're all playing it into a 15W practice amp set on clean.

i played it though a hand-wired, 18W marshall 1974x. there we go. that's the stuff.

and, hopefully, today, an effector13 disaster fuzz (from fleabay) should arrive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm on a cheap pedal binge (got a raise).

so i played a ton of MXR reissues etc. yesterday since i love my phase90 and dynacomp so much.

came home with a distortion+ and a crybaby QZone (since i don't like wah but love parked wah and my homemade one is gone).

there, i said it, i think the dunlop MXR reissues are good for the price. :o

you know why everyone thinks the D+ sucks? because they're all playing it into a 15W practice amp set on clean.

i played it though a hand-wired, 18W marshall 1974x. there we go. that's the stuff.

and, hopefully, today, an effector13 disaster fuzz (from fleabay) should arrive.

They really are great value for the money, I think people are disapointed mainly because of the potential of what they can become. Kind of like Boss.

The D+ to me is in the same vein as the Rat with maybe a bit less Hair. Essentially, it's AC/DC tone. Super fun to play with.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    more fuzzy though. definitely. more highs than the rat too.

i just can't be bothered with tracking down vintage originals etc. besides, i can mod these guilt-free if i want.
    exhausted wrote:
    more fuzzy though. definitely. more highs than the rat too.

i just can't be bothered with tracking down vintage originals etc. besides, i can mod these guilt-free if i want.

you never had the keeley version, yeah that screws up my perceptions I guess.

The r28 pretty much perfects the P90.

I wonder what chip is in the D+. I bet you can get tons of them from Mouser. Michael Ibraham of MI pedals fame, had a discussion about chips over on TGP. He likes the LM1308 very much in the Blue Boy. That'd be a quick easy mod. I'm sure the D+ is OPAMP based.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I play my D+ through a 80 watt 6L6 amp and I think it still sucks.

I just can't get a good tone out it.
    I play my D+ through a 80 watt 6L6 amp and I think it still sucks.

what is it that you dislike? tone is subjective, chances are we can recommend something more to your liking.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    you never had the keeley version, yeah that screws up my perceptions I guess.

The r28 pretty much perfects the P90.

I wonder what chip is in the D+. I bet you can get tons of them from Mouser. Michael Ibraham of MI pedals fame, had a discussion about chips over on TGP. He likes the LM1308 very much in the Blue Boy. That'd be a quick easy mod. I'm sure the D+ is OPAMP based.

way back, i bought a grab bag of parts and starting to layout a D+ clone. i have a bunch of ICs for it. i have to pop the reissue open and see what it's got compared to the parts i have on hand. perhaps i have the stuff on hand to make some improvements if i deem it necessary.

in my ph90, the R28 is on the switch and i honestly couldn't hear the difference since i'm running overdriven most of the time. however, after the dynacomp with a good, clean signal, you can hear the distortion drop out when R28 is off. very subtle though.

and i still can't get a definitive answer on the bypass on these things. it's passive, that's all i know. i really think it's the RAT type bypass.

is the amp overdriven? if it's clean to start with, i can see why it may not be working out.
    exhausted wrote:
    way back, i bought a grab bag of parts and starting to layout a D+ clone. i have a bunch of ICs for it. i have to pop the reissue open and see what it's got compared to the parts i have on hand. perhaps i have the stuff on hand to make some improvements if i deem it necessary.

in my ph90, the R28 is on the switch and i honestly couldn't hear the difference since i'm running overdriven most of the time. however, after the dynacomp with a good, clean signal, you can hear the distortion drop out when R28 is off. very subtle though.

and i still can't get a definitive answer on the bypass on these things. it's passive, that's all i know. i really think it's the RAT type bypass.

Analog Mike says the bypass on the DC isn't TB but it's very good plus it's a pain in the ass to convert.
    yup. not worth the time.

honestly, 6 or 7 pedals, TB or not, are going to degrade signal just based on the length of wire involved in hooking them up.
    exhausted wrote:
    yup. not worth the time.

honestly, 6 or 7 pedals, TB or not, are going to degrade signal just based on the length of wire involved in hooking them up.

au contrare mufrere. Not when you have a good buffer. :D
    ok, valvulator aside.
    exhausted wrote:
    ok, valvulator aside.

Believe it or not the Morley Bad Horsie wah has a great buffer.
  • I use the D+ through a number of different settings and I still can't get it to sound good.

1.) Clean amp
    2.) Slightly overdriven amp + the Distortion + to give a little more edge
    3.) Full out lead channel + Distortion + to give it a boost and a little more saturation.

I usually just use my amp overdrive, but I also have a SD-1 and a TS-9. Not in the need of any new pedals right now. But if someone wants to give me some amp setting suggestions to make the D+ sound good, please do.

The amp is a Traynor YVC80 with Electro-Harmonix 6L6 and 12AX7 tubes.
    I use the D+ through a number of different settings and I still can't get it to sound good.

1.) Clean amp
    2.) Slightly overdriven amp + the Distortion + to give a little more edge
    3.) Full out lead channel + Distortion + to give it a boost and a little more saturation.

I usually just use my amp overdrive, but I also have a SD-1 and a TS-9. Not in the need of any new pedals right now. But if someone wants to give me some amp setting suggestions to make the D+ sound good, please do.

The amp is a Traynor YVC80 with Electro-Harmonix 6L6 and 12AX7 tubes.

sounds like you are covered pretty well. Sell it on Ebay and let the GAS flow :D
    is it harshness in the highs that is the problem?
  • exhausted wrote:
    is it harshness in the highs that is the problem?

Harshness. It's WAY to harsh sounding.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    sounds like you are covered pretty well. Sell it on Ebay and let the GAS flow :D

Man I have MAD gas (not farts :) )

I'm just sooo poor right now, everything I own I bought when I was 17 and rich.

I want stuff!
    aha.

i have a motorola IC (exactly as the one that was in my old rat) and an IC socket so i think i'll put the socket in there at some point and try the different chips. i have a bunch of 741s.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395

I've always had a huge beef with the Danelectro Daddy-O pedal... it always seemed really buzz-saw harsh, no character, really thin... hearing other people play them, hearing myself play them... I oned one I got on a trade deal for a while, and I could never come to terms with it.

Last night I was at a jam session with a few folks, and one guy was playing a cheap hollowbody electric thru a Crybaby and a Daddy-O into a Vibrolux RI. Fucking gorgeous tone. Go figure.

Ultimately, the right pedal for some will be the wrong pedal for others. Besides the Line 6, there isn't a pedal that nails every desired tone... I used to hate Big Muffs, now I'm a proud owner! Flip it to someone who might really love it, and get something you'll have more fun with. May I suggest a Boss DS-2?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.