dual post: left the amp off / shannon phaser review

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
and just played acoustic for a while. i actually managed to write some music. i think i'm on to something.

my review of the phaser verbatim from my HC review.

Ease of Use: 8
Control pots for Speed, Color and Volume. The only quirk is the fact that the speed knob operates in reverse (ie, clockwise decreases speed rather than increases). Not a big deal but it takes a while for you to remember that when making adjustments. Volume control is nice for zeroing in on unity gain (at about 3 o'clock) or a slight boost. Color control takes you from a darker phaser to a brighter sound. Provides for flexibility to adjust based on your amp/guitar etc. Blinding white LED to indicate "on" status. Don't look directly at it. Angled enclosure that fits my foot angle makes the simple act of engaging the switch even nicer. Takes a standard Boss type 9V adapter and operates just as happily on that as a battery.

I'll subtract 2 for the reverse speed control though because it's counter-intuitive.

Sound Quality: 10
Rig for this review was a 95 Fender Am. Std. Strat with Lace Holy Grails and a 04 Gibson SG Std. with stock 490R/498T through a VP Jr, an older reissue dynacomp, shannon phaser, an HAO sole pressure, an HAO rust booster and a line6 DL4 into a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue with a vintage 30. I prefer my modulations before my gains. Didn't test with the phase after gain pedals.

This is a take on the vintage script MXR Phase 90 and it sounds beautiful. Full and rich with none of the high end harshness and distortion that the Dunlop reissues suffer from. With the color and speed knobs you can dial in nice watery phase for cleans with the Strat and thick, almost vibey, swampy phase for overdriven riffs and leads with the LP. Far more flexible than the Phase 90 or the EHX Small Stone. The small stone's a different beast though.

Pedal is true bypass and gets along with everything else in the rig whether it's on or off. Slight noise when on that most analog effects suffer from but better than the aforementioned Dunlop reissue. Very very minor.

Reliability: N/A
Given it's solid construction, I anticipate no problems. I'm not gigging right now but I'd have no qualms about having no back up for it.

The construction of this pedals is among the best I've seen. This is in the same league as Barber and Diamond. Heavy metal enclosure, extremely well made circuit board and solid assembly. It's quite beautiful.

I can't give a rating at this time, however.

Customer Support: 10
Eric Shannon is a great guy to deal with. He was very helpful through the buying process and though I've had no technical issues with the pedal, I have no doubts he'd be very good on the service end too.

Overall Rating: 10
I bought this during the process of reducing the number of effects I use but making sure the ones I do use are high quality. This replaced a Phase 90 reissue easily. I would buy another if I had to replace it and was able to track one down.

This does the vintage Phase 90 sound beautifully with lots of added flexibility. I'm very happy with it.

Given the price of most boutique modulation effects, this is reasonably prices and met all my expectations.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My impressions were very similar to yours, you might blow your mind with the all opposite Zvex stuff.

Unity gain is 3pm on the Uniphase too. It's just a fantastic pedal.

You know how Keeley's trademark is semi brightness?

Eric's is smoothness all the way around, very round and smooth.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.