Speakers for Record player

I understand when posting this thread, that you all would suggest Carlsson and that you yourself use Carlsson speakers.
And so did I for a short while. Borrowed a pair from my brother. The Swedish design and quality is tough, maybe even impossible, to beat. I get that.

But they were too big for my small apartment. So I gave them back and am now without speakers. So I am looking for some good but small ones. I don't have much space to fill up and I want to have them standing on my IKEA Stockholm (speaking of Swedish design and quality) TV bench. 

So, any suggestions for good smaller speakers/satellites? Models or just what brand to look for? IS SONY STILL THE BRAND TO GET?!

Would be nice if they looked good with my Record player, which is a Pioneer PL-510 with a nice old fashioned woodpanel finish. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Speakers- wow, tough subject.  There are so many to chose from and it so much depends on the listening space and the preference of the listener.  I have a small listening space (a room about 10" x 11" or 3.05m x 3.35m) so my little pair of Polk Audio TSi100 work great for me.  They create a good, balanced sound on Gator Frameworks foam isolation pads, placed a couple feet out from carpeted wall corners, and placed in an equilateral triangle to where I sit when listening. 
    But I also got a second pair gratis due to a seller making super good on a mix up and put them in the living room.  They are OK there but the sound is a bit more lost in that space.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Hobbes said:
    Thank you. 

I'm looking at buying a pair of Kanto YU (22cm tall) or YU2 (15cm tall).

Is there anything speaking against buying active speakers instead of passive? Other than price? 

..Kind of nifty having bluetooth functionality in the same speakers used for the record player, or?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,692
    Hobbes said:
    Thank you. 

I'm looking at buying a pair of Kanto YU (22cm tall) or YU2 (15cm tall).

Is there anything speaking against buying active speakers instead of passive? Other than price? 

..Kind of nifty having bluetooth functionality in the same speakers used for the record player, or?
    I have the Audioengine 5+ and I really like them. I also use the bluetooth feature when listening to ITunes - so it is nice to have that option. However, I don't know enough about speakers to make a recommendation. I just know I like them.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I recommend Klipsch bookshelf speakers. You can't get much better than Klipsch when it comes to speakers! I have these, and they're great for the size: https://www.klipsch.ca/products/b-20-bookshelf-speakers-pair
    Klipsch isn't selling them directly anymore, but I'm sure you could find them selling somewhere online still.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you want to REALLY get the best sound from smaller speakers, go for these ones: https://www.klipsch.ca/products/rp-600m-bookshelf-speakers

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    PJ_Soul said:
    I recommend Klipsch bookshelf speakers. You can't get much better than Klipsch when it comes to speakers! I have these, and they're great for the size: https://www.klipsch.ca/products/b-20-bookshelf-speakers-pair
    Klipsch isn't selling them directly anymore, but I'm sure you could find them selling somewhere online still.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you want to REALLY get the best sound from smaller speakers, go for these ones: https://www.klipsch.ca/products/rp-600m-bookshelf-speakers

I echo this. I love my Klipsch speakers 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2022
    So, with active speakers... I can plug them directly into the recordplayer? And I can skip/sell my receiver I use now? I can be free of reciever use?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    So, with active speakers... I can plug them directly into the recordplayer? And I can skip/sell my receiver I use now? I can be free of reciever use?
    Yes.

I was actually reading about a klipsch set of powered speakers today that also have a built in phono stage, so if your turntable doesn’t have one you don’t need one 

I’m no expert on powered speakers, but I assume ones with a phono stage aren’t that common?