How Gigaton sounds on Amazon music

Has anyone else noticed the terrible difference of the Gigaton tracks when you play them off of Amazon's streaming music service? This is a recent thing, as when it was first released on amazon they sounded fine and exactly the same as my CD copy of it. Many of the tracks now sound like Ed walked into the studio, someone pushed play on a CD player, and they recorded what he sang over them. Listen to 7 O'clock; you can barely hear Jeff's bass line (my fav part of that song). I'm listening to them on earbuds and wondering how this is passable. Every other song I listen to on Amazon is perfectly normal and fine. The only thing I can think of is that the tracks are meant for 5.1 or something, as some parts just seem to be flat out missing, but wouldn't that still sound normal over earbuds?

Comments

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 736
    Has anyone else noticed the terrible difference of the Gigaton tracks when you play them off of Amazon's streaming music service? This is a recent thing, as when it was first released on amazon they sounded fine and exactly the same as my CD copy of it. Many of the tracks now sound like Ed walked into the studio, someone pushed play on a CD player, and they recorded what he sang over them. Listen to 7 O'clock; you can barely hear Jeff's bass line (my fav part of that song). I'm listening to them on earbuds and wondering how this is passable. Every other song I listen to on Amazon is perfectly normal and fine. The only thing I can think of is that the tracks are meant for 5.1 or something, as some parts just seem to be flat out missing, but wouldn't that still sound normal over earbuds?
    Amazon music has the regular stereo mix in standard and 'HD' but also the Dolby Atmos mix. Just check that Atmos hasn't been playing for you. I had a listen and that mix sounds very strange without the correct gear
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 736
    check what is says in yellow when you play it, and click on this to change the mix
  • wiscojamwiscojam Posts: 343
    edited March 2022
    funny you say this. got new earbuds that support dolby atmos. I listened to gigaton yesterday off Apple Music and it sounded terrible. just as you described. I discovered it sounded better when I turned off the dolby atmos option on my phone settings.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited March 2022
    Are you actively streaming it , or downloading and playing? Not sure about Amazon specifically but usually a downloaded file is higher quality than when you stream it. 

Dolby atmos can either sound great or awful depending on the headphones/equipment  I’ve found. Same as doing the spatial audio settings on Apple Music.  Atmos sounds better than the standard mix in my vehicle via CarPlay but those speakers are made for surround, for example 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • beano.79 said:
    Amazon music has the regular stereo mix in standard and 'HD' but also the Dolby Atmos mix. Just check that Atmos hasn't been playing for you. I had a listen and that mix sounds very strange without the correct gear
    Thank you! This did the trick!