the new mayer record

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
absolutely jaw-dropping guitar tones. incredible.

what a great record. the playing is totally clapton but the songs don't suck (referring to clapton's pop ventures here).

makes me wish i had the fingers to justify owning a two-rock.

also makes me want a pitch-shifter. i haven't heard cool pitch-shifted solos in a long time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    absolutely jaw-dropping guitar tones. incredible.

what a great record. the playing is totally clapton but the songs don't suck (referring to clapton's pop ventures here).

makes me wish i had the fingers to justify owning a two-rock.

also makes me want a pitch-shifter. i haven't heard cool pitch-shifted solos in a long time.

yeah, he "plays around" with a dumble ODS at home too and has a dumble rack unit. I generally detest pop, this kid is awesome. Good songwriter too.

I always liked his acoustic stuff better, maybe I'll give this one a listen.

One theory is having an amp that forces you to be cleaner (two rock, fuchs, matchless) helps your playing because it won't sound right if you're dirty.

I really want Dave Fox to tackle a pitch shifter, he did such a good job with the octron. Even though the Whammy is kind of abrasive, I've always been impressed by Morello. A single octave sweeping PS focusing on the non ridiculous high octaves might be really cool especially phased and layered with an octave or two down.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    this record is much less pop and much more soul and blues infused. you'll like it.

there's a picture in the notes of ones of his set ups. 2 or 3 dumble ODS's and a two-rock or two.

most of the tones are cleanish with a couple things cranked. cleaner generally than he was on the try! record.

apparently, fuchs is available up here now. just read that at tgp.

http://johnmayer.com/media/images/blog/blog9.10.1.1.jpg
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    this record is much less pop and much more soul and blues infused. you'll like it.

there's a picture in the notes of ones of his set ups. 2 or 3 dumble ODS's and a two-rock or two.

most of the tones are cleanish with a couple things cranked. cleaner generally than he was on the try! record.

apparently, fuchs is available up here now. just read that at tgp.

http://johnmayer.com/media/images/blog/blog9.10.1.1.jpg

so since we're scoring at home that's about 50 grand worth of small blues rig nice. I definately want to hear it. The guy is a huge SRV fan it seems.

Yeah. I do want to try the FUCHS ODS and see how it is. He's got a trainwreck design too.

I adore Two Rock, it's just too expensive for me.

basically Mayer is any of us, with a lot more skill and talent and a boatload of money.

He even builds his own pedals. I think maybe I should buy this one. I'm very interested in how it sounds.

now I think I have a crappy preamp tube. yeah, I think I need to just go ahead and buy a Pod 2.0 and one of thier USB recording dohickys
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    don't need a tone port if you've got the POD. it can do direct USB on it's own.
  • If you can get your hands on the "Any Given Thursday" DVD, check out the solo from the song "Covered In Rain"... jawdropping
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • i hope you are all females in you low to mid 20's.
    "It's all happening"
    i hope you are all females in you low to mid 20's.

we are if you want us to be.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I've been a fan and a big proponent of his for awhile now and I'm really digging the vibe on the new CD. I was hoping for something similar to Try, because I just thought that album and the Trio as a whole rocked, but this one is really good too. Its definitely been growing on me the more I listen to it. And he's amazing live. I saw him two weeks ago with Sheryl Crow, and will be at Webster Hall tonight in NYC to see him again. Can't wait.

If you want to check him out on TV, he's on Conan tonight and he'll be on Ellen on Friday.
    he's making another record as the trio shortly apparently.
    exhausted wrote:
    he's making another record as the trio shortly apparently.

I just read that too, from his site. Now thats cool. I saw them last year at a very small venue the day before Thanksgiving, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been. That kid can play.
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    Just listened to the stream and bought it at lunch. Good stuff. I like that he has Charlie Hunter (UNbelievable 8 string guitar player-check out his site-unreal). Also, interesting liner notes. I love "If you are reading this with an instrument in your lap- get to work. And deep in it. We all need you."

Ott
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare
  • moster78, i'll be there tonight too, maybe i'll wear something pearl jam. haha
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
    moster78, i'll be there tonight too, maybe i'll wear something pearl jam. haha

Cool deal. I just may have to do the same. If I do, I'll be the crazy tall dude in the PJ t-shirt.
    the solo on "in repair" is perfect. that is perfect tone.
    exhausted wrote:

Yeah, listening and seeing him live makes me want to bust out my Strat more, thats for sure. I also really dig the sound on "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room"
    i wish all my stuff wasn't packed up, that's for sure.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    moster78 wrote:
    Cool deal. I just may have to do the same. If I do, I'll be the crazy tall dude in the PJ t-shirt.

I'll say hello if I see you guys. Maybe I'll even wear my PJ Sweatshirt.

Pat
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Ott wrote:
    "If you are reading this with an instrument in your lap-get to work. And deep in it. We all need you."

That's cool.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Amazing show last night. The guy can play and its definitely at a level to strive to. Amazing tone too. He played a song off Try, that was a B-side to the new single, Good Love Is On The Way, and when he strummed that first chord and let it ring, there was a huge smile on my face.

He also broke away from the Strats a bit, and played an ES-335 and a doublecut Les Paul JR, in faded cherry though.

Get the new album, and see him on tour if you can. Well worth it.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Moster, were you wearing the blue avocado shirt?.....next to the guy in the old school Nirvana t-shirt? If so, I saw you from the balcony, I noticed you were definitely into the show.....I thought it was awesome too, one of the best I've seen actually.

Highlights for me were "Good Love is on the Way"....F'N AWESOME.....and "Slow Dancing".
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

chimpat wrote:
    Moster, were you wearing the blue avocado shirt?.....next to the guy in the old school Nirvana t-shirt? If so, I saw you from the balcony, I noticed you were definitely into the show.....I thought it was awesome too, one of the best I've seen actually.

Highlights for me were "Good Love is on the Way"....F'N AWESOME.....and "Slow Dancing".

Yup, that was me!

The closer, "In Repair" was awesome too... and the version of Gravity last night kicked ass.
  • exhausted wrote:

Mmmmm

Just downloaded it :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78 wrote:
    Yup, that was me!

The closer, "In Repair" was awesome too... and the version of Gravity last night kicked ass.

I just got back from Austin City Limits. Had to stand in 96 degree weather w/o food, water or a bathroom break for 6 hours to hold my spot at the rail on the David Ryan Harris/Dela side of the stage. Seeing and hearing the band up that close, especially on those two songs and an enormous crowd of people at our back was unbelievably mind blowing. One of my friends had gone to Webster, she swears the show there was even better. You must have had some night.

Oh, and Pearl Jam fans, way more fun to be in a huge crowd with, but that's a given.