damn vibro-champs

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
can't even get one from 1982 for under 300 now. this sucks. i was sure i could pick that one up cheap.

i mean, the circuit never really changed so i don't much care about the year.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah tell me about it.

I guess I can forget about getting a real blackface.

Right now I'd be happy with a nice silverface princeton.

I was on the VC's now I'm kind of lusting after a princeton.

I found a great SF princeton last weekend.....FOR $700 bucks..... are you kidding me?

The Victorias and Clarks are starting to look sexier.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i wanted a little amp to run the echo out from my memory lane into. so it doesn't need to be a stellar amp. just for stereo spread when the delay is on.

so i'll just get a beat up pro jr. or something locally i guess for a couple hundred.

the DRRI is the only amp i actually like right now but i'm not buying another one of those for these purposes.
    exhausted wrote:
    i wanted a little amp to run the echo out from my memory lane into. so it doesn't need to be a stellar amp. just for stereo spread when the delay is on.

so i'll just get a beat up pro jr. or something locally i guess for a couple hundred.

the DRRI is the only amp i actually like right now but i'm not buying another one of those for these purposes.

oh well a little pro Jr would be perfect. Check out the little 8 or 10 watt Crate V's too if they have them. They are supposed to be nice.

Or you could wait till the wifey buys you a Epiphone
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I've seen it around here as well. VC's going for 400 euros or more. I think I paid 375 euro for mine from 1975 a good year ago.

Regular champs are still cheaper though, you can always go after one of those. Cause in my opinion, the tremelo isn't always a good extra.

Anyway, good news for me I guess if I would ever need to sell my Champ or Vibro-Champ.
    the one i was bidding on, 1982 but mint with tags, manual etc.

$365US.

good lord.
  • I like the old Gibson amps. You can pick them up for a pretty cheap price compared to the old Fenders and I like the tones on those old 40's and 50's amps.
    They were meant for Hawaiian guitar and for Jazz, but no one ever turned them up to 11 back then!

I have one of these,,,, (ok, well my brother hasn't given it back yet)
    The BR series was a great blues amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300043584414&rd=1&rd=1

(ummm, I'm not even sure I'm posting in the right thread,,, but I'll know soon!)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

check this one out:

http://muziek.2dehands.be/markt/muz_instr/elektrische-gitaar/17235001-gibson-br-3-versterker-1945.html?start=75

Ain't cheap though

• Nice!

My favorite Gibson was 50's Les Paul amp. They're at a premium these days, but a lot of the other ones go pretty cheap because they are just being discovered as collectable these days.

Exhausted: http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JUNIOR-GUITAR-AMP-1950S-TUBE-AMP_W0QQitemZ160046892699QQihZ006QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one I was trying to think of last night. The Les Paul Junior Skylark was essentially the same amp as the Champ. (Not Vibro Champ though.) They rock.
    Even the Ga-5 Skylark is a great little 4-5 watt amp that break up nicely.

Edit: Oh man, I love the smell of plugging these things in for the first time. Once the dust and old flies and carpet fibers burn off,,,, tonal bliss!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-s-Gibson-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ330043849330QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Be kind, man

My favorite Gibson was 50's Les Paul amp. They're at a premium these days, but a lot of the other ones go pretty cheap because they are just being discovered as collectable these days.

Exhausted: http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-LES-PAUL-JUNIOR-GUITAR-AMP-1950S-TUBE-AMP_W0QQitemZ160046892699QQihZ006QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the one I was trying to think of last night. The Les Paul Junior Skylark was essentially the same amp as the Champ. (Not Vibro Champ though.) They rock.
    Even the Ga-5 Skylark is a great little 4-5 watt amp that break up nicely.

Edit: Oh man, I love the smell of plugging these things in for the first time. Once the dust and old flies and carpet fibers burn off,,,, tonal bliss!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-s-Gibson-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ330043849330QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ha ha, you'll laugh, I have an album I found in my Grandma's basement from the 50's with that Les Paul amp and the 3 pickup Les Paul SG in the inner cover. It's Les Paul himself.
    peavey classic 20?
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    ha ha, you'll laugh, I have an album I found in my Grandma's basement from the 50's with that Les Paul amp and the 3 pickup Les Paul SG in the inner cover. It's Les Paul himself.

:D

My hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ZYVjKcRdI

If I wasn't laid up right now, I would have been in New York City today to
    1. Get visas at the Indian consulate because I'm going to India for 5 weeks starting Christmas day

2. Go see the Intrepid museum. (Aircraft carrier museum and it's awesome)
    Haha,, I just saw that they're towing it away today! So I would have missed that.

3. Go see Les Paul tonight at the Iridium for his weekly two gigs every Monday night at 90 years old! We were up earlier this year after he had pneumonia and was in the hospital. He got out and went to play like a week later!

Exhausted,,,, maybe you could use a Crate V8 Palomino.. They're like little 5 watt amps and pretty decent sound. My roadie friends have them all the time because Crate used to supply them for backstage warm up and tune up amps. They sound great for slide guitar, too.

I think I had a painkiller dream the other night that you bought all my amps for 1$ Canadian anyway. :D Problem solved!
    Be kind, man
    3. Go see Les Paul tonight at the Iridium for his weekly two gigs every Monday night at 90 years old! We were up earlier this year after he had pneumonia and was in the hospital. He got out and went to play like a week later!

I saw him a year ago and was amazed that the guy can still play. It is so worth checking out if you're ever in NYC on a Monday night.
    :D

My hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ZYVjKcRdI

If I wasn't laid up right now, I would have been in New York City today to
    1. Get visas at the Indian consulate because I'm going to India for 5 weeks starting Christmas day

2. Go see the Intrepid museum. (Aircraft carrier museum and it's awesome)
    Haha,, I just saw that they're towing it away today! So I would have missed that.

Exhausted,,,, maybe you could use a Crate V8 Palomino.. They're like little 5 watt amps and pretty decent sound. My roadie friends have them all the time because Crate used to supply them for backstage warm up and tune up amps. They sound great for slide guitar, too.

I think I had a painkiller dream the other night that you bought all my amps for 1$ Canadian anyway. :D Problem solved!

Yeah the Crate V8's are awesome. I'm going to be in NYC the week after Christmas, unfortunately not on monday :(

The Palomino is apparently just the name of the version with white tolex only available at GC. I think you can get them in black everywhere else. They are awesome. A guy in the house band of one of my favorite local blues haunts has a V8 Palomino. Great little amp. I've heard people like the 8's better than the 15's
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah the Crate V8's are awesome. I'm going to be in NYC the week after Christmas, unfortunately not on monday :(

The Palomino is apparently just the name of the version with white tolex only available at GC. I think you can get them in black everywhere else. They are awesome. A guy in the house band of one of my favorite local blues haunts has a V8 Palomino. Great little amp. I've heard people like the 8's better than the 15's

Oh man, I'll be out of town from Christmas to the end of January on another journey. Otherwise I'd come up and by ya a beer or two!
    Well, you might be able to find SOMETHING to do in the city. :D

The little v8's I remember were black. They break up a bit early being 5 watts, but as a stereo back up, it might be nice.

Here's one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Palomino-8-tube-guitar-amplifier-by-crate_W0QQitemZ330046279474QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no idea what they final price would be here, new they're about $280 I see.
    Be kind, man

The little v8's I remember were black. They break up a bit early being 5 watts, but as a stereo back up, it might be nice.

Here's one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Palomino-8-tube-guitar-amplifier-by-crate_W0QQitemZ330046279474QQihZ014QQcategoryZ38073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no idea what they final price would be here, new they're about $280 I see.

That's ok man I'll make it up some time after that too. My girlfriends family live in Fleetwood, about an hour and a half from Philly west so maybe next time I can come hang out and jam for a while. Have fun in India. Hey at least you can't get stuck in Timbucktoo this time:D
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    That's ok man I'll make it up some time after that too. My girlfriends family live in Fleetwood, about an hour and a half from Philly west so maybe next time I can come hang out and jam for a while. Have fun in India. Hey at least you can't get stuck in Timbucktoo this time:D

Fleetwood! Near Reading. About an hour and a half from me, too!

We can toast at the Northeast Taproom. It doesn't look like a place or part of town that would have stuff like Frank Zappa Hot Rats on the jukebox. Great place!

My nephew is getting married to his fiance in a Hindu wedding, and I guess I'm a big part of it. They are awesome people. Then I guess I'll wander about and try to stay out of trouble for another month! :)
    Be kind, man