electronic drums

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.music123.com/Alesis-DM5-Electronic-Drum-Kit-i390851.music

looking for a little set to teach myself the drums. this looked appealing. not a huge investment and probably good enough for little home recordings etc.

i generally like alesis stuff.

i want silent drums so i can play whenever i want and not disturb the family. i do pretty much everything else direct so why not.

i think i'm going to rent a set for a couple months and see if i can get the hang of it. i've never tried before.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sounds like fun, I'm interested too, since it seems like I'll never find a band.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i know i never will because i never really try. i've lost too much proficiency at this point anyway.

this would just be for fun and to expand my hobby further. i've never had the opportunity to try drums.

i'm sure the pads suck etc. but considering the DM5 costs $400 on it's own, this seems like a pretty good deal.
  • I'm also toying with the idea of buying an electric set. Expensive though that one seems like a good deal.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    My son has a cheap set of electronic drums for use at home. In general they are good. Some down sides of his set are the drum pad and cymbals switches are basically on/off and volume sensitive only. The crash cymbal does not deaden if you grab it, the hi-hat doesn't respond to a partial closure (it is either open or it is closed). The snare will never rattle like you want it to. The bass pedal will suck.

He runs it through a small 35 watt pa amp for jamming with friends. My son says one advantage of electronic drums is you end up kicking ass on acoustic drums because they are so much funner to play. He says he finds the switch pumps him up and he just tries to kick the shit out them.

Make the purchase. They are fun to fuck around on and will really make you think in new ways when composing.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Very true. My girlfriend plays drums on an electronic Roland set at home and she uses an acoustic one at her lessons. She says he feels "held back" at home cause she can't make it sound exactly like she wants it to. For your purposes though, it will probably be a lot easier to learn (and probably record?) using your electronic set.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    well, yeah, recording is another thing because it would involve a whole bunch more gear to properly record an acoustic drum kit.

plus, my mbox is 2 input so, even though i have a mixer, i could only record a drum take on the fly anyway and not really properly split out the tracks to properly mix.

so, practicality wise, the e drums are probably more useful for me. i still can't properly split out to mix but at least i'd have more volume control initially.

i figured the cymbal pads especially would be limiting but i guess, if i took a liking to it and bought a kit, i could eventually upgrade bits and pieces. get cymbals that you can choke etc.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    exhausted wrote:
    well, yeah, recording is another thing because it would involve a whole bunch more gear to properly record an acoustic drum kit.

plus, my mbox is 2 input so, even though i have a mixer, i could only record a drum take on the fly anyway and not really properly split out the tracks to properly mix.

so, practicality wise, the e drums are probably more useful for me. i still can't properly split out to mix but at least i'd have more volume control initially.

i figured the cymbal pads especially would be limiting but i guess, if i took a liking to it and bought a kit, i could eventually upgrade bits and pieces. get cymbals that you can choke etc.
    you could just buy the elcetric kit and buy some cheap(real) cymbols for it, thats what my friend did
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • My step-dad has this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-DTXPRESS-III-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=444624

It's pretty sweet...hes nasty at drums too
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • My drummer has a electric set that he use's at home (doesn't annoy the wife and kids). So we just do head phone practices over at his house, with pods and head phones. But we can practice into the wee hours and nobody even knows (besides the voices they hear!)
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • You may have just answered my prayers. I've been trying to find a convenient way to jam with some friends down here at college. We live in apartments so there isn't enough space for my set, and I'm sure neighbors would hate it. I can't believe i never thought to pick up an electronic set before.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Buy real drums. I play them, if you like music, you won't regret it.
    Electric set..umm...ok...but they are like cofein-free coffe ..stripped of their essence...
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

Stereotype wrote:
    Buy real drums. I play them, if you like music, you won't regret it.
    Electric set..umm...ok...but they are like cofein-free coffe ..stripped of their essence...

doesn't work for my family situation. i barely get to turn on my guitar amps.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Step Two: Soundproofing your basement.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Stereotype wrote:
    Buy real drums. I play them, if you like music, you won't regret it.

Obviously Acoustic drums are better, but a lot of times electric sets are more convient.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • In music convenient does not really count. :P
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

yeah, but in real life it does.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I host the headphone studio for my jam band -- but never pulled the trigger on e-drums yet. We do most of our Cubase mixing and mastering and guitar/keyboard overdubs at my house.

I've been using midi software instruments for drums on my own. Using a keyboard to play drums. But I've been eyeing e-Drums for a long time -- cheapest I seen so far, that 2nd link.

Anyone have any experience with the new iDrums from Apple? I'm comfortable doin scratch work with simple drum machines, then dropping that track and overdubbing the real drums at my mates house on his 24-piece double bass kit that takes up 2/3 of our jam room!

He insists he'll only go Roland high-end e-Drums....
    [sic] happens