Options

My Movie Poster Collection

riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
I see a few threads on here about movies from time to time, and also see the Pearl Jam poster thread on the main page. I thought I’d share some highlight of my film poster collection! These are original posters from when the films were released. I hope you enjoy! 

2001 A Space Odyssey Style C one sheet (1968)
Gone With The Wind Style DP one sheet (1939)
Gone With The Wind Style CF one sheet (1939) 
A Clockwork Orange one sheet (1971) 

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    riley540 said:
    I see a few threads on here about movies from time to time, and also see the Pearl Jam poster thread on the main page. I thought I’d share some highlight of my film poster collection! These are original posters from when the films were released. I hope you enjoy! 

Nice!  Those are in amazing condition!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Thanks! The 2001 and Clockwork are near mint and rolled. The Gone With The Wind posters have been professionally conserved. They were folded and had some minor wear prior to conservation. Before the 1980s pretty much all movie posters were sent to theaters folded in boxes as apposed to rolled. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,016
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Thanks! The 2001 and Clockwork are near mint and rolled. The Gone With The Wind posters have been professionally conserved. They were folded and had some minor wear prior to conservation. Before the 1980s pretty much all movie posters were sent to theaters folded in boxes as apposed to rolled. 
    So something that fascinated me about movie posters is the linen backing that is used to preserve them.  Imagine doing that to a concert poster?  The people would shit!

I've always wanted a Quiet Man poster.  Maybe one day.

Nice collection.
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

So something that fascinated me about movie posters is the linen backing that is used to preserve them.  Imagine doing that to a concert poster?  The people would shit!

I've always wanted a Quiet Man poster.  Maybe one day.

Nice collection.
    Movie posters were printed on crappy news paper type paper. Very thin and acidic. Linen backing is acid free and reversible and seems to be accepted by most major collectors. Concert posters are mostly printed on a thick paper stock and can withstand a lot more. That being said, half sheet movie posters and insert movie posters are on a thick stock. Conservators will paper back or gel back them instead of linen back them. You should get your Quiet Man poster! Movie posters are great house decorators! 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2022
    I think that 2001: A Space Odyssey poster made it move a little.

Really a thing of beauty.

My framer in Brooklyn had an old yellow poster for The Shining on display, and they floated it with matting that had the carpet pattern.

Edit: Found pics.

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640

• Options
    dankind said:
    I think that 2001: A Space Odyssey poster made it move a little.

Really a thing of beauty.

My framer in Brooklyn had an old yellow poster for The Shining on display, and they floated it with matting that had the carpet pattern.

Edit: Found pics.

That shining poster looks so cool with the carpet mat! I’ve always thought the poster itself was a bit weird… kind of jarring. It doesn’t really draw me into the movie at all. A strange face in the title text and super super yellow. Lol. 
  • Options

Here is one of my posters prior to conservation