Options

*** Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings Chicago, IL Fanviews 2/9/22 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,931
edited February 2022 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings
Auditorium Theatre
February 09, 2022
Chicago, IL
Show One Set List

Eddie Vedder
intro music at 9:10
Intro Music: On My Way-from the album Earthling
Band Onstage: 9:11
Band Offstage: 11:31

Earthlings Band:
Chris Chaney: Bass
Glen Hansard: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Josh Klinghoffer: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Chad Smith: Drums
Andrew Watt: Guitars, bg vocals

Opening: Glen Hansard 8 pm

Earthlings Set List
01. Drive-(Berry, Buck, Mills, Stipe)
(The first concert Ed ever went to was here.  He sat at the very top.  Dedicates the next song to the person in the same seat he first sat in)
02. Room At The Top-(Petty)
03. Here Comes The Sun-(Harrison)
04. I’m One-(Townshend)
05. I’ll Be Waiting-(Vedder, Hansard)-from the Flag Day sound track. Ed and Glen share lead vocals
06. The Dark-from the album Earthling
07. Invincible-from the album Earthling
08. Long Way-from the album Earthling
(Dedicated to Glen Hansard’s mom and Ed’s good friend Beth Murphy of Murphy’s Bleachers)
09. The Haves-from the album Earthling
10. Brother The Cloud-from the album Earthling
11. Fallout Today-from the album Earthling
12. Mrs. Mills-from the album Earthling
13. Not For You-(instead of Modern Girl tag Ed improvs lyrics about traveling to go to Cubs game in his youth and meeting Ernie Banks)
14. Try-from the album Earthling
15. Chad-O
16. Rose Of Jericho-from the album Earthling
17. Precious-(Hynde)
18. Better Man/People Have The Power-(Patti & Fred Smith) {{people have power tag is 2:02 long. Song goes back into Better Man at the end}}

Encore Break
(Ed mentions teachers and not getting paid enough and appreciated. Dedicates the next song to them.)
19. Give Blood-(Townshend)
20. Hard Sun-(Peterson)
21. Dirty Frank
22. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
23. Porch

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Had a blast. I miss Mike, Jeff, Matt, and Stone during the Pj songs, but the other guys hold it down. Andrew representing The Worm.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    The Sleater-Kinney tease was brutal. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Give Blood was a highlight for sho.

• Options

• Options
    Awesome setlist. I would have loved to hear 2 Townshend covers in Newark. You guys in Chi-town got a killer set!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited February 2022
    Chad Smith is a machine!  Damn he is fun to watch!

Ed sounded great,  was in a great mood with a bunch of his friends in the audience.

Dedicated a song to one of his first bandmates Dave, told story how he played bass in it.

Hard Sun rejuvenated the audience for the stretch run.   

Two young boys 9 and 8? Were front row center with their  Dads for their first concert,  Ed took care of them and sang them into the tag of Betterman (maybe not for you cannot recall).  He gave them drum sticks and let them hit his guitar strings and play his guitar like a drum too.  Man they will never forget that night. 

Great show,  great venue, great musicians, great crowd, great night.
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    cjoreacjorea Posts: 69
    edited February 2022
    What a BLAST! BADASS!!!

If N2 has tickets available, HIGHLY recommended... HIGHLY recommended.

Highlights for me were the opening set - Eddie's vocals on the covers, just fantastic... soft spot for Room at the Top, but the whole set.

Invincible was awesome. Long Way live was A+ (made all the "better" with my prime viewing area of Cincinnati dude and his friend making out (more on this below)).

Brother the Cloud and Fallout Today were home runs.

At this point its important to emphasize that the whole band was just rocking - so engaged, so nicely done.... just awesome.

The song before Betterman (aka Rose of Jericho) was BADASS.

I was admittedly biased towards the new songs (as I thought they were great), but that cover of Give Blood was just WOW - whole band was TOPS.

Dirty Frank was another band "effort," but the underlying "RHCP funk" was kick ass.... Again, the band as a whole made it work (almost like you wouldn't even imagine), but the Boss on drums, and the guitar(s) Watt particularly.... hahahahaha - what FUN.

I must admit a little PJ "nostalgia" hit at this point. Almost as much as Not For You and then again during Porch..., but it was awesome seeing how they put everything together in their own way, and they ROCKED it.... Just rocked it.... Nicely done, gentleman.

N2 - totally worth it.
    And can't wait.

Personal highlights:
    * Quick estimate of people recording Betterman on their cell phones was 1 out of every 3 in attendnce (watch out social media)... I'm pretty sure "BC" (before covid), this wouldn't have meant all that much, but it was good to be out again ... and from my "room at the top" pretty cool to see.

* The last time I saw Chad Smith play a concert (way back when) he had a broken arm.... For reasons that are still unclear to me, he had his cast in the "style" of Henry Rowengartner, and he drummed the whole show using one arm. I remember being most impressed (besides the obvious, that he drummed better than most people with two arms) at his ability to (and frequency at which he would) throw drumsticks into audience. I remembered this (almost like it was yesterday) when he purposefully shorthopped someone in the front row with this perfect toss, and gave this little nod of acknowledgment, like "we're good"....

One of my only complaints about the evening was Chad-O was not long enough.... And that we didn't get Little Wing/Maggot Brain.

* Cincinatti dude - I think four seconds after the band took the stage, atleast half of the theatre was informed that Cincinatti was in the house.... and re-reminded of this fact at various times thereafter.... by the gentleman (and his friend) who formed a direct line between me and the stage...

Eddie - "I Know alot of people traveled to get here..."
    Me - waiting... waiting...
    Dude - "Cincinatti, Eddie!!! Cincinatttttti"

Eddie (adressing his friend Dave in the audience): "Was it Wisconsin that we travelled to play a show at?"
    Dude - "Cincinatti, Eddie"

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see dude's sign (6x sheets of printer paper taped together).... I'm sure it was good..., but the "fond" memories of him and his friend during Long Way will be enough.

I should mention, no ill-intentions here - they seemed like they had a blast, and it took the entire show for someone to tell him to shutup, so people obviously weren't that annoyed... save perhaps for the person he spilled his beer on.

#####

I could go on... as unfortunately I am sitting at home and not drinking with Theo and Eddie... but I'll leave it all at that.

See you tmrw.
    Post edited by cjorea on
  • Options
    Looks like a great show.
  • Options
    We were in same section as Cincy guy. Brutal

Before last night I didn’t really care about Super Bowl winner. After last night Let’s go Rams! 
  • Options
    SkeeterBSkeeterB If I knew where it was, I would take you there... Posts: 422
    Adding on to cjorea’s post (since his post hit it right on), there was a huge banner at one point that said “Boring Fans” which made Ed laugh. 
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • Options
    Cincy guy?

I thought I was Cincy guy? 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 120
    jh275312 said:

Before last night I didn’t really care about Super Bowl winner. After last night Let’s go Rams! 
    I was there in the middle balcony and the people by me were really irritated with the guy. One of those people with that huge voice and I seriously thought Eddie was going to get upset with him. 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    You can tell this band enjoys this little experimental stint as a group. Evening felt loose, got more buttoned up as the evening rolled along.

The Chad Smith drumstick splash zone is legit. Glad I was on the outskirts because they were raining all night.

Shows like tonight gave me more appreciation for Watt & Josh. Great musicians and they add so much more to an EV solo show. Glen was great as always, hope we see a little more of him tonight.

While I’ve been fortunate to see EV in Chicago multiple times, I’m always happy to see him tell stories about the Cubs or Auditorium Theatre. Also didn’t realize Glen spent time in Chicago for a period of time.

New songs sounded great live. Makes me more confident that the rest of the album will change people’s minds if they haven’t been too impressed. Invincible felt very U2 in the best ways possible and likely my newest favorite track.

Can’t wait to see what we get tonight.

• Options
    BK221359BK221359 Charleston, SC Posts: 237
    jh275312 said:

Funny…let’s hope they are hungover for tonight 
    Pensacola, FL - 3-9-1994
    New Orleans, LA - 9-17-1995
    New Orleans, LA - 8-14-2000
    Lexington, KY - 4-26-2016
    Nashville, TN - 6-9-2016 (TMR)
    Bonnaroo - 6-11-2016
    Chicago, IL - 8-18-2018 & 8-20-2018
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9-18-2021
    Ohana Fest - 9-26-2021
    Ohana Fest Encore - 10-1-2021 & 10-2-2021
  • Options
    tschav said:
    You can tell this band enjoys this little experimental stint as a group. Evening felt loose, got more buttoned up as the evening rolled along.

The Chad Smith drumstick splash zone is legit. Glad I was on the outskirts because they were raining all night.

Shows like tonight gave me more appreciation for Watt & Josh. Great musicians and they add so much more to an EV solo show. Glen was great as always, hope we see a little more of him tonight.

While I’ve been fortunate to see EV in Chicago multiple times, I’m always happy to see him tell stories about the Cubs or Auditorium Theatre. Also didn’t realize Glen spent time in Chicago for a period of time.

New songs sounded great live. Makes me more confident that the rest of the album will change people’s minds if they haven’t been too impressed. Invincible felt very U2 in the best ways possible and likely my newest favorite track.

Can’t wait to see what we get tonight.

Love your pictures! I’m a big fan of Invincible too. 
  • Options
    11111111111111111111 Posts: 1
    edited February 2022
    First and foremost, the show was FANTASTIC!  I felt like I was at a party where Eddie invited 1000s of his closest friends. It was a blast!  Great music, great crowd. All seemed to really enjoy themselves, including Eddie and his bandmates. I love what he played of his new album and it left me wanting more.

Now for the distractions. I too, was in the same section as 'Cincinnati Guy' and his girl on Wednesday night. They put on quite a show themselves.  I was noticed due to my Bengals mask and they wanted to become fast friends.  I AM from Cincinnati (born and raised) and would like to point out they are from Covington, Kentucky. No shade being thrown, just saying... 

As far as the Super Bowl goes, the 'flock of sheep' are going down. The Bengals are still hungry!  Who Dey! 

Post edited by 1111111111 on
  • Options
    I thought the show was great. Not For You was probably my favorite. I have been watching all the videos of the new stuff so it helped that I could hum along with all of the Earthling songs. Love the Townshend covers. Hard Sun really kicks ass live. I'm not a huge Dirty Frank fan but it is so good in a live setting. Also really like People Have The Power and had to download the Patti Smith song which is a plus because new music is always good. 

I really like the new stuff, Invincible, The Dark, Fallout Today etc. Seeing Chad, Glen and Josh was cool and holy cow does Andrew Watt really bring the energy and is pretty damn good on guitar also! Not sure who this is in the photo but I thought it was pretty cool.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,926
    Jcanr20 said:
    I thought the show was great. Not For You was probably my favorite. I have been watching all the videos of the new stuff so it helped that I could hum along with all of the Earthling songs. Love the Townshend covers. Hard Sun really kicks ass live. I'm not a huge Dirty Frank fan but it is so good in a live setting. Also really like People Have The Power and had to download the Patti Smith song which is a plus because new music is always good. 

I really like the new stuff, Invincible, The Dark, Fallout Today etc. Seeing Chad, Glen and Josh was cool and holy cow does Andrew Watt really bring the energy and is pretty damn good on guitar also! Not sure who this is in the photo but I thought it was pretty cool.

I love your photo. The one lone person standing with arms outstretched makes for an excellent composition.

• Options
    Berlin2000Berlin2000 NYC Posts: 112
    Incredible pic! 
    PJ: 2000-6-25: Berlin, GER | 2005-3-18: Seattle, WA | 2006-6-30: Milwaukee, WI | 2009-8-24: Chicago, IL | 2012-7-5: Berlin, GER | 2013-7-19: Chicago, IL | 2014-10-17: Moline, IL | 2014-10-20: Milwaukee, WI | 2016-8-20: Chicago 1, IL | 2016-8-22: Chicago 2, IL | 2018-8-18: Chicago N1 |  2018-8-20: Chicago 2, IL | 2021-9-18: Asbury Park, NJ | 2022-9-11: MSG, NY | 2023-9-5: Chicago, IL |
    EV: 2017-9-2: Dana Point, CA | 2022-2-3: NYC 1, NY | 2022-2-4: NYC 2, NY
  • Options
    DL236795DL236795 Gold Coast, Australia Posts: 29
    That should be the cover of the live album!
    Brisbane 1998 #1, Brisbane 2003 #1, #2, Brisbane 2006 #1, #2, Brisbane 2009, Gold Coast 2014
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    Jcanr20 said:

Great photo! I love it.

• Options
    Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,956
    edited February 2022
    Generational Spectrum:

1992. Drive-(Berry, Buck, Mills, Stipe)
    1999. Room At The Top-(Petty)
    1969. Here Comes The Sun-(Harrison)
    1973. I’m One-(Townshend)
    2021. I’ll Be Waiting-(from the Flag Day sound track)
    2022. The Dark-from the album Earthling
    2022. Invincible-from the album Earthling
    2022. Long Way-from the album Earthling
    2022. The Haves-from the album Earthling
    2022. Brother The Cloud-from the album Earthling
    2022. Fallout Today-from the album Earthling
    2022. Mrs. Mills-from the album Earthling
    1994. Not For You-(Vitalogy, and Cubs story instead of Modern Girl tag)
    2022. Try-from the album Earthling
    2022. Chad-O
    2022. Rose Of Jericho-from the album Earthling
    1980. Precious-(Hynde)
    1994/1988. Better Man/People Have The Power-(Patti & Fred Smith)

1985. Give Blood-(Townshend)
    2007. Hard Sun-(1989, Peterson)
    1992. Dirty Frank (Ten-era)
    1970. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
    1991. Porch (Ten)
    Post edited by Go Animal on
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!