i finally found the "red mosquito" fuzz tone

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
mike's fuzz on that track is my benchmark for fuzztone. absolutely my favourite. i've sort of come close with a muff before. had an analogman sunface that was brilliant but not quite right. and too expensive for me really. i've been using a boss FZ-3 for a while and it's pretty nice too but more over the top. nice in it's own way.

today i found a used dunlop fuzzface reissue for cheap and damned if it doesn't pull the tone off perfectly. not sure how old it is, post 2000. still says dallas arbiter england in the smile. it has (probably rebranded low quality) NKT275s but sounds really really good to me. fiddled with the trimpots a bit and it was good to go.

too bad it's the size of a dinner plate.

i don't actually know what pedal mike played on that song.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    exhausted wrote:
    mike's fuzz on that track is my benchmark for fuzztone. absolutely my favourite. i've sort of come close with a muff before. had an analogman sunface that was brilliant but not quite right. and too expensive for me really. i've been using a boss FZ-3 for a while and it's pretty nice too but more over the top. nice in it's own way.

today i found a used dunlop fuzzface reissue for cheap and damned if it doesn't pull the tone off perfectly. not sure how old it is, post 2000. still says dallas arbiter england in the smile. it has (probably rebranded low quality) NKT275s but sounds really really good to me. fiddled with the trimpots a bit and it was good to go.

too bad it's the size of a dinner plate.

i don't actually know what pedal mike played on that song.

I wouldn't be suprised if he used that pedal. Can't you put all the shit into a smaller box?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it won't fit into a small mxr box, mostly because the footswitch is mounted to the circuit board. but i think it will fit into the next size up with no problem. i may do that during my big pedal building week.

i have a russian big muff i need to do the same thing to.
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    God I love that tone too.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    How is the pedal? Good hendrix tones? I'm thinkin about getting one.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    How is the pedal? Good hendrix tones? I'm thinkin about getting one.

i don't actually listen to a lot of hendrix so i don't know for sure. maybe through the right amp it would.

there's a new dunlop fuzzface that is silicon transistor based and might be closer. but it's about the same price as the fulltone 70 which is supposed to be band of gypsies-ish.