San Diego GA Line

cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,342
Anyone have any experience in the GA line for a show at Viejas?  I know it's on SD State campus (been there for NCAA tournament games), so what's allowed in the line while you wait during the day?  Can you have a cooler and beer or do they police it?
hippiemom = goodness

Comments

• DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 966
    idk but I will be joining you!
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,469
    Coffee mugz man
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • I’ll let you know. I’m pulling up now 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Some campuses have moved to allowing alcohol sales in their respective sports facilities. Mizzou (where I live) started doing this for football, not sure about basketball. But Mizzou is considered a dry campus. Example? One of my client's was stopped and given 3 tickets for MIP, open container and those added up to nearly $3k. Maybe this information is stated on the campus website. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,342
    Some campuses have moved to allowing alcohol sales in their respective sports facilities. Mizzou (where I live) started doing this for football, not sure about basketball. But Mizzou is considered a dry campus. Example? One of my client's was stopped and given 3 tickets for MIP, open container and those added up to nearly $3k. Maybe this information is stated on the campus website. 
    They serve beer inside for concerts.  I was just wondering how open I could be with my beer.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • SSS81SSS81 Posts: 174
    San Diego will be my first GA show. Any advice for a first timer? How hard is it to find the line, things to expect, how early to show up???
  • SSS81 said:
    San Diego will be my first GA show. Any advice for a first timer? How hard is it to find the line, things to expect, how early to show up???
    For the 2013 show the GA line was at the West entrance and the line stretched toward the north. If you want to be close to the stage, get there really early.  If you just show up when the gates open you'll be in the back of GA but there will be plenty of room to move around so it just depends on what you want
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
    2022: San Diego, LA1
    2024: LA1
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,342
    SSS81 said:
    For the 2013 show the GA line was at the West entrance and the line stretched toward the north. If you want to be close to the stage, get there really early.  If you just show up when the gates open you'll be in the back of GA but there will be plenty of room to move around so it just depends on what you want
    Like how early you talking?  And what if you want in the middle...not so early for front, but you'd rather be 8-15 people from the stage?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    SSS81 said:
    Like how early you talking?  And what if you want in the middle...not so early for front, but you'd rather be 8-15 people from the stage?  
    Unrelated venue, but for Columbia, SC in 2016 I got in line an hour before doors and wound up about 6 people back on Stone’s side. Mike’s was much more filled from the looks of it. But for hardly any waiting, that was perfect. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • SSS81 said:
    Its kinda hard to say.  For the 2013 San Diego show I got in line at 3pm and I was second from the rail. 

If you are good being 8-10 people deep I bet you could get in line 1-2 hours before the gate opens but that's just a guess
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
    2022: San Diego, LA1
    2024: LA1
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    I will most likely have 2 GAs available when F2F starts up here in the next few weeks.  So keep an eye out...
  • jlwkamsjlwkams Posts: 77
    In 2013 I had GA floor and walked in after doors opened, probably close to 30-45 minutes before the band went on stage.  I was shocked at how small the San Diego pit size is (it’s pretty small).  I was also surprised I was able to get rail no problem on Stone’s side and my ticket buddy arrived after me and got rail next to me easily.  I just casually walked up and there was plenty of space. Could have been a random circumstance but thought I would share.  
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    UtahBolt said:
    I will most likely have 2 GAs available when F2F starts up here in the next few weeks.  So keep an eye out...
     Could you PM me before that happens? Been to every SD show since 1995.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    SSS81 said:
    They don't allow camping on campus
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    UtahBolt said:
    I'm looking for one.. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    They serve beer inside for concerts.  I was just wondering how open I could be with my beer.
    Can’t help you there dude. Good luck! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,991
    SSS81 said:

Waited overnight at Missoula 2012. (10 years ago?!) No camping. I was not camping. Just stood there from 1am til showtime. Only one person said I should leave. Glad I did this.  won't do it again though. This was before people waited for days for rail. Likely there will be a line off campus which will move to campus at sunrise. I'm done playing those line games. Too stressful. We all love eachother here, come lineing up for GA. Things will get silly if you want a rail spot.  Have fun, try to remember it's supposed to be a good time rock show.
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    Loujoe said:
    SSS81 said:

Waited overnight at Missoula 2012. (10 years ago?!) No camping. I was not camping. Just stood there from 1am til showtime. Only one person said I should leave. Glad I did this.  won't do it again though. This was before people waited for days for rail. Likely there will be a line off campus which will move to campus at sunrise. I'm done playing those line games. Too stressful. We all love eachother here, come lineing up for GA. Things will get silly if you want a rail spot.  Have fun, try to remember it's supposed to be a good time rock show.
    If you want front center rail, yeah, you have to be one of the first 10 in line basically, but in my opinion, being front and center and waiting in line for 6+ hours vs. getting in line an hour before the doors open and having side rail or being front and center but behind 2 people makes the choice a very easy one.  No camping or wasting all day for me.

19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,523
    Loujoe said:
    SSS81 said:

If you want front center rail, yeah, you have to be one of the first 10 in line basically, but in my opinion, being front and center and waiting in line for 6+ hours vs. getting in line an hour before the doors open and having side rail or being front and center but behind 2 people makes the choice a very easy one.  No camping or wasting all day for me.

Aren’t their GA sections fairly small, in other words back of the GA is still within 10-15 rows of the stage?
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    Lerx, relatively speaking, yes it's not a huge GA.  Obviously people pack it in tight in GA, so while I'd say that it's more like 25-30 'rows' of people deep, you may be right in that that probably equates to 10-15 actual rows back (if you had seats).  If you get there before the doors open, you should be able to get a great spot within 'guitar pic catching distance' (Mike flicked one right into my hand and I was back a bit), especially if you don't go in the middle.  As you can see in the picture from 2013 below, even the furthest spots back are pretty close.  That's why I just don't see the point of getting in line super early, especially for a San Diego show.

19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,523
    great pic thanks for sharing! I get why many want the rail. If I ever am lucky enough to win GA and the pit is that size, thinking the back with elbow room, ability to stretch me old muscles, may do the trick for me. It’s fairly small.