the boss fender deluxe reverb pedal

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
is actually not bad. in front of my valve junior it's actually pretty handy. i'm still working with it but so far it seemed promising.

even if only for the reverb since, unlike every other freakin' reverb pedal out there, this one doesn't hiss.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    good to hear about the reverb, how is the tremolo?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's not bad. the rate is sort of a pain in the ass to set but the range is wider than the actual amp. on the amp, i would like slower speeds than i can get. doesn't sound as smooth as the real thing but i've not had a change to do a full A/B yet.

they should have done the control layout like this since they can only fit four pots in.

level/gain stacked
    treble/bass stacked
    reverb level
    trem rate/intensity stacked

as it is it's

level/gain
    treble
    bass
    reverb/trem depth with mucking around with the footswitch and depth knob to set rate.

that's my beef control layout wise.
    yeah, in the last year I've also become a layout freak.

I'm going to petition congress that all pedals be built hence forth with all power and I/O's being put on the top of all pedals to conserve PB space.

I would have thought the Bassman model might be more useful for you with your rig.

Tap Tempo is freaking ridiculously overrated. I can set a rate with a knob in 2 seconds
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, in the last year I've also become a layout freak.

I'm going to petition congress that all pedals be built hence forth with all power and I/O's being put on the top of all pedals to conserve PB space.

I would have thought the Bassman model might be more useful for you with your rig.

Tap Tempo is freaking ridiculously overrated. I can set a rate with a knob in 2 seconds

Tap Tempo, even if your off a touch, the drummer will adjust (well at least he should!).

I'm assuming you can't use just the reverb or the tremolo out of the pedal?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Tap Tempo, even if your off a touch, the drummer will adjust (well at least he should!).

I'm assuming you can't use just the reverb or the tremolo out of the pedal?

it's pretty neutral with the treble and bass at noon. if you dial the gain to be clean and at unity, it's effectively just reverb and trem.

paco, i was primarily interested in the EQ and reverb functionality for my valve jr so the bassman was ruled out. the DR pedal adds a little bit of missing sparkle to the valve jr. i didn't feel the bassman overlay would be a good match.
    exhausted wrote:
    it's pretty neutral with the treble and bass at noon. if you dial the gain to be clean and at unity, it's effectively just reverb and trem.

paco, i was primarily interested in the EQ and reverb functionality for my valve jr so the bassman was ruled out. the DR pedal adds a little bit of missing sparkle to the valve jr. i didn't feel the bassman overlay would be a good match.

ah, indeed. I forgot about the VR, I thought you were using it in the DRRI. That's why I thought the bassman would be a better fit, different flavor.
  • exhausted wrote:

On a side note, have you done anything else to your junior? Besides the input resistor?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

no, i've left it alone. i'm generally happy with it as is.
  • exhausted wrote:
    no, i've left it alone. i'm generally happy with it as is.

I'm glad I did what I did to mine. My buddy, started with a new board, went to a carbon cap's etc. Also can run either a EL84 or a 6V6 in it, and with either tube it is just smoking. (The pre-amp section is the version that is in my Junior) Sure those carbon's don't last, but who cares, it's all about the tone!

He mostly did the project as a cheap entry level into amp building. He has now accomplished a 5E3 kit, which sounds great. Now he is coming up with a single EL34, two 12ax7 (roughly 7 watt output) circuit to do in a head for myself. Something low wattage with some more gain, hopefully I get the money to do it quick enough before the new album starts getting tracked (shooting for all my guitar parts to be done with either a lipstick pickup guitar or P'90s, and all low wattage amps).

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    The Valve Jr must be a diamond in the rough. I tried the Epiphone Firefly DSP 30W today and it sucked HARD. Went to an Ampeg 15W (tube) and still wasn't satisfied for cleans. Only time I was happy was when I threw a Boss Metal Zone and BF-3 in front of it and cranked it.

Anyone else have picky tone days?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:

only any day that i play.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Novawind wrote:
    exhausted wrote:
    only any day that i play.
    Same here - I'm always tweaking about trying to get my tone just right.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Same here - I'm always tweaking about trying to get my tone just right.

- Ian

Everyday of my life. I just don't try to over react and rush out to buy something else to change it up.

some clips. a telecaster with SCNs through my valve jr. head and my deluxe reverb speaker (a V30). no effects other that the FDR-1 itself and some compressor on the last clip. the pedal was set sort of driven and i tried to show how it cleans up. the treble control was neutral the bass was up a touch.

A

B guitar volume to clean it up.

C

tremolo volume rolled down at first.

reverb

you can hear some of the sort of ring mod type thing sometimes. i've heard this in other digital models with the excuse that it's emulating rectifier sag. not sure if i buy it. but i've never played a vintage DR either. my reissue doesn't do it.

other than that, i'm pretty happy with it. makes the valve jr. sound bigger and gives me some EQ flexibility which is all i wanted.

how much it sounds like an actual DR depends on what it's running into. an actual DR is fuller sounding that this arrangement but the valve jr sounds small to start with. also, lots more gain in the pedal that the actual amp too.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Nice!
    So the big question to me is:

How does the Deluxe Reverb Pedal sound through the Deluxe Reverb? :D
    Some neighbors want me to play surf music with them and that pedal through the DRRI might be pretty cool!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart