Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings
The Magnolia Theater
El Cajon, CA
February 27, 2022
Show
Set list

Band Onstage: 09:07
Band Offstage: 11:36
Walk on music: On My Way-(from the album Earthling)

Earthlings
Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Guitars, Keys
Chris Chaney: Bass
Glen Hansard: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Josh Klinghoffer: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Chad Smith: Drums
Andrew Watt: Guitars, bg vocals

Opening: Glen Hansard
Revelate w/ Andrew Watt (bass) & Chad Smith

Earthlings Set List
01. Society-(Hannan) w/ Glen Hansard/Working Class Hero-(Lennon) {Ed sings the lyrics for a couple of lines then he and Glen improv some lyrics. lasts 56 seconds}
02. Drive-(Buck, Berry, Mills, Stipe)
03. Room At The Top-(Petty)
04. I’ll Be Waiting-(Vedder, Hansard)- (from the film sound track Flag Day) {Ed & Glen lead vocals}
05. Timeless Melody-(L.A. Mavers)
06. Invincible-(from the album Earthling)
07. The Dark-(from the album Earthling)
08. Long Way-(from the album Earthling
09. Brother The Cloud-(from the album Earthling)
10. The Haves-(from the album Earthling)
11. Wishlist
{Ed gets a phone from a person who had been taking pictures earlier.  He deletes a photo from her phone}
12. Good And Evil—(from the album Earthling) {live debut)
13. Fallout Today-(from the album Earthling)
{Ed introduces some of the people that worked on the album that are here tonight and brings onstage longtime monitor engineer Karrie Keyes (rhymes with eyes)}
14. Try-(from the album Earthling)
15. Chad-O
16. Mrs. Mills-(from the album Earthling)
17. I Got ID/Cinnamon Girl-(Young) (two lines. 38 seconds)
18. Lukin
19. Porch

Encore Break

20. The Waiting-(Petty)
21. Give Blood-(Townshend)
22. Dirty Frank
23. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
24. Rocking In The Free World-(Young)  w/ Anthony LoGerfo (Promise Of The Real) playing drums, Chad Smith plays guitar.

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    edited February 2022
    The picture deleting thing happened during Brother The Cloud. A girl was filming or taking pictures in front row and Ed gave her the 🖕🏼directly in the camera. 2 songs later he got her phone and asked for her passcode and said he was deleting it. 😂

Good and Evil made it’s debut with Ed telling a story about his brother giving a homeless lady $50 in downtown San Diego and she was so appreciative that she pulled an instrument out of her shopping cart and gave it to him. The instrument provided the first 4 notes of the song which Ed performed live. Now I’ve been to a many of shows over 30 years and I swear I’ve heard that same story ($50 and a guitar or something) before. Tell me I’m wrong? 😂😂 Maybe that lady is just housing a cache of obscure musical equipment in downtown SD waiting for Ed’s brother and $50 to swing by? Never let the truth get in the way of a great story though. 

Ed also brought Cheneys girlfriend up to sing Happy Birthday to her and thank her for letting him tour. Looked like a box of cupcakes as well. Ed grabbed one and fired a fastball that ricocheted off a fan in Row N, fairly good distance for a cupcake.

Pretty cool story about the building back in 1989 when Ed was in Bad Radio, he was scheduled to play for a benefit show or something, handed out flyers and close to the date, the show was canceled by the Director because Ed’s band was not worthy of playing a high class establishment like this. You could tell he wanted to come back and rock the building proper. Which he did.

Great opening set from Glen. 6 songs. Highlights were When Your Minds Made Up, Falling Slowly and Bird of Sorrow (dedicated to people of Ukraine)

Great night, last stop of the tour. Could tell the band really enjoyed playing together. Definitely different vibe than previous Ed solo tours. 

Post edited by teskeinc on
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,408
    Agree.... he really sounded sad that this was last of this band playing live (for now?  forever? ) but again.... who knows. 
    There was so much intensity in their playing tonight.... and for a band to have played every song from the album on a tour?.... cool. 
  • Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,956
    Apparently they went into Rose of Jericho after Chad-O? I saw it on Jill Vedder's feed before she cut it. Can anyone confirm?
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,956
    teskeinc said:
    The picture deleting thing happened during Brother The Cloud. A girl was filming or taking pictures in front row and Ed gave her the 🖕🏼directly in the camera. 2 songs later he got her phone and asked for her passcode and said he was deleting it. 😂

Pretty cool story about the building back in 1989 when Ed was in Bad Radio, he was scheduled to play for a benefit show or something, handed out flyers and close to the date, the show was canceled by the Director because Ed’s band was not worthy of playing a high class establishment like this. You could tell he wanted to come back and rock the building proper. Which he did.

Great opening set from Glen. 6 songs. Highlights were When Your Minds Made Up, Falling Slowly and Bird of Sorrow (dedicated to people of Ukraine)

Great night, last stop of the tour. Could tell the band really enjoyed playing together. Definitely different vibe than previous Ed solo tours. 

Love this, but especially the first bit lol
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

• Options
    Go Animal said:
    Apparently they went into Rose of Jericho after Chad-O? I saw it on Jill Vedder's feed before she cut it. Can anyone confirm?
    Yes, that’s correct. It should be on the setlist above. 

Another great show. It’s hard to compare large festival shows with theater shows but having seen all 4 Pearl Jam shows in 2021, what Eddie has pulled off here is rather remarkable. These shows were fantastic and in many ways even more enjoyable for me than the band shows. I hope this is something he continues to do in the future. 

Amazing vibe the whole night. 
  • Options
    MRSDMRSD Posts: 12
    The energy was great. Chad Smith. Wow, I have never seen him live. Loved the drum solo and he must have tossed 20 drum sticks into the crowd throughout the night.  You can tell these guys love to play together. I brought a first timer to PJ/EV gig and he was blown away. I feel like Ed always gives a little extra in San Diego, especially when his mom and brothers are in the house.  Did I hear two Led Zeppelin snippets. Dazed and Confused and coming out of the drum solo? 
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    He also said from the stage last night that he wants to record more with those guys “if they’d be open to it” or something like that.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    edited February 2022
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Go Animal said:
    Yes, that’s correct. It should be on the setlist above. 

Another great show. It’s hard to compare large festival shows with theater shows but having seen all 4 Pearl Jam shows in 2021, what Eddie has pulled off here is rather remarkable. These shows were fantastic and in many ways even more enjoyable for me than the band shows. I hope this is something he continues to do in the future. 

Amazing vibe the whole night. 
    Happy Birthday should also be added right before The Waiting. 

I fully agree with you on the Earthlings shows being more enjoyable in some ways than Pearl Jam shows. I attended 4 Of last year’s Ohana shows and the last 4 Earthlings shows this month, and felt that way last year at Ohana. Pearl Jam has the great catalog and new Gigaton songs, but there is a freshness in these Earthlings shows that isn’t there with Pearl Jam. I think Eddie is more inspired right now by this new band. I think it’s telling that Pearl Jam struggled for years making Gigaton, yet in visiting Andrew Watt in the studio, he quickly ended up with an unplanned album of good material.

Watt is highly in demand being the current Grammy winning Producer of the Year, but I sense he would happily put producing on hold to tour more. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Earthlings return at this year’s Ohana and maybe they can squeeze in more tour dayes next year.
    Post edited by KL159781 on
  • Options
    The freshness issue is a big one. Pearl Jam continues to play amazing shows but they're generally rooted in the same sound from tour to tour. Ed needs to look no further than his buddy Bruce to see how doing a variety of things helps keep the Band experience fresh. And of course, same thing with Neil. The Earthlings tour was definitely a blast of fresh air and hopefully some of that will carry over with Ed now to the Pearl Jam shows. 
  • Options
    KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    Luckytwn1 said:
    The freshness issue is a big one. Pearl Jam continues to play amazing shows but they're generally rooted in the same sound from tour to tour. Ed needs to look no further than his buddy Bruce to see how doing a variety of things helps keep the Band experience fresh. And of course, same thing with Neil. The Earthlings tour was definitely a blast of fresh air and hopefully some of that will carry over with Ed now to the Pearl Jam shows. 
    Another of his buddies, Neil Finn, also switches  it up like Bruce and Neil Young.

I have to say I appreciate reading your incites on Backstreets, as well as on your podcast episodes that I’ve heard. I’ve always assumed with your name here and on Backstreets that you appreciate those 1992 albums. Unlike many, I liked the majority of songs Bruce put out in 92 and really enjoyed the 3 LA Sports Arena shows on that tour.

As far as Eddie with Earthling, I initially questioned why he was doing this solo album. His previous ones were obvious departures from what he could do in Pearl Jam, but I wondered why he was recording a full band album outside PJ. From his interviews, I now realize this was a spontaneous creation. I had wondered if he was going through writers block leading up to Gigaton with only a handful of new songs in 2014-2019, so it was good to see that with the right spark, he could create quickly. 
  • Options
    MissMay82MissMay82 Posts: 10
    I drove to El Cajon from Las Vegas for this show. Two times.   First for the postponed show, (thru the worst 10 mph traffic, fog, rain and wind - yea El Cajon pass!).  Second on Sunday.  I spent over $1000 and had to drive for over 24 hours in total and it was worth every fucking penny!  

I was at Ohana Fest (flew in on lovely small almost private plane carrier) and had a “VIP” ticket that didn’t allow me to see the band play, and it was one of my “bucket list” items.  My only PJ show.  I love PJ and have since 90’s but never was able to attend before.  Fun by not mind blowing.  

This show in El Cajon was everything I want
    to see in a show. I could see them, (only if I stood which is difficult as I am an elderly, overweight arthritic woman, but even though I sat thru 1/2 the show and COULDNT SEE I was blown away by the musicianship on display.  Glenn H. was a revelation.  Chad Smith (lost my mind during his drum solo) Andrew Watt (loved his suit) & (I’m sorry I don’t recall) the bassist (excellent job dude) were all amazing.  But I was truly entranced by watching Josh K on stage.  Mesmerizing!  And this from someone who thinks That EV is hotter than fire. What a show!  Thanks to all who had a role in the making of the album and the tour!  Loved it! Out of the 300-400 concert I’ve seen in my 60 years, I’d put it in the top 10.
  • Options
    WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 533
    Right on! Miss May!
  • Options
    MRSDMRSD Posts: 12
    Go Animal said:
    teskeinc said:

So I talked to a buddy this morning from Texas.  We haven't spoken in months.  The concert comes up and I tell him how amazing it was.  He says his friend went and got a picture with Ed. I tell him the picture deletion story. He texts me back an hour ago with the picture Ed took from stage with his friend. It was her, front row. Crazy. PS -  She said he didn't delete any photos. I am trying to get the one where he flipped her off for my screen saver.
  • Options
    MRSD said:
    Go Animal said:
    teskeinc said:

So I talked to a buddy this morning from Texas.  We haven't spoken in months.  The concert comes up and I tell him how amazing it was.  He says his friend went and got a picture with Ed. I tell him the picture deletion story. He texts me back an hour ago with the picture Ed took from stage with his friend. It was her, front row. Crazy. PS -  She said he didn't delete any photos. I am trying to get the one where he flipped her off for my screen saver.
    This is great. I saw the whole thing. And just laughed. Been trying to find any video of it since the show but no luck so far. 🤣
    here for the music...
  • Options
    AZDAZD AZ Posts: 32
    I want to add something that may not be popular. Andrew Watt is certainly highly talented, but his energy did not fit with the band or the show - or the headliner himself. His stage presence was a negative for me. Maybe it's a function of his youthful energy, maybe it's a function of this being more of a super-group and not playing together much, but I felt Watt just didn't "fit in" with the other guys, nor did he defer to Eddie's energy. Josh, Glen, Chad and Chris all supported Ed ... to me Watt put himself more forward, and it hurt the show.  My view of the album does not parallel that of this show. Watt did a brilliant job w/ the album which features Ed being supported by talented musicians.

And I can't wait to see Josh play w/ PJ (missed Ohana), he's fantastic.
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    dschifrin said:
    I want to add something that may not be popular. Andrew Watt is certainly highly talented, but his energy did not fit with the band or the show - or the headliner himself. His stage presence was a negative for me. Maybe it's a function of his youthful energy, maybe it's a function of this being more of a super-group and not playing together much, but I felt Watt just didn't "fit in" with the other guys, nor did he defer to Eddie's energy. Josh, Glen, Chad and Chris all supported Ed ... to me Watt put himself more forward, and it hurt the show.  My view of the album does not parallel that of this show. Watt did a brilliant job w/ the album which features Ed being supported by talented musicians.

I somewhat felt this way about Watt at Ohana, but I came to appreciate his playing after seeing him in L.A. and San Diego. His solos on Porch, for example, demonstrated he is well-versed in the PJ live experience and the style of Mr. McCready, but were played with his own spin/originality. I think Ed did a great job letting the other musicians be themselves and encouraging them to showcase the unique talents each brought to the group.
  • Options
    edocon said:
    dschifrin said:

I somewhat felt this way about Watt at Ohana, but I came to appreciate his playing after seeing him in L.A. and San Diego. His solos on Porch, for example, demonstrated he is well-versed in the PJ live experience and the style of Mr. McCready, but were played with his own spin/originality. I think Ed did a great job letting the other musicians be themselves and encouraging them to showcase the unique talents each brought to the group.
    I totally agree on his talent and familiarity w/ PJ live.  Ed does a great job of "passing the spotlight" to Mike. Mike doesn't really distract the spotlight from  being on Ed. That's what I felt like w/ Watt.  I hear you though. Ed does a great job of letting the other artists shine... I just wish Watt had waited for Ed to do that rather than constantly seek it ok.  
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Sorry I messed up trying to quote and can’t figure it out.  

Post edited by MissMay82 on
  • Options
    I couldn’t take my eyes off Josh. 
  • Options
    kthygerskthygers SEA/SAN Posts: 4
    Anyone else pick up COVID at this show? Two of our party of four started feeling it a couple days after and tested positive so we took a 10 day isolation vacation. Just wondering if there were a lot of people who got it at the show or if the outbreak was limited to one area of the venue. Guess I should have used the EV mask they were handing out.
    93 - Seattle
  • Options
    Not us. Where were you sitting?
  • Options
    brobertbrobert Posts: 62
    No one in our party of four got it
  • Options
    I got a Notification on my phone that someone tested positive near me (the only place it could have been) but I wore a mask and am fully vaxxed and boosted.  Hell of a show!