Options

Why isn't Nil Lofgren more recognized as one of the great guitarists?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
edited March 2022 in Other Music
Seriously!  Check out Nils' playing here and see what you think.  This is off his Back it Up; Nils Lofgren Live, An Authorized Bootleg:

Back It Up Nils Lofgren Live An Authorized Bootleg  Discogs

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,783
    I don't know who he is. What do I know.. nothing! Stuck listening to what I know. For now.so much music so little time.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    I knew of him from FM radio back in the 70’s! It wasn’t till the 80’s that i found out he was part of the E street band, I believe I saw him solo have to look through my ticket stubs..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I don't know who he is. What do I know.. nothing! Stuck listening to what I know. For now.so much music so little time.

If you're at all intrigue, Lou, besides the excellent Authorized Bootleg already mention, these two are excellent Nils records.  Both have what for me are a couple of duds, but the rest is really great:
    Self titled:
    Nils Lofgren - Nils Lofgren  Releases  Discogs
    and Best of Grin:

The Best Of Grin Featuring Nils Lofgren 1976 Vinyl - Discogs
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I knew of him from FM radio back in the 70’s! It wasn’t till the 80’s that i found out he was part of the E street band, I believe I saw him solo have to look through my ticket stubs..

Yes, Nils worked with Springsteen for quite a while as well as (of course) Neil Young and Crazy Horse.  His work on the First Crazy Horse (self-titled) LP is terrific!

Another fine album (only available on CD though) is this one, all solo Neil Young covers:
    Nils Lofgren  The Loner Nils Sings Neil 2008 CD - Discogs

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,223
    That's because he didn't join the ESB till 1984 for the Born in the USA tour. Steven Van Zandt left at that time to pursue solo work and Bruce hired Nils to replace him for that tour. Steven of course later returned but Nils remained part of the band. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Here are a couple of clues, perhaps, as to why Lofgren is not more widely recognized:  From an AllMusic review of Nils' album Wonderland:

"Lofgren's vocal is more precise and radio-friendly than his boss, the Boss. That's the strange thing about the music biz -- when a voice is superior [and I agree that it is] and the music more commercial, it still takes a back seat to personality; listen to any hit song from Neil Young to verify that statement...
    The key thing that's missing to bring music this good to the masses is an overpowering persona, and it seems Nils Lofgren is just too nice a guy to put that driving arrogance behind the sounds to catapult them onto AM and FM radio. Even more of a pity is that Backstreet/MCA couldn't do it for him, because the artist certainly gave them extraordinary product to work with here."

• Options
    Another reason- acoustical this time- why I'm a huge fan.  The solo on this is outrageously good!

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Poncier said:
    That's because he didn't join the ESB till 1984 for the Born in the USA tour. Steven Van Zandt left at that time to pursue solo work and Bruce hired Nils to replace him for that tour. Steven of course later returned but Nils remained part of the band. 
    Ah I didn’t know that! Cool info 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,754
    Likely prefers anonymity over the limelight.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Likely prefers anonymity over the limelight.

I don't know the man so I can't say with authority, but I'm guessing that is part of the deal.  
    Perhaps more than that though.  I've read a few things since starting this post last year that given some clues to the answer to my question.  
    First thing I found is this, from the AllMusic review for Lofgren's album, Wonderland:   
    "Wonderland is a surprisingly commercial work from guitarist/vocalist Nils Lofgren, opening with a very catchy and impressive "Across the Tracks," followed quickly by the beautiful "Into the Night," which has flavors of Bruce Springsteen, though Lofgren's vocal is more precise and radio-friendly than his boss, the Boss. That's the strange thing about the music biz -- when a voice is superior and the music more commercial, it still takes a back seat to personality listen to any hit song from Neil Young verify that statement."

In other words, Lofgren, in his music and music dealings, does not have the more outward and powerful strength of personality as Springsteen or Young, but he certainly has the talent- arguably more so in some ways (for one thing a better voice than either of the other two*, and certainly more skill as a musician). 

The other thing I found is something I read that I haven't been able to track down again since I came across it.  It was something from an interview from earlier this year where Lofgren mentioned his desire to tour with Crazy Horse again this year to promote Barn, but settled on doing gigs with Springsteen (i.e., the man needed work).  He didn't come right out and say it, but I think he was disappointed in not getting the recognition to tour with Young and Company where he would have gained better position in that quartet than with the Springsteen- dominant larger band. (In fact, someone here earlier mentioned Lofgren being underutilized by Springsteen).  Lofgren bemoaned a certain lack of recognition, saying he doesn't understand why, because he has "paid his dues". 

And my own ongoing assessment is that Nils Lofgren has not being given his due.  I can't even begin to list the names of all the musicians- fine though they may be in their own right- who don't posses the talent Nils Lofgren has.  And it's not just technical prowess that makes him great.  Anyone who has watched him play- the Keith Don't Go video I posted above is a great example- can easily recognize the passion in the artist. 

And one other factor:  Nils Lofgren is a quintessential "Musician's Musician".  I would say the same about this and all of the above about another favorite of mine- David Lindley (R.I.P.).

*And I'm not saying people will or "should" like Nil's voice better.  Personally, I like Young's voice best, Lofgren's next, and Springsteens after that, and all three are great.  But, at least from a purely vocal position, I think there is an good argument for Lofgren being the most skilled vocalist of the three.

• Options