Options

MURDERVILLE (Netflix) (Will Arnett with improvising guests)

https://youtu.be/4IBi7gN2THE

Murder mystery, where the guest doesn't have a script or know who the murderer is. Released now.

The premise might be funnier than the execution. Felt like Conan was hamstrung by being pushed through the structure of the narrative. Sharon Stone's episode I enjoyed because of her "anti comedy" and just being cool and playing the part. 

Based on a British show, that people seem to think is funnier:

https://youtu.be/VLtr_Sdfge4

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    Ranking in enjoyment:

1. Kumail Nanjiani
    2. Marshawn Lynch
    3. Conan O'Brien
    4. Sharon Stone
    5. Ken Jeong
    6. Annie Murphy
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Can't at least someone watch this?
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    We tried watching 3 different episodes for fifteen minutes ea. It is a terrible show, we really wanted to like it.  Will Arnett should never be anything more than a supporting character.  That was one of the worst things I have ever attempted to watch.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    We only watched about half of the first episode but I thought it was funny so far.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    static111 said:
    We tried watching 3 different episodes for fifteen minutes ea. It is a terrible show, we really wanted to like it.  Will Arnett should never be anything more than a supporting character.  That was one of the worst things I have ever attempted to watch.  
    I think it would have been more fun if it was not a de facto game show "guess the killeeeeeer!"... and instead was a CSI pastiche with just having a guest star in each episode improvising. 

It was weird having like somewhat of a story as a thread through the episodes but at the same time looking like it was shot with no budget and being a gameshow with every episode having the exact same structure. ...
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I think it would have been more fun if it was not a de facto game show "guess the killeeeeeer!"... and instead was a CSI pastiche with just having a guest star in each episode improvising. 

It was weird having like somewhat of a story as a thread through the episodes but at the same time looking like it was shot with no budget and being a gameshow with every episode having the exact same structure. ...
    I think it could have been funny if Will Arnett was only in a supporting role.  He is crap as a lead, at least in this.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,556
    edited February 2022
    Yeah. Sure. I think you are correct. And maybe the lead should be more of a straight man guy, like Jason Bateman.

But I also, think that being a show about improvisation.. they rush people through the rigid structure of the gameshow too much. The improvisation is too much of short minigames on the rigid structure path.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Yeah. Sure. I think you are correct. And maybe the lead should be more of a straight man guy, like Jason Bateman.

But I also, think that being a show about improvisation.. they rush people through the rigid structure of the gameshow too much. The improvisation is too much of short minigames on the rigid structure path.
     The whole thing does feel rushed.  I will never know, I really don't plan on ever trying this one out again.  The Kumail episode was the funniest of the three we tried, but we still just couldn't finish it.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Marshawn lynch is a national treasure