Options

Pearl Jam, 'moody as fuck' according to Gen Z'er

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
I've worked with college students over the last 8 years and one of them recently told me their ex used to listen to Pearl Jam and that they are, in their words, 'moody as fuck'. This got me thinking, which Pearl Jam song fits that description in your opinion? 

Mine vote is Tremor Christ. Stomping beat, brooding A -> Ab main chords and matching story/lyrics to boot. Every time I hear it I think of stormy weather. 
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 872
    Blood. No explanation needed. 
  • Options
    KC2917 said:
    Blood. No explanation needed. 
    Big mood. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    edited March 2022
    From the thread title, I thought you were referring to the breadth and depth of the band's material, and how moods can swing wildly.  My wife calls it "angry music."  But there are many songs of euphoria, love, beauty,
    Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,022
    Hard to Imagine. Long Road. Indifference. Dead Man. 
  • Options
    ddeschler said:
    From the thread title, I thought you were referring to the breadth and depth of the band's material, and how moods can swing wildly.  My wife calls it "angry music."  But there are many songs of euphoria, love, beauty,
    Oh, I know that, but my Gen Z person clearly feels all PJ is moody! Haha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,541
    Inside Job. Lots of moods there.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,087
    Love, beauty and euphoria are moods too . not many bands can evoke tears and anger so quickly. Maybe even the same song. 
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Of course PJ music is 'moody', the whole Seattle music scene and so called 'grunge' was born out of mood.  Think dark, Seattle rain, coming out of 80's economic funk, Iraq war, heroin/drug epidemic, anti-baby boomer, angsty teenagers, rebellion, etc. etc. etc.  Black is moody, Release is moody, Once is moody......Alive, Rearviewmirror, Animal, Blood, Indifference, Not for You, Corduroy.  Their lyrical content got a little more varied and mature after that but they've always been moody, especially their early albums.  IMO that's not a negative though.  We all have moods and some of the more so called moody music can be cathartic, and that's one of the reasons why I got hooked on Pearl Jam.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,933
    Sleight of Hand is a whole mood (as the kids say)
  • Options
    lisalamblisalamb Posts: 65
    Footsteps
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    Writer's Block, you can just feel the mounting frustration in those key presses.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,793
    rats
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,004
    Nothing As It Seems

(I’m assuming the person you’re talking about got the same level of exposure to the catalog that, say, my wife gets. But when it comes to civilians who would use the word “moody” to describe PJ, the songs that lead to that impression would be Jeremy (esp. if the person in question is old enough to have seen the music video) and Black.)
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    Nothing As It Seems

(I’m assuming the person you’re talking about got the same level of exposure to the catalog that, say, my wife gets. But when it comes to civilians who would use the word “moody” to describe PJ, the songs that lead to that impression would be Jeremy (esp. if the person in question is old enough to have seen the music video) and Black.)
    When I met my wife 22 years ago, I looked through her Case Logic and inside was Ten, Vs, Live On 2 Legs and No Code. Needless to say, it was love. The person I'm referring to in this thread sounds like they got a pedestrian taste of PJ! Also, NAIS, mooooooody!!

angry mood GIF by CBBC
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Also, I looked inside her Case Logic, haha!

Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,562
    Also, I looked inside her Case Logic, haha!

Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office
    For some reason this never gets old. That's what she said as well.  :)
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,004
    tdawe said:
    Nothing As It Seems

When I met my wife 22 years ago, I looked through her Case Logic and inside was Ten, Vs, Live On 2 Legs and No Code. Needless to say, it was love. The person I'm referring to in this thread sounds like they got a pedestrian taste of PJ! Also, NAIS, mooooooody!!

angry mood GIF by CBBC
    She must be a wonderful lady for you to overlook the fact that she was missing Vitalogy, Yield and Binaural. 
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181

I looked through her Case Logic
    "What's a Case Logic?" - Gen-Z'er

• Options
    tdawe said:
    tdawe said:
    Nothing As It Seems

angry mood GIF by CBBC
    She must be a wonderful lady for you to overlook the fact that she was missing Vitalogy, Yield and Binaural. 
    Haha! Well, she knows em’ now! 
    www.cluthelee.com