quick review: emma transmorgrifier

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
point form since i have a short attention span:

http://godlyke.com/product.asp?item=126

ease of use 7:
this pedal has attack and release controls beyond the regular level and ration controls of most guitar comps. these are very subtle unless dimed or zeroed. however, they do make the compressor more flexible that a dynacomp for instance. you just need more understanding of the controls and their relationship.

sound quality 6 for electric, 9 for acoustic:
way more transparent than the dynacomp, keeley, maxon CP-101 etc. in fact, it ends up being too bright in standard electric guitar applications. i prefer the slightly rolled off highs in the dynacomp for electrics.

range of control allows you to dial in suitable settings for single coils and, to an extent, humbuckers. just depends on how much squash you like. the attack control opens doors for humbuckers. better for overdriven apps than clean when using hums.

back to the brightness. too bright for my ears on electric. however, it's dead perfect for finger picked acoustic sounds. so that's where i'm going to use it. it's ideal for restoring level and clarity when finger picking.

not true bypass. perhaps the newest ones are. this one isn't. again, bad for a pedal of this price. the bypass causes a tonal change to my ears. an issue for electric but not in the acoustic path where i have other buffers in place.

build quality 5:
bad. for a $180US pedal, it's bad. luckily i paid half that. the circuit board is of the quality of the russion EHX stuff. bad. in fact, it arrived to me with a broken solder joint on one capacitor causing a huge output loss (i think the seller tried to pull a fast one on me). quick fix once i found it but not acceptable for a pedal in this price range. plastic jacks soldered to the board. switch is offboard and sturdy. again, not true bypass. plus marks for the rubber cement reinforcement of the wire connections to the board and switch. the enclosure itself is a brick and the electro-coat label is nice. looks expensive until you open the pedal up.

so anyway, it's great for my acoustic guitars but i'm sticking with my dynacomp for electric.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    bright huh, bet I'd like it. My amp is darkish. My LP is like the heart of Africa.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    in that combination, it might be better. it was just too much for a fender amp though.
    exhausted wrote:
    in that combination, it might be better. it was just too much for a fender amp though.

yeah the DR's are on the light side already. I think that's why the TS because a popular combo with the Strat really. Fatness another reason the Dynacomp is so cool.

I think you should try an Orange Squeezer clone. Rosses are boring now.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i'm also fighting with a maxon OD9 while my diamond drive gets fixed.

i've got the tone down around 9 o'clock and it's still a hair too bright with the strat. fine with the SG and paul though. it's brighter than my rust booster. i may have to get another soul pressure instead.

but i think i prefer the diamond. it's tone control adds bass response in a roundabout way. much nicer.
    what's wrong with the DD.

I was impressed by the construction. Lots of good caps all around. I'd experiment with OP Amps I think.

LM 1458 is aparently awesome when you get a good one.
    oh, just the bypass switched failed. it wasn't their fault. i had replaced it but done a sloppy job. i sent it to them to get it done properly with a new switch and a decent soldering iron. they're even doing it under warranty.
    All the people I know from Nova Scotia are cool.
    i toyed with the idea of getting them to send me a J Drive instead for a bit.

i don't really use the boost on the DD but always use a separate clean boost.
    exhausted wrote:
    i toyed with the idea of getting them to send me a J Drive instead for a bit.

i don't really use the boost on the DD but always use a separate clean boost.

I wish I could purchase a talent boost.
    me too. my hands and ears are pure lead right now.