Poster Framing - Linen Hinging Tape (so ticked off)

bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
edited February 2022 in Lost Dogs
So I just realized that after removing one of my posters from a frame that the frame shop used a linen tape to keep the print in place in two places at the top of the print (on the back of the poster).  Shame on me for only confirming they would not dry mount the poster.  I didn't know enough.  I'm so pissed off.  These PJ posters have art on the back too.  You can't peel the tape off without taking some of the paper with it or leaving residue.   I'm just sick to my stomach.  Paid $250+ to get these framed.  These are some of the posters:

1998 - Chicago
2011 - Edmonton
2013 - Portland, Pittsburgh, Cracker Jack 

At the end of the day I'm not looking to sell them. And if they stay framed you'll never know.  This probably will take the value down at least 30% though I would think.  My 2013 Pitt and Portland are the ones out of the frame and I've jacked up a little trying to get the tape off.  Oh well.  First world problems.

Lesson to folks out there:  Ask questions before letting someone frame your work.  

Question:  Anyone have any ideas on whether this is fixable?  I was able to use a Q-tip and dampen the tape to get the tape off but that leaves the sticky tape residue. 

EDIT:  So I found a restoration service in town.  Will give them a shot. Too bad I was impatient on the Pitt and Portland.
Post edited by bootlegger10 on

Comments

• sucks dude, sorry to hear.  I had Michaels do that to a few of mine back in the day and it pissed me off come time to trade/sell.  No idea they were going to do that.  I think it’s pretty common for these places to do it sadly, and no one realizes until 10 years after the fact when they go to sell it.  Makes it easier for them to frame I’m sure.

Can’t offer any help on what to do about the tape, but you’re right about asking questions and making sure they know what you want.   Also, if you just use a framing service like arttoframes and do it yourself (for less $$ too) you’ll know there’s no tape :smiley:

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    edited February 2022
    Took it to an art restoring.  Says it will be $50 per tape to get them off.  Two tape per poster.  Says good chance can fix the parts where the tape took some of the paper so you can barely notice it unless looking for it.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    On the bright side it was probably acid free tape.  Glad you could get it off.  Big box frame shops are total hacks.  Custom shops are great as long as you tell the exactly what you want to avoid.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,958
    I’ve had success removing tape with a hair dryer. Carefully allow the heat from the hair dryer to warm the tape so that the adhesive reactivates and very slowly peel the tape.  Don’t tug the tape too hard - if it’s not moving pretty easily it needs some more heat.  But be careful not to put too much heat on the poster. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

hrd2imgn said:
    On the bright side it was probably acid free tape.  Glad you could get it off.  Big box frame shops are total hacks.  Custom shops are great as long as you tell the exactly what you want to avoid.
    Yeah, I thought going to a place that specialized only in framing would do better, but I guess using tape is pretty normal.  
    on2legs said:
    I’ve had success removing tape with a hair dryer. Carefully allow the heat from the hair dryer to warm the tape so that the adhesive reactivates and very slowly peel the tape.  Don’t tug the tape too hard - if it’s not moving pretty easily it needs some more heat.  But be careful not to put too much heat on the poster. 
    Thanks.  We'll see how this restoration goes.  It is just frustrating that I've always been very careful about storing in acid free mylar sleeves, with acid free backing board and used Mylar corners to keep the poster on the backing board while in storage.  Stored those in an acid free box. Ugh...
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    I've been so disappointed by framers. Michaels drymounted prints when I had insisted no drymounting.... found out years later. They also apparently altered one print when it didn't fit the poorly measured frame. It appears that someone took a hobby knife, and carved notches into the poster's border. 

Another framer, supposedly using conservation materials, damaged prints by using mats that were not acid free. 

Be careful who you use! I finally found a place that did solid conservation work, but unfortunately they closed permanently around the pandemic.