ok, i promise i won't smoke the link this time...

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
edit: link now points to the finished version. such as it is.

ifs & whens (done)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    no abuse, just kind words.

very good, very catchy, please add the words onto the music, if the words equal the music you created, it will be amongst your best stuff.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Its really good man. Really catchy. I'm curious to hear it with lyrics too.
  • I like it a lot, except for the solo. your rymth is all light and twirly and stuff, and then, all of the sudden there's this heavy, almost droning solo coming in (I'm exagerating, but it's just to show my point). It sounds better near the end though. The drums don't bother me at all.

Just curious: how many different guitar layers are in there?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah, i'm not sold on the solo either. i need to sit down and try to jam out a few different options.

as for guitar layers, off the top of my head.

acoustic (left) : stereo (one direct, one mic'ed) larrivee
    electric (right) : stereo (one direct, one mic'ed) telecaster
    rickenbacker (left): mono (direct)
    rickenbacker (right): mono (direct)
    solo: stereo (direct) SG
    phaser electric (right): mono (mic'ed) telecaster
    clean stabs electric (left): mono (mic'ed) telecaster

so 7 parts but 10 tracks
  • You're gonna need a huge band if you're ever playing that one live :p
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i like :) i can see what ppl are saying about your solo i dont think theres anything wrong with it but the thing that people probably arent picking up on is the reason its so obtrusive is that it very high in the mix and as the rest of the instruments are nice and bright and clean sounding having a very tonally low sounding solo come in doesnt seem to fit in with the vibe of the rest of it. If it was me i do go for a cleaner sounding minor arpeggio ((kinda knopflery) sounding solo possibly with your tele in the middle position. On ideas for a vocally melody i hear a kinda new era matthew good kinda vibe on it :) but hey thats just me and you may detest the guy haha.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • DopeBeastieDopeBeastie Posts: 2,513
    i'd bust out that wonky piano you have at the beginning for the solo
    i love the tone in that...
    btw...

"knopflery" is one of the best adjectives i've ever heard :)
    kigcat wrote:
    i like :) i can see what ppl are saying about your solo i dont think theres anything wrong with it but the thing that people probably arent picking up on is the reason its so obtrusive is that it very high in the mix and as the rest of the instruments are nice and bright and clean sounding having a very tonally low sounding solo come in doesnt seem to fit in with the vibe of the rest of it. If it was me i do go for a cleaner sounding minor arpeggio ((kinda knopflery) sounding solo possibly with your tele in the middle position. On ideas for a vocally melody i hear a kinda new era matthew good kinda vibe on it :) but hey thats just me and you may detest the guy haha.

i'm an enormous fan of matthew good's music as an aside. no influence really creeps into the music but i love his stuff.

rach, the piano at the beginning is clean piano that i pitch shifted and time stretched all to hell in protools. it's my favourite effect.
    it reminds me of the Cure's work on so many things... but especially "Just Like Heaven"...

try that tone...

it's a really nice tune :)
  • EX,

So you are greg snell eh! I didn't know where that song came from, I have this nice soft song on my playlist that I listen to. I think it's called time.

Anyway, I like it (the new one). I was singing some melody over it to try and figure how it sould sound with words. Is the solo tube screamered? Or what is it? Yah it's really the first note of the solo that sounds bad, not necessarily the whole thing, and cause like people said, it's this massive fat note blowing a hole through this nice quiet song.

I think it's pretty cool anyway. Nice stuff. I especially like the bit of music coming right out of the solo, I can't quite put my finger on what it reminds me of.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    it's one of these:
    http://diamondpedals.com/products/drive.html

into a booster, into the amp. it's too much fuzz. the diamond alone would be fine. it sounds brilliant through the amp's speaker but i'm having trouble getting it to record.

i've revised the solo a bit. added a few notes etc. but i'm still trying to find the right tone for it. not going well.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    it's one of these:
    http://diamondpedals.com/products/drive.html

into a booster, into the amp. it's too much fuzz. the diamond alone would be fine. it sounds brilliant through the amp's speaker but i'm having trouble getting it to record.

i've revised the solo a bit. added a few notes etc. but i'm still trying to find the right tone for it. not going well.

I've had the same trouble, the digital preamps get smoked by good pedals.

cool stuff by the way. The ric sounds great. try re recording the solo bit with the Ric instead.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhausted wrote:
    for at least as long as i'm asleep. ;)

rough mix. no automations etc. still need to do vocals too but i wanted to see if anyone had any feedback or abuse or whatever. i started over a couple days ago.

apologies in advance for the sampled drums.

ifs & whens (in progress)

i like it up to the solo...the sound just doesn't seem to go...it sort of made me cringe, not because, in and of itself, it's a bad solo...but, because it's a solo that doesn't fit what you have before it...maybe clean it up...sharper sound...

the piano - it seems kiddish...just my opinion...

you always have the coolest tones...you'll nail this one...don't scrap it...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    link now points to the finished version. such as it is. if anyone's curious.
  • Yah the solos good now. Sounds nice. I like the song.

I like time alot better. Which song do you think is better?

I think time is really good. Like when my girlfriend heard time she said "hey who is this, I like this song"
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i like it!!!!
    way to go, exhausted.
    where is this other one, time?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more