post-purge board

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://brehell.ca/greg/pics/pedals.jpg

still not 100% on the memory lane. it has some hair in the repeats that i don't like. and not good analog hair, it's that hiss thing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    if you're looking for a great analog delay, and $$$ aren't a problem, you gotta go for the Fulltone Tube-Tape-Echo (his version of the Ecoplex).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's both beyond my willingness to spend and my ability to play. even the memory lane is too much $$$$ but at least it was used.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    What kind of pedal cables are you using? I've been looking at building a board, when cash permits as I'm sicking of plugging and unplugging every time I play. Thanks!
    power cables or signals cables?

the signal is george l's. i like them but lots of people hate them.

the power cables are just what came with the pedal power. they probably suck too. :o

i should really make proper soldered cables but i change my board too much.... out of boredom.... and avoidance of real playing.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    like it. how do you like the X blender?

Oh, and why not just go back to some kind of true digital delay or DL4? :D

I should probably try and OCD I want to see how similar it is to my old Keeley Rat that I had on Mighty Mouse.

I like George L's too, damn the torpedos, if I ever get saucy I'm probably going to get the Lava Cable ELC's. I just want the one silent plug.

Ultimately though, I don't play enough. I hate apartment dwelling. When I had a town house I played every day.

well ok, that was before the girlfriend and 2 jobs.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    like it. how do you like the X blender?

Oh, and why not just go back to some kind of true digital delay or DL4? :D

the x-blender is ok. does what i needed it to do with the echo park and verbzilla, which was reduce the hiss and the volume bump in the EP. it creates a very small amount of it's own hiss in blend mode but compared to most pedals, it's negligible. i like being able to EQ the loop and create interesting modulated delays with, say, the phaser etc. the only bummer is i'd need two for stereo but since i'm back down to one amp it's moot.

the tonecore pedals are unusable in front of an amp for a clean freak like me without this blender.

post-POD, they're great, and thus i'll keep them.

i almost bought another DL4 but hate the volume drop and the switch pop that it has. but it doesn't hiss. i generally like the models in the echo park better though.

there's one thing i'm going to try with the memory lane tonight and if that doesn't work to clean it up, it's going back i think.

digital emulation ruined me. line 6 delays have unique charms in spite of their flaws.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    well, there's always the DD20 to try?

I agree, the Volume loss thing I detest and I don't want to spend the ridiculous amount of money to fix it.. MY DL4 has been in the box for 2 months.

Seriously, I do love the digital emulation and the flexibility. The DL4 is one of the coolest pedals ever created, I just wish they would fix the volume drop.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • People slam about George L's left and right around here. I support them.

OCD, OCD, OCD, OCD
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • People slam about George L's left and right around here. I support them.

OCD, OCD, OCD, OCD

Speaking of OCD, after that D string thing was pissing me off I switched to my strat...fuckin, I never play my strat through the OCD, I don't know why, I usually play it through the BD-2 but I played it through the OCD...holy shit, gives a strat so much fuckin balls
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • exhausted wrote:

i almost bought another DL4 but hate the volume drop and the switch pop that it has. but it doesn't hiss. i generally like the models in the echo park better though.

there's one thing i'm going to try with the memory lane tonight and if that doesn't work to clean it up, it's going back i think.

digital emulation ruined me. line 6 delays have unique charms in spite of their flaws.

i've had some of the same hiss problems with my Memory Man.
    But only in certain combinations, settings.

Maybe try powering it seperately, definitely try it standalone first see if the trouble is still there.

yeah, it's almost a no win situation with delays. analog vs digital, neither is perfect for me. i'm going to go with a dd-6 and Memory man on my board and see if i can make it work, but there is definitely some trial and error involved.

lately i've been considering amps with loops, and then a higher priced rack delay unit (lexicon/tc electronic). not something i ve researched (or can afford at the moment, for that matter) but i'm pretty sure that's how i'd be happiest. Could go for those NickMcCabe/Verve tones.
    i worked with it quite a bit last night and came to the conclusion that, on extreme settings, it's going to be noisy. at the longest delay times etc. i found some good settings last night where the noise in the repeats is minimized. need to keep the mix setting low as well. it's not a power issue. the adapter they supply is terrible and hums like crazy. the pedal power outputs are the quietest thing i have.

so i think i'll keep it for now and use it for shorter, low repeat stuff and use the echo park for the really long delays, more repeats etc. it's got great character otherwise. modulated delay is probably my favourite effect.

i have a really quiet, low gain set up and make quiet, low gain music.... mostly. i'm one of those annoying bedroom guitarists but i'm really picky about noise on my recordings so hum and hiss always bug me.
  • Nothing wrong with low gain music, as long as its played LOUD!! :)

i make alot of what sounds like similar music to yours, bedroom strumming hush-hush quiet time music. Annoying maybe, but it's for yourself probably, not others. And that is more and more what i'm listening to also. But I sorta end up going the opposite way when i get with a band. it's nice if both options are available.

for instance ... listening to lots of ESmith, Joseph Arthur, NeilFinn, last PjHarvey album..... but yesterday had the headphones on, walking to work (car problems) and had in Verve - Northern Soul. BIG sound, that band was just drugged out and Going For IT, if ya know what i mean.

i just hijacked the s*** out of your thread, huh
  • Speaking of OCD, after that D string thing was pissing me off I switched to my strat...fuckin, I never play my strat through the OCD, I don't know why, I usually play it through the BD-2 but I played it through the OCD...holy shit, gives a strat so much fuckin balls

Makes a tele thru a '59 bassman sound like gold!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Nothing wrong with low gain music, as long as its played LOUD!! :)

i make alot of what sounds like similar music to yours, bedroom strumming hush-hush quiet time music. Annoying maybe, but it's for yourself probably, not others. And that is more and more what i'm listening to also. But I sorta end up going the opposite way when i get with a band. it's nice if both options are available.

for instance ... listening to lots of ESmith, Joseph Arthur, NeilFinn, last PjHarvey album..... but yesterday had the headphones on, walking to work (car problems) and had in Verve - Northern Soul. BIG sound, that band was just drugged out and Going For IT, if ya know what i mean.

i just hijacked the s*** out of your thread, huh

yeah, i listen to a lot of the same stuff and consider guys like elliott smith and neil finn etc. pretty strong influences. not that i sound that good.

but then i crank oasis etc. for my own listening pleasure a lot. but i don't make that type of music. well, maybe noel's b-sides.

when i played with other people, i used to play very loud. like a 40W deluxe *and* a 60W deville cranked loud. we made a drummer's hand bleed once. :D
  • exhausted wrote:
    when i played with other people, i used to play very loud. like a 40W deluxe *and* a 60W deville cranked loud. we made a drummer's hand bleed once. :D

well, if he was a drummer he probably deserved it.

yeah very similarily, it was a fun moment when i realized my 50w Hiwatt sounds best maxed out, a couple of years (and bands) back. i'm always sort of a volume on 4 kind of guy.

And that was a stereo setup actually, with the other amp being this insane 5ft tall Gibson. 8, count 'em, 8 eight inch speakers. couldnt have been more then 15 watts tho, inaudible next to the Hiwatt. Best clean/reverb/trem sound ever tho, that Radiohead "Let Down" chime thing.

weighed more then my bass player, so i traded for a vibrolux.