Pearl Jam Should Cover Sabbath's "Supernaut"

Is it just me or does anyone else think PJ would kill this song? I know they dabble in the War Pigs riff at the end of certain songs but the guys need to break out a Sabbath cover, and this one would be great to hear on the 2022 tour...can't ever hurt to break out a new cover!
Milwaukee 2014
MSG 2016 1&2
Wrigley 2016 1&2
Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
London 2018 1
Wrigley 2018 1&2
St. Louis 2020

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,992
    Man. Would love to hear Jeff kill any sabbath song. The whole band all sabbath covers, for me and you. Enough of the fluffy stuff.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    NIN did about 20 years ago...Trent fucking killed it with his screaming voice. I like it better than Sabbath's
    Must be good. ^^^. 10000 Homo DJs did it too. I don't know if Trent was involved with that. Al j from ministry was. Industrialized version. Great stuff. Golden oldies now. WTF happened to the last 30 years.
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 755
    The 10,000 Homo DJs version is fantastic 
    With Boom they can do stuff off Sabotage. I could imagine them playing an obscure sabbath song and 98% of the fans being furious. 
  • As long as they don’t cover Paranoid, I would lose it if they covered Sabbath. I didn’t really start listening to them until 2 years ago (I know, I know), but those first 6 albums blew me away unlike any other band. If PJ ever closed a show with Fairies Wear Boots, I would c*m. I think the best song for PJ to cover is Wasp/NIB…Jeff and Mike would murder it.

Side Sabbath note: Bill Ward and Geezer might be the greatest duo of all time.

Favorite Sabbath Songs:
    Sleeping Village/A Bit of Finger
    Megalomania
    Killing Yourself to Live
    Lord of this World
    Wheels of Confusion
    Snowblind
    Hand of Doom
    Sabbra Cadabra 

2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    edited February 2022
    Yes^paranoid, iron man, war pigs have there place in history. Those other obscure songs continue to mellllt my brainnnnn. 
    Heard Jeff played sweet leaf with dinosaur Jr guy. would like to hear him play that.
    Black Sabbath st on a rainy cold day. Shivers!
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • mschostokmschostok Posts: 858
    edited February 2022
    As long as they don’t cover Paranoid, I would lose it if they covered Sabbath. I didn’t really start listening to them until 2 years ago (I know, I know), but those first 6 albums blew me away unlike any other band. If PJ ever closed a show with Fairies Wear Boots, I would c*m. I think the best song for PJ to cover is Wasp/NIB…Jeff and Mike would murder it.

Side Sabbath note: Bill Ward and Geezer might be the greatest duo of all time.

Favorite Sabbath Songs:
    Sleeping Village/A Bit of Finger
    Megalomania
    Killing Yourself to Live
    Lord of this World
    Wheels of Confusion
    Snowblind
    Hand of Doom
    Sabbra Cadabra 

Some really good ones here. Lord of this World is one of my favorite songs of all time but I think a lot of Master of Reality would be a little too “sludgy” for PJ right? I can’t imagine them playing Into the Void or something like that, even though it’s one of my fav albums ever.

Something more upbeat (see Supernaut) is more likely for them? The Wizard would be good too with Ed on the harmonica.

Regardless, they need to break out Sabbath on this tour!  
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
    Never gonna happen, but fun to think about. Maybe a Mike extended riff off.
  • Spiral Architect 
  • I would take anything over any of the covers they've been playing for years. I'd honestly rather hear "Baby Shark" over "Baba O' Riley" again.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
    Baby shark slow version.
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    I would take anything over any of the covers they've been playing for years. I'd honestly rather hear "Baby Shark" over "Baba O' Riley" again.
    I kinda wish they'd play no covers due to such an extended catalogue. Never gonna happen though but nor should it if they love what they play-as a spectacle an inspired Love Reign beats a lacklustre Wishlist (or insert whatever songs you want except Arms Aloft and Dirty Water-yes I was at Fenway so shoot me).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,256
    ST66483 said:
    The 10,000 Homo DJs version is fantastic 

Hell yeah it is. 
    I would love for PJ to cover just their own music in concert too.  Nice to pay homage, but 4 or 5 covers instead of your own stuff not my fav.  I do like their covers, but if I wanted to hear them I would go to their show not Pearl Jams
  • hrd2imgn said:
    I would love for PJ to cover just their own music in concert too.  Nice to pay homage, but 4 or 5 covers instead of your own stuff not my fav.  I do like their covers, but if I wanted to hear them I would go to their show not Pearl Jams
    Totally agree. I think as they've gotten older they like playing homage to their heroes (which I'm cool with, if I were them I'd do the same thing). So with the assumption that they're always going to play covers, why not put some Sabbath in there? We know Matt, Jeff, Stone and Mike all love them, I honestly don't know if Ed has ever been a big Sabbath guy. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
     'What's a rock show without a little satan'
    well listened to the Homo mix it is the same version I was talking about.  I have had this version for probably 25 plus years, no clue where it was sourced as it was a Silver NIN bootleg extra.  So sorry for the anti-climactic post, but The 10,000 Homo DJs version is fantastic