finally found a recording set up that works....

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i don't know why i didn't think to try this sooner. it's still a compromise but remember, i can't turn the volume up in here.

took the line out from my mini-mass and fed it into my POD. then i'm using just some EQ ("tube preamp" model) and the cabinet simulations in the POD but not the actual amp models.

the line out into the "2x12 blackface" cabinet model mic'ed with "off axis 57" sounds pretty damn close to mic'ing the amp's speaker at the volumes i can approach.

this is going to work fairly well i think.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    i don't know why i didn't think to try this sooner. it's still a compromise but remember, i can't turn the volume up in here.

took the line out from my mini-mass and fed it into my POD. then i'm using just some EQ ("tube preamp" model) and the cabinet simulations in the POD but not the actual amp models.

the line out into the "2x12 blackface" cabinet model mic'ed with "off axis 57" sounds pretty damn close to mic'ing the amp's speaker at the volumes i can approach.

Interesting, a friend at GC used to use the Tube pre off off a HRD because he said it sounded a lot like a twin. IT's probably a good marriage. I have distortion problems with mine. I want to mic at full volume but the mic and the BR can't take it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    does your minimass have a lineout? and if so, does the BR have some cab simulation? it may be worth a shot.

it's still not perfect but it gets me a lot closer than all-pod was getting me. i can hear the amp section much better now and thus can get a perfectly clean strat sound that doesn't sound dull to me because of the volume.
    yeah, I should be using the Matchless sim, I never have been a big fan of COSM especially when I have an orange right there, but I should try it. You need to here the UniP anyway.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i'll do clips of mine when they arrive with the set-up to see what other ears think.
  • When I finally get enough money to get my real recording stuff going, I'm going to use a POD xt as the interface. You should hear what some of the players on the Harmony-Central forum can do with that thing. These guys have boutique amps (think Bogner, Matchless, Mesa) and they still use the POD xt for their recording. It's absolutely mindblowing how good it sounds.

:)
    i really do like mine. i've just had trouble lately getting patches i like with it. or at least, getting patches to accept my external pedals well.

mine an XT as well.

i use it as my acoustic processor as well and it's beautiful for that.
    exhausted wrote:
    i really do like mine. i've just had trouble lately getting patches i like with it. or at least, getting patches to accept my external pedals well.

mine an XT as well.

i use it as my acoustic processor as well and it's beautiful for that.

Thus, is my problem with the POD. Pedals don't work well with it, neither did the amp. Once I get the PA, then I'll get a POD.
  • exhausted wrote:

you know in a couple days you won't like the sound of it. ;) chameleon ear.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Telesonic wrote:
    you know in a couple days you won't like the sound of it. ;) chameleon ear.

i know. i hate that. it did still sound good this morning though which is a good sign. it's not taking my tweakfuzz very well though but everything else is great.

had my rickenbacker chiming away nicely.
  • Yeah, that's the thing with the POD and POD xt. People use for a live setting into their amplifier. It's not meant for that, and will sound brittle and shitty at a live volume. It's mean't to be plugged directly into the PA, or used for recording.

:)