the poor man's effect loop

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i got this idea off the gear page. i don't know why i never thought of it. stupid me.

my board now.
http://brehell.ca/greg/pics/board.jpg

runs though
volume -> comp -> phase -> boost -> OCD

into input 1 of my fender's vibrato channel.

then, connecting input 2 of the vibrato channel into

-stereo chorus -> stereo delay -> stereo reverb

LEFT: into input 1 of the normal channel on the fender
RIGHT: into the orange (through an isolater to kill ground loop hum)
http://brehell.ca/greg/pics/amps.jpg

it's like a parallel effects loop but in stereo.... with no actual effects loop... without racks, without little blend boxes out in front etc. i can't believe i never though of this.

effectively, the volume of the fender normal channel and the volume of the orange control the "wet" side of the chorus/delay/verb effects.

advantages:
-my main signal goes through less pedals and no digital pedals.
-the hiss from my digital pedals is virtually eliminated because they're now very low volume. they're no longer being amped at full volume with a hot signal going through them.
i can record in stereo at much lower volumes. before, both amps were running at equal volume, which was kinda loud. now only one amp runs loud.
-i can turn my main signal right off at the amp and play with only the wet, low volume signals. beautiful ambient stuff.
-overall quieter (hiss) signal path.

no "out of phase" as long as the volume of the main channel is higher, or lower, than the verb channels.

if i want to use my pod, i just patch it between the OCD and the chorus and go direct from the verb for silent recording.

if i want to rock my orange but with stereo verbs etc. i can just patch those three pedals through my mixer.

i love this. i'm so happy with this setup.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    exhausted wrote:
    i got this idea off the gear page. i don't know why i never thought of it. stupid me.

my board now.

runs though

it's like a parallel effects loop but in stereo.... without racks, without little blend boxes out in front etc. i can't believe i never though of this.

effectively, the volume of the fender normal channel and the volume of the orange control the "wet" side of the chorus/delay/verb effects.

advantages:
    -the hiss from my digital pedals is virtually eliminated because they're now very low volume. they're no longer being amps by a hot main signal.
    i can record in stereo at much lower volumes. before, both amps were running at equal volume, which was kinda loud. now only one amp runs loud.
    -i can turn my main signal right off at the amp and play with only the wet, low volume signals. beautiful ambient stuff.

no "out of phase" as long as the volume of the main channel is higher, or lower, than the verb channels.

if i want to use my pod, i just patch it between the OCD and the chorus and go direct from the verb for silent recording.

if i want to rock my orange but with stereo verbs etc. i can just patch those three pedals through my mixer.

No wonder you are exhausted :D

I wish I understood more of what you said, I am going to have to figure this out. I am in the process of building my first board. Have a MIXR Phaser 90, and Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9DX, BD-2. Working on the rest of it over the next few weeks/months. I have two combo solid state amps (wish they were tube) and one old Fender tube amp. Maybe your suggestion could be applied.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    stereo effects are a helluva drug.

i honestly don't get a lot of time to play right now with my new baby etc. so i distract myself further by tweaking my set up. it's a bad habit. but a lot of fun too.

it's interesting to dive further into how things work though i should spend more time just practicing.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    wow, awesome. I wish I could do that too that too.

Get a new amp (to run stereo) and purchase an mbox and learn protools.

your mini mass is the newer version than mine too. I want to get a new micro with the tone controls.

Oh well, I did manage to record a record to CD last night that my dad wanted for his birthday and cool edit is just kind of easier for the radio stuff I've been doing. I just know, learning and becoming proficient at protools is a good good move.

I want a deluxe reverb with a 2x10 or 3x10 cabinet. Sigh.

Oh, when changing preamp tubes in the Orange if you get the EH's, thier pins are larger than they should be, make sure you get it seated well, it feels like it's in there, but it's not. PS: The new Tung Sols are excellent.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    what would be ideal would be two pro jrs or epi valve jrs. on either side of the deluxe reverb to handle the wets. that would sound brilliant.
    exhausted wrote:
    what would be ideal would be two pro jrs or epi valve jrs. on either side of the deluxe reverb to handle the wets. that would sound brilliant.

yeah, and a roadie to set it up each night....:D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    hey, two valve jrs. would be the same weight as the orange. :D
    exhausted wrote:
    hey, two valve jrs. would be the same weight as the orange. :D

True, true. but what about the 24 4x12 cabinets?
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    where's my echoplex?
  • exhausted wrote:

my board now.

runs though

it's like a parallel effects loop but in stereo.... with no actual effects loop... without racks, without little blend boxes out in front etc. i can't believe i never though of this.

advantages:
    -the hiss from my digital pedals is virtually eliminated because they're now very low volume. they're no longer being amped at full volume with a hot signal going through them.

Man you have an OCD, aren't all those other pedals just decoration?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'm still trying to comprehend how all that works.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    I gotta ask.....

What is in the top left corner (on top of the Fender) ???
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
    I gotta ask.....

What is in the top left corner (on top of the Fender) ???

which, the tin of picks? or the minimass?
    https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm
    exhausted wrote:
    which, the tin of picks?

Ahhh pics.......

I thought it kinda looked like domes at first :eek::eek:

Hehehehe

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ahhh pics.......

Hehehehe

After looking at it I agree.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Ahhh pics.......

Hehehehe

now consider that i had to look up what domes meant in that context. :o

haha.
  • silverflowsilverflow Posts: 37
    I have no idea what the hell all that crap is, but none the less i'm jealous =P
    exhausted wrote:
    now consider that i had to look up what domes meant in that context. :o

haha.

:D:D

At least you're being safe about playing ;)

.NJD.