the choralflange and blender arrived

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
at the same time yesterday but i only got about 15 minutes with each due to a family event.

anyway, the choralflange is perfect for what i wanted which was just a touch of depth and shimmer. it has all sorts useless deep vibrato stuff that doesn't sound good but the straight chorusing is great. can get a decent rotary sound out of it too. didn't get to play with the flange much but it's definitely not that metallic boss flanger sound. the pedal's nice and quite and has the mix knob which makes it that much more useful than my CE-2s were.

the fender blender is just not my cup of tea at all. i can't get it to do what i wanted. if i were to change things, i'd make the "tone boost" permanent and make the second switch an octave on/off control. gated fuzz is very nice but i just don't think i can use this for my music as hoped because of the octave up. it's too balls out. same problem i had with the fuzz factory. i'm better off using a pitch shifter like a whammy or PS-5 for the glitchy filter sounds i was hoping for.

so i think the blender is going into the trade deal for my new jazz bass tonight.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    at the same time yesterday but i only got about 15 minutes with each due to a family event.

anyway, the choralflange is perfect for what i wanted which was just a touch of depth and shimmer. it has all sorts useless deep vibrato stuff that doesn't sound good but the straight chorusing is great. can get a decent rotary sound out of it too. didn't get to play with the flange much but it's definitely not that metallic boss flanger sound. the pedal's nice and quite and has the mix knob which makes it that much more useful than my CE-2s were.

the fender blender is just not my cup of tea at all. i can't get it to do what i wanted. if i were to change things, i'd make the "tone boost" permanent and make the second switch an octave on/off control. gated fuzz is very nice but i just don't think i can use this for my music as hoped because of the octave up. it's too balls out. same problem i had with the fuzz factory. i'm better off using a pitch shifter like a whammy or PS-5 for the glitchy filter sounds i was hoping for.

so i think the blender is going into the trade deal for my new jazz bass tonight.

check out mid fi effects. glitch computer should be right up your alley.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:

Sorry to hear about the Fender Blender. I just snagged one on eBay for $50 less than retail, can't wait to play around with it. Enjoy the new bass though.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    that's about the same as i paid for it too.

based on the conversions and what it retails for up here, i should be able to get all my money out of it.

the clone i had before had controls that behaved slightly differently and did what i wanted. oh well.
  • that's one of the things i was dissapointed with too was that you couldn't turn the Blender's octave on and off. It really limits its versatility.

i use it a lot without the tone boost though for more subtle effects.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    yeah, it could be so much more.

and i'm sure it could be modded. i thought about it but in the end couldn't be bothered. i'd probably just ruin it.

as it turns out, i got all my money out of it in my bass deal so it's all good.
    ran the choralflange in stereo last night finally. heaven.

though it can do it, i'm not 80s chorusing here. it just makes everything 3D for clean tones that i want to record in stereo.

i really find the useful range of settings pretty limited compared to their actually range though. like the delay time. it's only musical in about the lower 1/3 of the knob. after that it's gross vibrato.

still better than any other chorus i've tried though.
    so you did, or did not run through "cold shot" and police songs?

:D

sounds like fun. I bet the flange is fantastic too. ("nobodys fault but mine")

It will probably get close to that Lenny Kravitz "are you gonna go my way" flange with the right dirt box in front.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    it does a decent rotary but not great. i can't play cold shot. :( well, i sort of can play the riff.

i tend to play stupid little U2-like things with the chorus and delay now that i have two amps. but very transparent chorus. it just puts a bit of water in the signal and gives it depth.

haven't tried the flange with the distortion pro yet. i really hate flange but maybe i'll find something i like in a slow filter type of sound.

speaking of the police, i actually started playing along with the police hits album on bass for fun. i'm going to see if i can learn it all the way through. i love my new bass. light than my MIM jazz and about 100x more resonant.
    exhausted wrote:
    it does a decent rotary but not great. i can't play cold shot. :( well, i sort of can play the riff.

i tend to play stupid little U2-like things with the chorus and delay now that i have two amps. but very transparent chorus. it just puts a bit of water in the signal and gives it depth.

haven't tried the flange with the distortion pro yet. i really hate flange but maybe i'll find something i like in a slow filter type of sound.

speaking of the police, i actually started playing along with the police hits album on bass for fun. i'm going to see if i can learn it all the way through. i love my new bass. light than my MIM jazz and about 100x more resonant.

which was the new bass I forgot? Bass is fun. I play Ben Harpers "Alone" on mine for fun and I like to play the riff from Phish's "Down with Diesease. I just have a crappy red squire I used to play in jazz band. Pull out your wah too. It kicks ass.
    it's an american deluxe jazz bass. with the SCNs and 18V active preamp.

the metallic black with the gold guard and rosewood fretboard.

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194490764
    exhausted wrote:
    it's an american deluxe jazz bass. with the SCNs and 18V active preamp.

the metallic black with the gold guard and rosewood fretboard.

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194490764

nice noiseless with the 18V boost and the SCN's. really cool. I bet it sounds like heaven through the AVT model too.
    yeah, the ubiquitous SVT is really the only model i use in the bass POD. i haven't really experimented with effecting bass much yet but i probably should for fun.

if i ever had to play live with it and direct to PA wasn't enough, i think i'd just run the pod into a little keyboard wedge or something and be happy. nver going to happen though.
    exhausted wrote:
    yeah, the ubiquitous SVT is really the only model i use in the bass POD. i haven't really experimented with effecting bass much yet but i probably should for fun.

if i ever had to play live with it and direct to PA wasn't enough, i think i'd just run the pod into a little keyboard wedge or something and be happy. nver going to happen though.

yeah, whatever, just dangle the I'm a bass player too at a guitar shop and watch the offers come in.