against my better judgement

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
some yoootoobage.

:rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5s4S1SrfE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYuAEbakCSU

ok, these are shit but i was seeing if it would work. now that i know it does, i have to record some better performances.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Shit nothing, that sounded great, seriously. The only thing wrong with it was the quality of the video camera.

How long have you been playing for? I have yet to write a complete song myself, and I've been playing for a little over a year.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    thank you.

it's just an old webcam but i dropped the frame rate so it's choppy.

i've been playing for 11.5 years but sort of plateau'ed skillwise about 5 years ago. writing for 6 years or so on and off.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    They both work, but I liked "the same" in particular.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    the same is the best thing I ever heard you do. I think it actually moved me - and that's not easy, trust me.

And at the risk of sounding very gay: nice haircut, suits you well.
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    exhausted wrote:
    thank you.

it's just an old webcam but i dropped the frame rate so it's choppy.

i've been playing for 11.5 years but sort of plateau'ed skillwise about 5 years ago. writing for 6 years or so on and off.

i have been playing for about 6 years, and dread i have struck the same plateau. it seems to get a lot of people.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
    the same is the best thing I ever heard you do. I think it actually moved me - and that's not easy, trust me.

And at the risk of sounding very gay: nice haircut, suits you well.

thanks. i'll try to dig up the full recorded version of it if you like. i have it somewhere. it turned out fairly good.
    ledhed43 wrote:
    i have been playing for about 6 years, and dread i have struck the same plateau. it seems to get a lot of people.

for me, it's probably mostly a function of not having the spare time required to really get further. but i do the best i can and enjoy it most of the time. it's sort of a love/hate thing though because plateauing means that i can't execute most of the things i hear in my head when i'm writing stuff.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    that was really good. you have a great voice!
    ive been playing for 3 1/2 yrs, and started writing abot 1yr ago. any tips on singing and playing at the same time? stupid question, but i just cant seem to get it.
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    exhausted wrote:
    for me, it's probably mostly a function of not having the spare time required to really get further. but i do the best i can and enjoy it most of the time. it's sort of a love/hate thing though because plateauing means that i can't execute most of the things i hear in my head when i'm writing stuff.

Don't give in to that plateau !! My connection is too slow for youtube so I don't know how well you play, but my ongoing quest to play the whole Metallica opus is my way of avoiding the plateau. I'm just tackling the really fast One solo lately, and finally stringing together all teh pieces of the sedond part of Sweet CVhild, after teh bridge. It'll keep me young for years.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • It's funny how you THINK you've plateaued <( I'm sticking with that spelling even if it IS wrong!), but Exhausted, those were great!

It was moving, and your guitar playing has a passion like you have in your voice.

Thanks for putting them up!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

honestly, i don't have anything. i never could either (and still really can't with a piano) but then one day i could. but i can't play anything complex and sing at the same time. just really basic things.

like how ed can play rvm and sing? yeah, i'll never be able to do that.
    exhausted wrote:
    thanks. i'll try to dig up the full recorded version of it if you like. i have it somewhere. it turned out fairly good.

yeah ok scratch that. i dug it up. it wasn't very good. tempo's too slow so it drags.
  • exhausted wrote:
    honestly, i don't have anything. i never could either (and still really can't with a piano) but then one day i could. but i can't play anything complex and sing at the same time. just really basic things.

like how ed can play rvm and sing? yeah, i'll never be able to do that.

you know its funny that you would use that example, Ex. I've been trying to play and sing that song together forever, still can't do it. Even a month or so back, partied at a guy's house for the first time, few of us picked up guitars, he starts playing RVM on bass, i'm trying to play it on some $40 acoustic, and sing. Man, was that frustrating!

On the topic of your clips, my comp has no working audio. Yeah, that sucks alot, thanks for asking. I really was curious about these clips, and the other thread you started, so i stopped by my parents house, to use their computer. No luck there either, no audio. I don't know what's going on, but sooner or later i'll get to hear this stuff, and i''ll let ya know. Really interested in hearing it.

Cheers, and keep at it.
    ... few of us picked up guitars, he starts playing RVM on bass, i'm trying to play it on some $40 acoustic, and sing. Man, was that frustrating!

haha. i can barely play the riff.
  • i can play the riff no problem, tho if i'm not in good playing shape, the fast downstrokes at the end sorta take their toll. But singing along, impossible.

I know alot of musicians would say Ed is not a great guitar player by any means, but that song is tough while singing. And that was the first PJ song that he played guitar on too. He deserves some props for it.
    i maintain that history remembers the songs, not the guitar heroics. and ed's a great writer.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    exhausted wrote:

please do.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    exhausted wrote:
    i maintain that history remembers the songs, not the guitar heroics. and ed's a great writer.

I like that quote, very true, great playing without great songs is pretty forgettable.
    Music is not a competetion.