Newark song request- Forever Young for my newborn daughter

steven87steven87 Posts: 1,445
I’ve never made a song request before, but I figured that since my daughter, and future PJ super fan (whether she likes it or not- she has no choice in the matter), Sloane Harper, was born a week and a half ago, now is the time! My wife (also a fan) is an absolute saint and is letting me go to the show despite the fact that we have a 10-day-old at home. The fact that I’m planning on attending a concert with a 10-day-old at home proves beyond any doubt that I’m “out of my mind,” but that’s an issue for another day. I thought long and hard about which PJ song to request, and then realized that the most fitting song was actually not a PJ song at all, but rather a song Ed has covered at some of his past solo shows- forever young. The past two years living during the pandemic have been dark times, filled with death and despair. Many of us have lost friends and loved ones to the pandemic. But the other side of the coin is that at the same time, new life has come into this world each and every day; such is the circle of life. So while it is important for us to honor and remember those who we have lost, we should not forget to celebrate those who have recently entered this world. And we owe it to the next generations to do whatever we can during our own lives to leave this world a better place than we inherited it. To Sloane and all of the other babies born during the pandemic, “May you stay forever young.”

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Congrats to you and your wife! I have two daughters myself, and yes, your wife is a saint! Haha! Sleep when you can & take lots of photos, they grow and change quickly! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Congrats.

I did the same thing. My wife went to a show  with me 12 days before her due date and I went by myself to a rescheduled night 2, 17 days after our youngest son was born. 

I still get crap for doing it though, so be prepared to pay for it for years 😂

• steven87steven87 Posts: 1,445
    Congrats to you and your wife! I have two daughters myself, and yes, your wife is a saint! Haha! Sleep when you can & take lots of photos, they grow and change quickly! 
    Thanks!!! Couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate than going to an Ed show! This will be by far the most exhausted I’ve ever been for a PJ/EV show, but will totally be worth it!
    Congrats.

I did the same thing. My wife went to a show  with me 12 days before her due date and I went by myself to a rescheduled night 2, 17 days after our youngest son was born. 

I still get crap for doing it though, so be prepared to pay for it for years 😂

Thanks!!! Wow that’s wild- glad I’m not the only lunatic on this board! I’ll owe my wife for eternity for this, but will be totally worth it. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    Congrats!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Congrats!!!
    Thanks!!!
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,937
    I remember being in the same position back in 2003… had tickets for both MSG shows and Holmdel a few days later while my wife was due with our first.  I made it to all three and now that baby is 18.  Time flies!  Enjoy it and I hope you get your song tonight!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:
    I remember being in the same position back in 2003… had tickets for both MSG shows and Holmdel a few days later while my wife was due with our first.  I made it to all three and now that baby is 18.  Time flies!  Enjoy it and I hope you get your song tonight!
    Thanks! Extremely exhausted but couldn’t be more excited for the show tonight!
  • dsg4dsg4 Posts: 188
    So close….

you got the version of forever young that sounds almost exactly like wishlist!!!
  • Awesome shoutout !!! 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,689
    I hope the OP got the Wishlist intro on video. 
    dsg4 said:
    So close….

you got the version of forever young that sounds almost exactly like wishlist!!!
    Wow, that was pretty epic- the forever young intro to wishlist! But seriously, Ed couldn’t have picked a more appropriate song. Certainly a moment I’ll never forget, and one for which I’ll be eternally grateful to Ed and the rest of the band. Still can’t believe they took time out of the show to recognize the birth of my daughter- stunned is the only word I can use. And I fully deserved to be ridiculed for attending a show with a 10 (now 11) day old at home (something which no rational person in their right mind would ever do). Also Ed, thank you for not calling child services on me. 

I’ll leave a full review in fanviews tomorrow (as I’m going to spend the rest of the night being a responsible dad taking care of my newborn daughter), but suffice it to say the show was fantastic! Awesome energy, great diverse setlist, and the guys really seemed to be having a blast up there. It was truly cathartic to take a break for a few hours from covid, the ever increasing partisanship and divisiveness, the constant negativity of the 24-hour news cycle, etc., and to join together again to celebrate and appreciate the power of live music. If you have the opportunity to attend one of the Ed and the Earthlings shows, GO!!! You will not be disappointed!
    GlowGirl said:
    I hope the OP got the Wishlist intro on video. 
    I was in too much of a state of shock to take out my phone and record it. But fortunately my buddy I was with got most of it. Going to make a great memory for little Sloane!
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Oh do please elaborate after you’ve gotten some rest! I would love to hear what he said for you! :)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Congrats on everything, steven87.  It's really impressive that Eddie takes the time to read this board (or at least have things relayed to him) and he acts on it.
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,341
    Ed went in on him, basically asking how are you here right now and not at home? Even referenced a divorce attorney. It was funny and cool.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • That’s such an amazing story. Can’t wait to hear more about it. Including whether or not it allowed you not to sleep on the couch for a month! 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Just saw the clip on YouTube. Truly amazing. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Costa Rica 11

• Just saw the clip on YouTube. Truly amazing. 
    Do you have the link? 

Can’t seem to find it 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    yes, please I cant either.
  • Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Costa Rica 11

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    edited February 2022
    This is beautiful - congrats to you and Sloane OP!

Edit: can’t help noticing Chad spinning those sticks in the background - so much energy!! He’s like let’s go I want to drum ;)
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Yeah wow just saw it too. Can’t believe someone was able to capture the whole thing (and in such great quality)! I’ll be playing it for Sloane over and over again every night while rocking her to sleep (she’ll probably be sick of it within a week). Here’s the link for those of you interested- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RHAhDRVwzRc

I thought the best part was Ed asking “what the fu**” I was doing there (valid point), and mentioning that he knows a divorce attorney if my wife needs one. Fortunately my wife is a good sport and also a PJ fan (though not as crazy as me), so she gets it. And the deal I made with her was if I went to the show, I would stay up with baby Sloane every night for a week (totally worth it). I just showed her the video and she cracked up and went, “Eddie will always be my champion.” Hear, hear! But seriously, that was a very special moment for me, my wife, and little Sloane (although she doesn’t know it yet!), and one that we will certainly cherish forever. Words cannot express how thankful I am to Ed, the band, and the rest of this amazing community for making this special moment happen for me and my family. I can’t thank you guys enough. 

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    steven87 said:
    I’ve never made a song request before, but I figured that since my daughter, and future PJ super fan (whether she likes it or not- she has no choice in the matter), Sloane Harper, was born a week and a half ago, now is the time! My wife (also a fan) is an absolute saint and is letting me go to the show despite the fact that we have a 10-day-old at home. The fact that I’m planning on attending a concert with a 10-day-old at home proves beyond any doubt that I’m “out of my mind,” but that’s an issue for another day. I thought long and hard about which PJ song to request, and then realized that the most fitting song was actually not a PJ song at all, but rather a song Ed has covered at some of his past solo shows- forever young. The past two years living during the pandemic have been dark times, filled with death and despair. Many of us have lost friends and loved ones to the pandemic. But the other side of the coin is that at the same time, new life has come into this world each and every day; such is the circle of life. So while it is important for us to honor and remember those who we have lost, we should not forget to celebrate those who have recently entered this world. And we owe it to the next generations to do whatever we can during our own lives to leave this world a better place than we inherited it. To Sloane and all of the other babies born during the pandemic, “May you stay forever young.”

So happy for you that your Sloane got a dedication!  I was sitting directly behind you. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Awesome story love to see it. Congrats and enjoy the new adventure. Being a parent is the best thing in the world for me.
    Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate it. What a crazy and exciting thing to happen during little Sloane’s second week on earth.