Gigaton’s 2-year Anniversary

It kind of snuck up on us, but believe it or not it’s on Sunday. Even due to the circumstances I find it interesting that we’ve only gotten a small taste of the record, very similar to some of those pre release tours like the Stones opening gig in 1997 or the few Showbox and Key Arena shows in 2002 that took place prior to the massive 2003 tour. There are probably a lot more surprises in store that we’re going to experience starting in May that could alter our enjoyment of the record based on what these songs end up being live. SHN and Ohana were the taste, but now we’re about to get an entree.

So I was interested in seeing what some of the rest of the community thoughts about each track from the record and whether the songs had to grow on them since 2020 or fall out of favor. I think it’s an extremely balanced ranking displaying takes from all different sides of the equation. Feel free to read, called it Gigaton: 2 Years in Retrograde - https://liveon4legs.com/blog/2022/03/25/pearl-jam-gigaton-2-year-release-anniversary/?fbclid=IwAR1kKui6A1Kj_BXcWf4ZDJElaqLkp3sgLqwgB9LnRznTmyzOncxr0C_oAvY
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    between sea hear now , ohana, ohana encore....I think ive seen all the live performances of the album in person besides some of these telecasts etc....strange for a 2 yr old record

Who ever said & Seven O'Clock Gems Live....so are the rest, but those 2 stand out
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    CROJAM95 said:
    between sea hear now , ohana, ohana encore....I think ive seen all the live performances of the album in person besides some of these telecasts etc....strange for a 2 yr old record

Who ever said & Seven O'Clock Gems Live....so are the rest, but those 2 stand out
    Comes Then Goes has yet to be played, wonder what’s gonna happen with it
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    CROJAM95 said:

thats the only one missing, im sure it gets the encore treatment during the tour
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,112
    It was like someone gave them insight to what was coming. I will always associate this album with navigating a new pandemic world while also being in a new difficult relationship. It was an incredibly hard time for me and brings back so many emotions and feelings of isolation and uncertainty.
  • CROJAM95 said:

Honestly, I think it may be too personal of a song and would be surprised if PJ ever plays it. Maybe EdVed will one day, I hope I'm wrong as I love the song and am a huge CC/SG fan.
    2003 Spectrum, Camden 2, Holmdel 2004 Reading, PA 2005 Philly 2006 Hartford, Camden 1&2, E. Rutherford 1&2 2008 Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2  2009 Spectrum 1,2,3,4  2010 Hartford, Newark, MSG 1&2 2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1&2, Philly 1&2,  Baltimore 2014 Leeds, Cincinnati  2015 GCF  2016 Sunrise, Miami, Hampton, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2017 RHoF Induction 2018 Seattle 1&2 Fenway 1&2 2021 Sea Hear Now 2022 Hamilton, Toronto, MSG, Camden 2023 Indy 2024 Indy, MSG 1&2, Philly 1&2, Baltimore

• UKBgirlUKBgirl Posts: 99
    River Cross and Comes Then Goes have really grown on me, even now on my acoustic/mellow playlists.  Still skip Buckle Up regularly though (sorry Stone!).

Gigaton brought me back to PJ - in the UK they really don't get airplay/coverage (the three big ones off Ten and daughter is about it).  I kinda drifted away after Vs as life took some turns and Britpop saturated everything.

Lockdown got me back in a big way - I'm all in and can't wait to see them in London!
  • wiscojamwiscojam Posts: 343
    86-45-2020!
  • Loved all the ones I saw live so far at Sea Hear Now and Ohana Encore...even Buckle Up haters!  (actually I didn't love River Cross, felt under cooked rehearsal-wise)  Haven't seen Retrograde, Alright and Comes then Goes
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Happy early 2nd Birthday on my 44th Birthday Gigaton! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    Loved all the ones I saw live so far at Sea Hear Now and Ohana Encore...even Buckle Up haters!  (actually I didn't love River Cross, felt under cooked rehearsal-wise)  Haven't seen Retrograde, Alright and Comes then Goes
    You’re right about River Cross, it felt passionless

• ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    I love some of the album some parts are ok.   With the talk of recording a new album it had me wondering how long the gigaton tour might go on for.  With a 2 year delay in touring, and oodles of time off to start a new album.... figured I should see the songs live while I can.