an interesting quirk with this ground loop hum thing

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i bought this:

http://www.artproaudio.com/products_main.asp?cat=13&id=106&type=90&show=

well, in Canada they're branded "APEX" but same thing.

worked like a charm for killing the ground loop between the two amps when only running one amp through it. running both through it still resulted in hum. anyway. an aside.

so yeah, worked great but whenever i'd hit a gain pedal the signal would drop and loss all bottom end. turn the delay on and things were fine.

weird.

so i figured out that this little box only likes buffered signals and my chorus's output was doing the job until i turned on a pedal downstream of it.

luckily, i remembered the DL4 can be switched to a buffered output mode and that solved the problem but it was an interesting gotcha. i guess it's an impedance issue.

[/geek]
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    hmm, I wonder if there's another way to prevent hum between the two in stereo, where is the little magic box placed?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's placed in the line between one of the amps and the DL4 output. pretty much no other way to do it. every single stereo connection i've ever used had some buzz, including the launch pad. things are dead silent now.

it's not really a problem. i just have trailing delays now and, as a bonus, no pop when i turn a delay on.
    exhausted wrote:
    it's placed in the line between one of the amps and the DL4 output. pretty much no other way to do it. every single stereo connection i've ever used had some buzz, including the launch pad. things are dead silent now.

it's not really a problem. i just have trailing delays now and, as a bonus, no pop when i turn a delay on.

I'm just wondering if maybe 2 Isolators on each amp might make it work in stereo, you know me, attempting expensive solutions to simple problems. It may not even work, but it seems like it would in theory. Trailing delays are fun.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    well, it behaved the same whether i had both lines going through the isolator too so i don't think so. i believe the buffered signal would still be required.

it's all good and these two amps sound very good layered together. it's a nice match.
    exhausted wrote:
    well, it behaved the same whether i had both lines going through the isolator too so i don't think so. i believe the buffered signal would still be required.

it's all good and these two amps sound very good layered together. it's a nice match.

That's what I've thought. Orange is kind of like a milder rounder vox sound at least the EL84 amps anyway.

One day when I travel to calgary I'll bring the EGDM with me so you can bask in it's loveliness.
    i'll have to play it own it's own for a while just to fully understand it's capabilities. i'm over the moon with it though so far.
    exhausted wrote:
    i'll have to play it own it's own for a while just to fully understand it's capabilities. i'm over the moon with it though so far.

mine only allows brief goodness before getting all crappy because it's mad at me for not replacing tubes soon enough. It's an awesome amp though I'm still happy with my choice.
  • My opinion is that the box is made for pro-audio, not instrument signals, so the impedance issue is likely the exact problem. It wants a low-Z signal.

But ultimately, if you have it working, don't mess with it!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    My opinion is that the box is made for pro-audio, not instrument signals, so the impedance issue is likely the exact problem. It wants a low-Z signal.

But ultimately, if you have it working, don't mess with it!

that's what i figure too. i was actually looking for the model called a "cleanbox II" as it seemed that was geared to guitar signals but the specs on this are the same.

but yeah, it's working and sounds transparent so it's fine.
  • Hey guys,

I see you say the buzz was created do to running amps in stereo?

Is this why when I plug my Ad9 into my 2 amps, the one buzzes like a bastard?

Cause, holy shit let me tell you. The buzz outa my hiwatt is unbearable.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Hey guys,

I see you say the buzz was created do to running amps in stereo?

Is this why when I plug my Ad9 into my 2 amps, the one buzzes like a bastard?

Cause, holy shit let me tell you. The buzz outa my hiwatt is unbearable.

yes. exactly. it's a ground loop hum.