exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Stands up and Cheers!!

YEAH!!!!! Greg.

put an alnico speaker in that bad boy.

dear Fender, Please build the princeton reverb again or make the Pro Jr. Available in lacquered tweed with a 6V6 Power section.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    That amp looks awfully familiar! Blues Jr?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah, it's one of the special edition blues jrs in the lacquered tweed with a jensen ceramic.

i think guitar center had these at one point and now long & mcquade got a run of them for their 50th anniversary. just has a little badge on the back.

the jensen sounds pretty damn good so we'll see if i do anything to it.

went to try the pro jr. but they had this and considering the relative rarity, the upgraded speaker, the reverb and the wicked tweed, it was worth the extra $$$$. i can use this one on it's own easily whereas the pro jr. would need some goodies to keep up.
    exhausted wrote:
    yeah, it's one of the special edition blues jrs in the lacquered tweed with a jensen ceramic.

i think guitar center had these at one point and now long & mcquade got a run of them for their 50th anniversary. just has a little badge on the back.

the jensen sounds pretty damn good so we'll see if i do anything to it.

went to try the pro jr. but they had this and considering the relative rarity, the upgraded speaker, the reverb and the wicked tweed, it was worth the extra $$$$. i can use this one on it's own easily whereas the pro jr. would need some goodies to keep up.

True, change the V1 preamp tube to a tung sol and it will help out quite a bit too with the tone unless that's one of the ones that got the very nice US made GT's which sound great. That's probably the perfect amp for what you wanted, and it's freaking gorgeous. Looks like it was made as a matched pair with the 62.

I didn't realize that had the jensen too nice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i believe the tubes are the usual rebranded sovteks. at first glance anyway.

and that leather handle.... hell on the hands.
    exhausted wrote:
    i believe the tubes are the usual rebranded sovteks. at first glance anyway.

and that leather handle.... hell on the hands.

it's not too heavy though. I really like the 12AX7LPS's from Sovtek and those are only like 12 bucks everywhere.
    Knew it! That's my amp. Right down to the tweed and the jensen speaker.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    it's not too heavy though. I really like the 12AX7LPS's from Sovtek and those are only like 12 bucks everywhere.

i had to carry it like 10 blocks to the train.... booooo.
    moster78 wrote:
    Knew it! That's my amp. Right down to the tweed and the jensen speaker.

i thought yours was tweed too and i knew how much you liked yours so that helped.
    exhausted wrote:
    i thought yours was tweed too and i knew how much you liked yours so that helped.

Yeah, I've had it for a year, so now its time to either mess with it, either upgrade the speakers or tubes, or get another amp. I told my roommate he could have the Blues Jr. on permanent loan as long as he was living with me if I got another amp, with the option to buy if and when he moves out. We'll see. Been eying a '59 Bassman.
  • check out musiciansfriend.com

there is a new princeton reverb

price........ $999

built with attentuator and "stompbox style" od
    that can both be switched out.

would love to try it, but let me say again

price: $ 999

i can buy a vibrolux used or new for that.
    hell you can buy two used Princetons for that

congrats on the tweed tho. hope you're as happy with
    that as you would've been with the princetons you were shopping.
    looks great!
    check out musiciansfriend.com

there is a new princeton reverb

price........ $999

built with attentuator and "stompbox style" od
    that can both be switched out.

would love to try it, but let me say again

price: $ 999

i can buy a vibrolux used or new for that.
    hell you can buy two used Princetons for that

congrats on the tweed tho. hope you're as happy with
    that as you would've been with the princetons you were shopping.
    looks great!

yeah, I know about that, I think that "recording amp" was maybe a cute idea, but I don't want built in overdrive and compressor. I just want the old blackface fender princeton reverb. Maybe with a tube driven verb and tremolo and an alnico weber 10. It dosen't need an attenuator. It's not that loud even cranked to 10.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, I know about that, I think that "recording amp" was maybe a cute idea, but I don't want built in overdrive and compressor. I just want the old blackface fender princeton reverb. Maybe with a tube driven verb and tremolo and an alnico weber 10. It dosen't need an attenuator. It's not that loud even cranked to 10.

If I had an old Princeton, I'd get the "Randall Smith upgrade" that he did, and Carlos Santana made famous! ;)

Nice amp Exhausted! Good luck with it. That is cool that you could use that on it's own, too, not just for stereo!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • anyone have any idea how to laquer tweed? my blues deville 4x10 needs the glow...what kind of "substance" is it, and can you purchase it at Rona/home hardware/canadian tire? i know a few people with pnuematic spray guns... so i just need to knwo the kind of laquer it is, and what sort of preparations need to be done.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    i see it come up every so often on gear boards. honestly, every time i see a home done lacquer job, it looks baaaad.
    How do you lacquer Tweed amps cases?

I remember someone posting detailed instructions on this back at the FDP or TDPRI a few different times.
    I'm bored and thinking about doing an aged lacquer on my RI tweed case. How do I do it?

>The choice for "lacquering" tweed amps is Zinsser Bullseye Orange Shellac brushed on although just today
    someone told me that it is available in an aerosol spray can. My question is how do you clean the tweed before
    applying the shellac? Perhaps you could clean it with spray on carpet cleaner and vacuum (did I just misspell
    vacuum or is this the only word in the English language with double "u"s?). I'm not sure about the cleaning but
    pretty confident on the Zinsser.

>Bill, you might consider putting together a tweed aging kit, or a shellacking kit of some sort. I have seen the
    spray shellac but not tried it yet.

>Here's the "formula" as discussed on the old TDP, and field tested by Bill Hullett: Orange (amber) shellac cut 50/50 (or so) with denatured alcohol solvent, applied with a bristle brush. Multiple coats to achieve the color, and even out splotchiness. Satin lacquer topcoat if desired for protection from alcohol and moisture, and/or to reduce sheen. Brushing splotches could be reduced by spraying, but look fine and authentic. Practice on scrap first... Good china bristle brushes used to be very expensive, now you can find them cheap at the stores that carry Chinese made tools. Contributed by Alan P. 12/2/00
  • exhausted wrote:
    i see it come up every so often on gear boards. honestly, every time i see a home done lacquer job, it looks baaaad.

hmm....good article. i really want to laquer it because a) it looks better b) it will last alot longer. i really need to get it done soon while its new and clean.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19