109 Musicians Predict the 2022 Baseball Season - Mike McCready

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,230
edited April 2022 in The Porch

Mike McCready, Pearl Jam
Seattle Mariners

(Credit: Lindsey Wasson/Getty Images)

What’s your prognosis for the season?
I’m more optimistic going into this season than I’ve been in many years! And not because I expect the M’s to be a serious World Series contender (although it’s not out of the question), but more optimistic they finally end this playoff drought that’s been going on for more than two decades! I’m also optimistic that this revamped lineup will score more runs! #SeaUsRise

What are your reasonable hopes?
It’s reasonable to hope (and think) the Mariners will have a better run differential than in 2021. In theory, this should lead to more wins! But because the M’s were one of the most ‘clutch’ (ie, lucky) teams in league history last season, we’ll likely see some sort of regression in that category. So I expect to see the M’s win games the more traditional way by scoring more runs more often than getting walk-off wins.

What do you think of your team’s new acquisitions (or lack thereof)?
I really like what Jerry DiPoto has done with the entire rebuild, and the new acquisitions this offseason! Outside of Cy Young winner Robbie Ray (which is amazing!), the M’s didn’t really sign or trade for the biggest names out there. But the moves DiPoto made were clever and calculated, and improved the offense. I really like the idea of Adam Frazier hitting near the top of the order, alongside J.P. Crawford. The table should be set more for guys like Ty France, and the newly acquired Jesse Winker and Eugenio Suarez. Those guys have some pop, and on paper, the Mariners’ lineup is immensely better than 2021.

What’s the ceiling/floor?
I think there is a wide range between the M’s ceiling and floor. It’s possible the M’s regress a bit based on what I said earlier about being lucky/clutch, so floating back down to .500 would be disappointing, but wouldn’t necessarily come as a surprise. But if all the young players progress, both with the bat, and on the mound, and the new guys match (or at least come close to) their career highs, I could see this team winning 95 games and being a legitimate contender!

Who’s your player to watch this year?
There are really two pitchers and two position players I’m eager to watch. On the mound, I’m keeping a close eye on prospects Matt Brash, and George Kirby. Matt Brash has an electric arm with an unhittable slider. And George Kirby had been known as a pitcher with great command, but he’s added some zip to his fastball, so I expect him to pitch well in the bigs once he gets called up. With the bat, I’m excited to see if Jarred Kelenic can pick up where he left off at the end of 2021. If he does, he could flirt with a .280 35 HR, 90 RBI type season! And the hype around Julio Rodriguez is REAL! He’s a once-in-a-lifetime, five-tool type talent that is proving in Spring Training he’s ready for the bigs. Not only do I expect him to be a Rookie of the Year candidate, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s mentioned in the MVP chatter at some point this season. And he’s never even played in a big league game!

Will they make the playoffs?
I think the playoffs are a real possibility. The only reason I hesitate is the AL seems to be stacked at the top with the Blue Jays, Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox all primed. Not to mention the White Sox and Astros are still favorites in their divisions. The wild card expansion will enhance their chances, but one of the teams I mentioned, along with the M’s, will miss out.

What’s your record prediction?
I predict 92-70.

What’s your World Series matchup?
Mariners over Mets (a guy can dream, right?)

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    Mets get a rich owner who opens up the checkbook. All that means for a cursed franchise like the Mets is a more expensive injury list. Thanks for thinking of us , Mike!
  • Badass BK
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,938
    Good stuff, D. Thanks for sharing. Go Braves! 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Cardinals win our 12th this year! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    Mets get a rich owner who opens up the checkbook. All that means for a cursed franchise like the Mets is a more expensive injury list. Thanks for thinking of us , Mike!
    Maybe trying to be nice so they can play Citi next year
    I miss igotid88
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,934
    Cardinals win our 12th this year! 
    Dang… Yankees won our 12th back in 1949!  😁
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,230
    Badass BK

Indeed! Hope he sells copies over @ https://www.artillerydesign.com 
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Solid analysis. I do think this is the year they end their playoff drought, but they're not getting past my White Sox.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Padres win our….first
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    Kudos to Mike for a very clear-eyed acknowledgment of expected regression to the mean after the Mariners' overperformance in one-run games last year.  Most fans are not that objective.  Mike's is a very credible optimism. 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    BF25394 said:
    Most fans are not that objective.
    Understatement of the year.

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    mattcoz said:
    BF25394 said:
    Most fans are not that objective.
    Understatement of the year.

:D 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.