got my orange tonight

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
amps

:D

first impressions are summed up entirely with the word "burble". that's the best way i can describe this thing at breakup. it's beautiful. and that's at only may 1/3 gain. i wish i could crank the master. hopefully i'll be able to do so at a jam soon.

very happy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what a beautiful picture. :D I hope mine looks very similar when it's all said and done.

makes call to ted weber for another MASS.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • that looks very :D, indeed
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    trivia about my orange: the chassis was assembled on 9/11.

it's got ruby EL84s, sovtek 12ax7s and an unbranded rectifier tube right now. the ruby's seem to sound very nice. i've never used them before. perhaps they;re just a rebrand of someone elses.

i probably won't get another weber mass. if i was playing live in a situation where a stereo rig would be used, i'd be able to turn up enough to not be choking the orange on it's own. the weber remains the master for the fender.

at home and recording, i can just move the weber around as needed.

also, for stereo, i'd need an ebtech hum eliminator or a voodoo lab amp selector to kill the ground loop which is pretty loud. but wow did it sound good. go plug into your DL4 on the memory man model paco. just use one of the solid states for the second amp. it's beautiful.

for now, i'm just going to grab a nice reverb pedal for it.

then we'll if any of the jams i've been seeking out come to fruition.
    exhausted wrote:
    trivia about my orange: the chassis was assembled on 9/11.

it's got ruby EL84s, sovtek 12ax7s and an unbranded rectifier tube right now. the ruby's seem to sound very nice. i've never used them before. perhaps they;re just a rebrand of someone elses.

i probably won't get another weber mass. if i was playing live in a situation where a stereo rig would be used, i'd be able to turn up enough to not be choking the orange on it's own. the weber remains the master for the fender.

at home and recording, i can just move the weber around as needed.

also, for stereo, i'd need an ebtech hum eliminator or a voodoo lab amp selector to kill the ground loop which is pretty loud. but wow did it sound good. go plug into your DL4 on the memory man model paco. just use one of the solid states for the second amp. it's beautiful.

for now, i'm just going to grab a nice reverb pedal for it.

then we'll if any of the jams i've been seeking out come to fruition.

It's funny but I use the memory man model almost exclusively now I use the room reverb on my digi for echo. I'll try them in stereo tonight with my Bass amp. I think there is a new Line 6 TC that's supposed to be a good verb, but essentially you'll end up using one or two settings anyhow. The Digiverb is nice for about 50 or 60 bucks which is store cost. My Orange came with EI's from the factory and it's long long overdue for a change. Those could be fairly new tubes. It's such a fun amp. Right at just over half on the volume and oh around 1/4 on the pregain I get my favorite tones, by the way you do know the EQ is active right?

Rubys are rebranded sovteks I think. I think those are probably sovtek 12AX7 LPS models.

I think I might purchase from http://www.tubedepot.com they seem to be about 5 bucks cheaper on tubes I want. The rectifier looks like someones version of a mullard but mine is unbranded as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i knew the EQ was active. cranked them all down and sure enough. initally i'm at bass 1 o'clock middle 2 o'clock treble 11 o'clock. gain about 10 o'clock and master as high as i can get it without feeling guilty. that's about 8 o'clock without the attentuator.

i use thetubestore.com because they're canadian and i don't get nailed on import costs. i'll need to order up a set of backups for this one and some fuses. i have a backup set for the fender already.

i thought i recalled reading the ruby's were rebrands. not that i've ever had issue with sovteks anyway.

i'll go back to the grail for verb unless the shop has a verbzilla to try.
    exhausted wrote:
    i knew the EQ was active. cranked them all down and sure enough. initally i'm at bass 1 o'clock middle 2 o'clock treble 11 o'clock. gain about 10 o'clock and master as high as i can get it without feeling guilty. that's about 8 o'clock without the attentuator.

i use thetubestore.com because they're canadian and i don't get nailed on import costs. i'll need to order up a set of backups for this one and some fuses. i have a backup set for the fender already.

i thought i recalled reading the ruby's were rebrands. not that i've ever had issue with sovteks anyway.

i'll go back to the grail for verb unless the shop has a verbzilla to try.

grail is a good decision, especially since the new ones are TB anyhow I think. Aparently the Sovtek LPS's are some of the best new tubes made. I like the tubestore but because they are canadian it's more spensive for me shipping wise, Tubedepot is in Memphis.

Isn't it incredible how loud that little orange cube is?
  • congrats on the amp. I have been debating on getting rid of my JCM900 head and cabinet, and spending the extra for an orange combo. It would save space, and sound sooooo sweet. I just know I am going to get hammered on the trade in for the Marshall. It's in pristine condition, but I know I'm not gonna get much for it. How much did the orange set you back?
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
    these little guys seem to go for between $675-725 on ebay. mine was a hair under 700 which is about 75% of what they were new in the shops (in canada anyway) when they made them. they are out of production now. i'm not sure what the prices are on the current models but it seems to me the rockerverb 30 isn't ridiculously high priced or anything.
  • I think I'd be running an ABY box instead of stereo... but I like lotsa gain/drive options. It certainly is a great match to the DR... congrats!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    i may look at the amp selector option. then i'm covered for stereo/switching/hum cancelling.

but it's kind moot for me right now.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i may look at the amp selector option. then i'm covered for stereo/switching/hum cancelling.

but it's kind moot for me right now.

Well, if you can afford a Radial... the dog's balls of ABY boxes.

I'm currently using a Morley ABY for the two channels of my Sovtek. "Y" sounds pretty fucking amazing, lemme tell ya... how do the two amps sound together without stereo FX?
    without stereo effect, nice and gravelly. it's a good complement.

i'll look at the radial too (i assume it's active so "y" doesn't send half signal to each output) but the voodoo lab could be the nerve centre of my entire studio when my pods are taken into account.
  • The Radial is an active split, so it sends the appropriate level, yes. But even then, the Morley doesn't half the signal... I'd say each leg when "Y"-ed is about 75-80% output. And it's a passive split (has a battery for the LED, but the split itself is passive).
    i used to have a morley way back when. but it was always to A/B electric and acoustic paths so i never really 'y'ed much.
    well, i just went with the ground isolator because, in all reality, i'm never going to gig again and the amp selector or even the A/B/Y is just gratuitous excess for me. something i've been guilty of so many times and still am but i need to quit it.

i just want to be able to go stereo once in a while in order to indulge my occasional Edge fantasies and spending $45 to do that instead of $300 is appealling.